Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Show off your monk!

Discussion in 'Monk' started by windstriker, Aug 6, 2012. | Replies: 205 | Views: 49166

1. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

Show off you monk! I am REALLY interested in seeing how people are geared!
    Here I am in the gear I use most of the time, badly need a new pair of gloves with more nice stats though atm but there are never any with the amount of resistance I want at the ah :(

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Faffner-1572/hero/357121

After gloves Im not sure how to spend my riches, want more dmg at the same time as I keep my survival. Any tips on how to spend 70 mill in a good way?
  2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Re: Show off you monk!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/vishnu-1844/hero/4329856

My gear is a little bit... not good. I'm focusing on my wiz and barb right now. My weapons in particular lack any kind of crit damage, and my helm lacks crit chance. Many of my items also simply have really low dex. My defensive stats are fine though, so I was able to clear through all of inferno no problem, my DPS is just terrible if I were to start using the monk as my farming char (which I don't plan to do).
  3. InsaneAction

InsaneAction IncGamers Member

[​IMG]

If I could log into Bnet Diablo3 forms I'd leave my profile that way. But having the phone based authenticator and working where I can't have my phone on me makes that hard. So this pic will have to do... All items/stats are current.
  4. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Love your weapon, and bracers.
    I suggest replacing your Dream Shelter ring.
    I'll have to post up what I have, but a ring I found and love: +69 Dex +30%critdam +253LOH +128rep Life. Combined with an Amulet I got from Auction House for 1M I get exactly 900LOH. Amulet : +22-59 Damage +647LOH +370Replenish Life +38 ArcaneResist.

5. windstriker

Ive been meaning to do that, and will most likely use another ring that I have which would boost my DPS with 3k and give me another 15% MF. However, atm I would lose too much resistance if I did that so I need to upgrade some other slots before. It's a really hard balance between dmg and survivability, especially while aiming at getting as much MF as possible at the same time :D

@InsaneAction
    I really like those pants :p

@All
    It's fun to see that people do not always aim at the exactly same stuff, I seem to be alone with looking at MF as one of the more important stats ;)

6. magicrectangle

If you're farming a1/2 quickly MF makes sense. For a3 you generally can't trade too much in for MF before your kill speed or survivability start to suffer.

7. windstriker

That is true, but I do farm act3 with my gear and I do have quite some MF atm

8. magicrectangle

Looks like you've got 110 mf, which is nice, you haven't compromised too much on either survival or damage. People farming a1/2 are stacking up to like 300 MF. I'm happy to pick up MF where I can get it without compromising much on damage or survival, too. Of course my monk isn't my MF char so I don't have any there, but on my wizard I've got some MF pieces with decent other stats.

9. windstriker

It's always a fine balance ;) In the end, it will be all about rares/hour for my part. Atm that means a bit more dmg, and perhaps a bit more survivability. 90% of all the elite packs pretty much just die, but there are also a few phase beast packs that are insane and pretty much unkillable without using some cheap kiting tactics. Fast/nightmarish/arcane are insane. Problem is, the fastest way to gain a lot of rares will most likely always be to instead just aim for the stats I have right now with more mf and just skip those packs because if I want them easily killable I need quite a lot more survivability. But I just hate skipping packs so I never do it, and they always die eventually...

Someone here who never has any trouble with phase beast packs with their gear? And I mean NEVER, not in 95% of the encounters. That aint enough. 80% of them are easy, 10% need a bit of work, 10% need a lot of work atm for my part.

And MOAR profile-linking! I want to discuss and compare!
  10. Armor_Biff

Armor_Biff IncGamers Member

Here is mine. I'm still stuck in act 1. Got totally destroyed in act 2 by the first elite pack, so I realized I wasnt ready for act 2 yet.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ArmorBiff-2752/hero/2540698

Currently self found items that I have equipped are the weapon, boots, body armor and one ring (Glory Lash).
  11. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baron-1545/hero/3132279

I was more offensive (30% + crit, around 1k dex and stuff). I tried to bum lres a bit for act 3 and lost some damage. It didn't work. Thoughts? Also, do I need to replace both daggers. I never managed to kill one elite pact on act 3 on my 2 tries...
  12. thehipone

thehipone IncGamers Member

13. windstriker

Just took a fast look, but atm I do not think that your weapons are where the problem lies. You kinda need more armor and resistance. Both you could get from a shield, and there you could also get some extra crit chance if that seems attractive to you. You will however lose quite some dmg I guess, as the extra crit dmg will be much lower.
    I do not think that you are that far from being able to do some dmg to act 3 elites, but you need a couple of quite easily attainable upgrades :)

14. InsaneAction

InsaneAction IncGamers Member

Your Weapons are fine, you need more resists... Also stop using MoR, change it out for MoE or MoH. MoH with Time of Need would probably help you most. Also your gems are grossly under leveled. Work on finding a better chest piece and pants... Those would be your weaker links. Your ammy could be changed out but I see why you're using it so when ever you get to it that would help you a lot. Also you're stacking a lot of Vit to be running a DW DPS build... The build you're trying to use needs more DPS.

If you don't take anything else away from when I said take this, get rid of MoR... That's hurting you more than it's helping you.

15. Genocides

Genocides IncGamers Site Pal

16. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

As guys above say your weapons are fine (I think they are great, much better than mine and I killed all elites down to Ghom).
    Your dex is extremely low. Monks get way more benefit both offensively and defensively from primary stat than any class because of Seize the Initiative and dodge being so good. It is fairly linear, at 5000 defense and 2000 dex : +100 dex will give 5% damage, about 1% mitigation from defense, and about 1.7% DR from dodge (measuring DR in this case as x [100% - DR]). Yeah, that's a 2.7% bonus mitigation making dex very efficient.

17k damage you are probably struggling even in Act 2. Spam MC Overawe, you get +48% damage constantly. When I geared up totally ignoring crit and AS and using a shield, I had 31k damage with 500 resists, 6k defense. Recently I switched from Blade Storm to crit chance and OWE and cyclone, and let my damage drop to 25k but better killing speed. Point is damage from dex is much cheaper to buy than crit/AS until about 2000 dex you need to switch over.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/GAK-6148/hero/21891245
    I am in the middle of moving to arcane resist and crit chance and have dropped a lot of dex.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  17. joub

joub IncGamers Member

Hey all, this is my first post -- I really liked the discussion and stuff on this forum, so I thought I'd join.

also, what, no Daibo monks?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Shazbot-1333/hero/4205366

Trying to gear up to farm A3 soon...bidding on about 20 things right now haha

Anyway, any advice/suggestions on where to proceed from here? 2H build ideas? Let me know!
  18. harkamus

harkamus IncGamers Member

19. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

All good gear ! 2H are so slow. Not good for triggering LOH and Cyclone. This makes them unpopular. Also it's very hard to beat the bonuses from a second weapon or shield. 10 points for style though.
    I thought you would be using crippling wave considering your helm ? I used that for a long time and it works really well with less APS.

20. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member