Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should Steroid use be Legalized?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Man In Black, Mar 6, 2006. | Replies: 156 | Views: 5807

1. Man In Black

Man In Black Banned

Should Steroid use be Legalized?

So let's hear your opinions on this. Should anabolic/androgenic steriods be legal to use? If so, why? If not, why not?
  2. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

While I tend to have the view that "it's your body, you should be able to poison it with drugs as long as no one else is hurt," I don't think this applies to performance enhancing drugs because if some people use it, there becomes a huge amount of pressure for everyone else to use it or risk being left behind, competitively.
  3. Man In Black

Man In Black Banned

Well first of all, I didn't neccesarily mean just in professional or amateur sports, but also just everyday people that want to improve the way they look.

Secondly, I would have to take issue with the use of the word 'poison.' How would using steriods poison your body? Elaborate please.

Thirdly, it's kind of weird how people that frown upon steriod use call steriods 'drugs' while people who support there use refer to them as 'hormones'. As for me, they are hormones.

As for the peer pressure thing, to be successful in the NFL you have to weight train consistantly, right? If you don't you will be left behind competitively, right? So does that mean that weight training should be outlawed?
  4. Draconis

Draconis IncGamers Member

I wouldn't have a problem with them being legal for general use, but I would be happier if they were still banned by the governing bodies of individual sports.
  5. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Well, they do have negative affects, ya know. You're making sound like the only thing it does is make you stronger.
  6. Man In Black

Man In Black Banned

Well list them. More than likely atleast half of what you think are side-effects of steroids actually aren't.

Examples: No, steroids do NOT make your penis smaller.
    No, steroids do NOT give you brain cancer.
    No, there is no such thing as 'roid rage.
  7. Ranger14

Ranger14 IncGamers Member

Ummm..have you ever seen the muscle tissue of someone who uses steroids? It's brown as opposed to being healthy blue/red muscle tissue. I worked with an orthopedic surgeon who did surgery on Lex Luger of wrestling fame and that is all they found was "damaged" or "poisoned" muscle tissue from steroid usage. It ended Luger's career early and to try to claim that it steroids aren't harmful makes me scratch my head and wonder what sand you have been burying your head in.

From a Vanderbilt University article:

Conclusion:

Main Source: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/anabolic_steroids.html

I can find you an vast array of research on the harm in taking steroids. I am limited on time right now.
  8. innorton38

innorton38 IncGamers Member

I'll respond to your points in order:

1. Even if they are for purely cosmetic uses, I still think that the alluring "benefits" of steroid use coupled with the harmful effects (even if you deny they exist...) make these substances that should be illegal. As I mentioned, I generally don't care if someone wants to use drugs but since Steroids can be spun to be attractive more easily than say Heroin, it should be illegal or at least heavily regulated.

2. "Poison" by definition are substances, particularly chemicals, that are harmful or even fatal. Steroids fit this categorization, in my (and most medical professionals') opinion.

3. Does this really surprise you? I'm actually surprised that you think this is weird...

4. It's not the peer pressure alone that makes me not support steroids, it's the peer pressure coupled with the negative effects. Your analogy makes no sense.
  9. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

It doesnt make a bit of difference if it's legal or not. People who want to use it will do so.
  10. Pitboss_2000

Pitboss_2000 IncGamers Member

How the hell do steroids IMPROVE the way you look? "Hey, wow, I look like a shaved gorilla, ain't I cool?'.
  11. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

I agree 100%.
    Scary is more like it.
  12. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I don't want to pay taxes toward health care for people who screwed up their bodies using steroids.
  13. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I agree with Jonesy, but I want to take that much further than that( I don't want to pay for your fat *** to get heart surgery)

Roid rage is real, it just depends on the drug you're using. Creatine probably won't do it, but testosterone or growth hormone will.

Steroids **** you up in a lot of ways, especially if you are young.
  14. txmielnik

txmielnik IncGamers Member

If you are into increasing your chances of a heart attack, liver cancer and or cardiovascular diseases by all means get hooked on steroids. Sure you will pump up your muscle mass for a short period of time, but you'll also screw up your body.

Maybe your a man who wants to develop breasts this is also a good reason to buy steroids. Making steroids legal would in danger the average person who isn't aware of all the side effects of these drugs. I'm sure girls who are 13 and want to be better basketball player will get their hands on this stuff than wonder why no guys want to date them, not realizing that excessive hair grow on the face is a common side effect.

Legalize it? Sure let's also add cocaine to the list. :thumbsup:
  15. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Well I agree with you there, too. And before anyone makes the argument about medical conditions leading to obesity, those are fine. They are medical conditions. Sitting on your couch and eating Doritos while watching Comedy Central, however, is not a medical condition.
  16. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Everyday people that want to look better? Why not just do good old fashioned hard work by weight lifting?

Too much effort to do that? Too bad
  17. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Add to that people who **** themselves up with smoking or drinking.

Anyway...

A high schools girls athletic coach is desperate for his team to win a tournament. They have never won anything and this is his final year before retirement and he wants to make it a blowout win year. After a tough descision he decides to start putting steroids in the teams water.
    It works wonders, after a few weeks the team is improving rapidly and go on to win their first ever tournament. Encouraged by this he increases the dose, and the performance increases and so he increases the dose more and more. The team improve and improve, winning county and then even state events. They make it through to the national high school finals.
    On the eve of the national final Charlotte - a petite brunette 400m runner comes to his office crying. 'Whats wrong?" the coach asks. "I have dark wirey hair growing on my chest and down my torso" she sobs. "OMG How far down does it go?!?" he asks. "To my balls" she replies, "Which is another matter I wanted to raise with you"
  18. dirkdig

dirkdig IncGamers Member

All of your examples are patently false. Read any of the above medical links.
  19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I think it's for really, really lazy people who don't want to work for their body. Just lump them in with all the other fad-diet losers and everyone else get back to the gym. That's my primary objection. If they also want to suffer all the side effects as well that's their problem.
  20. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Would you rather pay taxes to support prisoners and the additional law enforcement required to catch people using steroids?

On top of that, you can tax steroids heavily.

From an economical standpoint, legalizing steroids (and drugs), it makes a lot of sense.

I'm thinking of writing a very detailed method of how I would go about doing this in a new thread, but I'm extremely busy right now.