Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should the gay pride parade be held in jerusalem?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Void, Nov 7, 2006. | Replies: 89 | Views: 2362

1. The Void

The Void Banned

Should the gay pride parade be held in jerusalem?

For the past several weeks, Israel has been holding its breath - the gay parade, scheduled for November 10th, is going to be held in Jerusalem. Holy city Jerusalem, that is, the city where people are actually going to go out and hurt and murder people for defying the bible and making their holy city "unholy".

Just a few points of information:
    - The parade is not going to go through any of the highly religious streets, nor is it going to go through the ancient holy city at all - just municipal Jerusalem, the capital of Israel.
    - So far, many (I believe it's fair to say most) powerful Rabbi's have authorized for their followers to go out and hurt anyone who will be participating in the parade.
    - All of the police will be present or on duty, the guarding is that heavy.
    - Despite the heavy guarding, last year during the gay parade (that was also held in Jersualem), a guy got stabbed.
    - The resistance is that bad that extreme Muslims, extreme Christians and extreme Jews are all united in the battle against the parade. It really is THAT bad.

There are more two sides to this coin. There are the people who think that holding the gay parade in Jerusalem is just rubbing it in the faces of the believers, even though it isn't in any of the "holy" places of Jerusalem. There are those who think that there is a point in having the parade in Jerusalem, but it just isn't worth the consequences.
    And there are those that think that the parade should be held in Jerusalem because and in spite of the threats, because the homosexuals have every right to hold the parade in the capital and if they push over just because some religious people threaten them, they'll never get through the point of the parade in the first place - being able to be who you are without being afraid of what other people think.

Is democracy at stake here?

So what do you think? Should the gay pride parade be held in Jerusalem, or is it just not worth it? Should the parade be moved to some other city?

Note: don't drag this into unrelated issues, please, such as any issues regarding gays in general or regarding Israel in general. Just if the gay pride parade should be held in Jerusalem or not.
    -----------------------------------
    On a side note I am bi so I care for this kind of things. In my opinion it should, those are the people that least accept us and they must learn to live with and accept everyone choices.

2. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

The whole point of Gay Pride parades is to stand in the face of those who want them to just go elsewhere, and are prepared to use violence and intimidation to get them to leave (We're here, we're queer, get used to it). It is about standing up to the threats and violence gay men and women face. It is about not hiding in fear of peersecution.

As such this seems like the very place a Gay Pride parade should take place.

Then the vatican. Then mecca.

3. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

The places where such a parade is least wanted are exactly those where they are most needed. It has my full support.

4. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

As long as they understand that at least a few are likely to be injured or killed, march away.
    I respect those willing to die for what they believe in.

5. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Not as long as God has something to say in the Vatican.

A lot of people will come home in body bags. Maybe they can bring their own, pink ones.

6. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

How did you not give similar statements to both?

7. The Void

The Void Banned

That made me gigle, which shows how much of a evil bastard I am, I deserve punsihment. (i'm not into sadomaso if that's what your thinking)

8. HAMC8112

Because gay people will not be comming back from the Vatican in body bags.

The Vatican God forgives gays.
    The Mecca God does not.*

*: Atleast that is what my Muslim friends tell me.

9. HAMC8112

Yep, that was a funny touch i threw in for good measure. :)

10. Rabbitz

Rabbitz IncGamers Member

Im thinking eternal damnation isnt quite near forgiving :)

11. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

If they take their own pink AK47s the locals might think twice about shooting them.

12. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

I agree.

10charsarestupid

13. HAMC8112

No need for that if you repent your sins. :)

The choice is yours apparantly.

14. myleftfoot

myleftfoot IncGamers Member

As long as they don't practise of course.

15. HAMC8112

That sounds like gay terrorists, the pink brigade!

16. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

With the marching, and uniforms, and being out in the open I think they would be more of an Army rather than a terrorist cell.

17. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

Well, technically, it wouldn't be about defying the Bible, since the Bible is a Christian document, and Jerusalem is barely Christian at all. But it is about defying the holy or sacred, just not of Christians in this particular instance.

To be honest with you, I'm not sure I like the way the question is phrased. "Should" the parade happen? I'm not sure I like using that word. Certainly, homosexuals have the right to protest, as any other group. On the other hand, the religious groups who disagree with homosexuality have the right to protest the gay pride parade. As long as each group goes about it in nonviolent ways (not likely), then the parade would be fine, and it may accomplish some good.

However, in Jerusalem's context, I don't think I would necessarily encourage the parade happening. That city is nowhere near ready to handle this type of situation without violence. I wouldn't argue against their right to march in the parade, but if I had a friend who wanted to march in it, I'd try to talk him out of it.

18. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Religion is a **** stain on the face of the earth. 'Respected' leaders of religion authorizing people to attack others who don't follow their ways? Ridiculous.

19. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

So all religion is a **** stain on the face of the earth because of some corrupt leaders?

That statement is as narrow-minded as the fundamentalists who encourage violent attacks.

20. HAMC8112

We have a winner. :)