Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should incarcerated convicts get the right to vote?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Anakha1, Jun 3, 2004. | Replies: 113 | Views: 2527

?

What's your standing on math and D2 stats?

1. I hate math...but I gotta know Hell Meph's drop chances!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I hate math, and having fun beats knowing drop chances.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I hate math, and I just play and see what drops.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I love math, and the game wouldn't be the same if I didn't know the formulae.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I like math a lot, but really, number crunching is a minor part of the game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I love math, but I just wanna play dammit!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. If Hell Baal doesn't drop a Zod, I blame it on Durf.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I kill everything only once, so all I need to know where the crucial balance between drops and kills

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

Should incarcerated convicts get the right to vote?

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/News/2004/06/03/483694.html

Personally, I don't think they should. As part of their punishment of taking away civil rights (freedom, etc) I think the right to vote should be suspended. I don't think it will make them feel like more a part of society. They weren't too concerned with that when they committed their crime. They should feel exiled and isolated. That's the point of prison. They should be glad to get back into society and motivated to not go back to prison.
  2. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I agree with you 100%.
  3. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

I don't like the idea of taking away anyones right to vote. Seems like a slippery slope to end up on.
  4. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

We take away their right to freedom... that seems like a lot more of a serious denial of rights to me. They would, after all, get the right to vote back once they are released.
  5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

What dantose said.

I think that everyone should have a say in how their country is governed.

I really can´t see what good it would do anyone to further marginalize people who are already on the outside, so to speak. I´ve always been for rehabilitation instead of punishment for punishments sake, and so I´m for education for criminals, the right to vote and anything else that might bring these people back into mainstream society.
  6. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I don't think someone who's abused society in such a way should have a right to have a say in it until they've paid their debt.

Then, I don't think prisons are tough enough on the prisoners as it is.
  7. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Anakha you haven't said I word I disagree with yet.

They weren't trying to fit in when they robbed that store, or killed that 11 year old. They are hoping to tug on the heart-strings of people who don't think children should be put in timeout for drawing on the wall, afterall if you do that you may harm his creativity. . . If you commit a crime against society then you forfeit all rights to that society.
  8. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

I think of voting as more of a privilege than a right. If you do something that lands you in prison, I think you surrender certain priveleges that average citizens are afforded, i.e. freedom of movement, voting, owning firearms, etc...

It might be a different story for people who are released and show themselves to be a contributing, law biding member of society, perhaps there can be a system to regrant that privilege if a former inmate can show it's deserved.
  9. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

I wonder how they would vote on the judges that ruled against them ...
  10. liquidicem

liquidicem IncGamers Member

I couldn't disagree with you more. Everyone should have the right to vote. It should not be something that you need to earn. How are people supposed to make change if you take away there right to vote? Even criminals should have the right to try to change the way things are.
  11. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Yes, but only in Canada. In the U.S. we have so many prisoners (little bit over 2 million), that they might be considered a valuable demographic.
  12. toader

toader Banned

What if a vote came up about what to do with the incarcerated convicts. Would they get to vote on that? Ah, the irony.

We took away their freedom.
    You wanna take away their voting rights.
    We might as well take away their religion also. We should make a new religion for people in prison that they must practice while locked up. [/sarcasm if you couldnt tell]
  13. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

This reminds me of a small town in the Northeast where a prison was located. This was when prisoners did have voting rights. The population of the prison was greater than the population of the town. Needless to say, a prisoner was elected mayor.

This could have been a false story told to me years ago, I will look around.
  14. Johnny

Johnny Banned

Voting is like playing russian roulette with a fully loaded gun.

Whatever the outcome is youre still screwed.

I bellive he has the same right to get screwed as everyone else.

And so save some forum space I will include some of the replies that people where going to make, into this post.

forum member1: lol (insert random incredibly lame comment focusing on the word "screwed"

forum member2: dont we all (again reffering to the word screwed)

forum member3:I think he got screwed plenty by Bubba in prison.

forum member4: forum member4: Not funny kras. Hah you forgot that one.

(this one predicting a reply being made after I finish this thread with forum member3)
  15. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

I think that for something like a federal/provincial election they should be but nothing else
  16. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

So, should we let children vote?

We already make citizens "earn" the right to vote by turning 18 and not being convicted of a felony. So where do you start drawing the line on who gets to vote?
  17. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Oh, I don't know, the U.S. Constituiton? Specifically, the 14th, 15th, 19th, and 26th amendments seem a pretty good place to start.

A felony conviction does not necessarily deny the right to vote. In fact, Maine and Vermont allow incarcerated dudes to vote.
  18. asdf

asdf IncGamers Member

i don't think they should be allowed to vote, while in jail. prison is punishment, not vacation. crime = removal of freedoms. that's the basic premise of it. they no longer have the freedoms of mobility and association. i think the right to participate in an election should be one of them. they don't get minimum wage or pension plans for being in prison. it's punishment. the only things really going for them are the basic rights to life, thought, and against cruel and unusual punishment.

if they happen to commit a crime before a general election and just happen to be in jail while everyone else is casting their votes, sucks to be them. for those who commited small crimes, they get less jail time anyway so they'll be back in the voting arena quickly.
  19. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I'm all for denial of rights to convicts, but you really have to draw a reasonable line. The guy killed somebody, ok, deny his right to freedom for a while. Did he commit vote fraud? What legitimate reason could there be for denying a murderer his right to vote? That's pretty arbitrary sounding to me, and most likely a purely emotional response. It's not like he's gonna get to vote on whether or not to make crime legal or something, he just gets to help pick a representative.

Expecting a guy to come out and start paying taxes fair and square while not being allowed to vote is borderline Boston Tea Party stuff.
  20. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Maybe because "the guy"'s a sociopath and cannot follow the laws of the society he lives in? "The guy" broke a fundamental law of humanity, not just the laws of a nation of state. Therefore, he shouldn't be a part of a decision that is determining the fate of others.