Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Should Diablo 3 have a "Self-Found" Option?!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by clueso, Apr 8, 2013. | Replies: 27 | Views: 5012

?

Should there be a "Self Found Option" in Diablo 3?

1. Yes, that would be cool!

38 vote(s)
    82.6%
  2. No, certainly not

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. I'm not sure

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

I heard that many players quit the game, because it is too easy to get improved gear via the AH. So I was wondering if it would be cool to have something like a "Self Found Option" in the character creation menu that you can activate (like when you get asked if you want to play hardcore) that causes this character to not have access to the AH, gets an own stash & no access to the shared stash & also can only interact with characters that also have chosen the "Self Found Option".What do you think?
  2. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Good idea. Should have resetted artisans as well.
  3. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

I mean, you can technically already do this just by putting the restriction on yourself. I suppose putting a little checkmark box there to delineate that that's what that character is for doesn't hurt anything, but unless checking that box changes the droprates, I don't see why it matters whether Blizzard implements it or you implement it yourself.

Do note though that I voted in favor of this.
  4. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

The first option requires development time, the second doesn't. As you've said, players can already restrict themselves and also able to play with friends this way.

This is problematic in public games, where you can't trust people to play only with self-found people at the moment. Right now I think the easiest solution for Blizzard would be to flag characters as self-found while they don't use the AH (add an icon/text that shows a character's status and a confirmation for the first AH purchase) and then implement a self-found filter for public games. Patch 1.0.8 will have filters for public games anyway, this shouldn't be too hard to do. It still requires some dev time, so the question is whether they deem the number of people who want to play this way high enough to warrant the implemention of such a feature.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  5. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

I work as a developer and i say that the effort here should be minimal. I mean come on, add a checkbox at char creation, similar to that hardcore checkbox? Restrict these players from entering AH? Filter for public games? Then done. All in a day's work, i say.
  6. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

Submit your resume to blizzard and get it done!
  7. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

I voted yes, but I am already playing using only self-found items.

I paly solo exclusively so there is no need to worry about teaming up with someone who uses the AH.
    Finding a Skorn last night had me grinning like an idiot all day long :smug:
  8. Flux

Flux Administrator

so I played on the PTR for a couple of hours, researching the monster density and exp gain changes. And wrote an article about that, and worked on other stuff, and had dinner, and then just a bit ago, with the hour I had left before bed, I figured I'd get on the *real* server and play my new HC Monk a bit. But not really play so much as try to obtain improved equipment, since I'm up to about 20m in HC gold and recently decided to switch my OWE from fire to arcane, and I have a good Inna's hat and Unity ring with Arcane, but need to improve, or at least move vertically, all my other gear, in terms of DPS, stats, and changed res.

And at the log in screen there was some message about the AH being down... I paused, halfway through typing in my password, thought it over for a second, and then hit Esc and did other things. Including this forum post.

[​IMG]

Because without the GAH, there's really no reason to even considering attempting to play HC.
  9. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Sure, would be nice. But a self-found mode requires the game is build around it. As in droprates that are balanced around self-found. Otherwise it would be nearly pointless.
  10. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

Yeah, self found is the bomb, I love that mode of play. But ShadoutMapes is completely correct, the game must be deep enough to allow this to actually be feasible.

I loved starting over in D2, working on my hardcore spearazons, tweaking my resists, doing countess runs, gambling, finding socketable items, etc, etc.

But I digress.
  11. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I play HC sans-AH. I lost my last monk who managed to find 4/5 pieces of the Inna's set, but I'm not discouraged in the least bit largely because I managed to acquire better gear with him than I'd ever had using the AH. The reason I play this way is so I don't have to spend another minute looking for items in the AH. I just want to play the game.
  12. clueso

clueso IncGamers Member

I disagree, because the only thing that needs to chance is that the blacksmith can make better items.
  13. Mrak

Mrak IncGamers Member

Yes (No AH, Artisians should begin from zero and the characters should have a separate stash).

This is one of the things I am missing from D2, the feeling that every character is actually separate from the others (but this is not the only reason, tbh).

The lack of this feature is also the reason why I have not tried other characters (but maybe I will try HC soon), since they will have already access to many things that aren't supposed to be available (gold, gems, items, upgraded Artisians, etc.).

Tbh, I play since the beginning only with self found gear (I am using the AH only for selling things). Maybe that's why I don't find the itemization that awful (but is still way behind compared to the D2 system) since every while I find something "interesting" for my character or my followers (but tbh, is not that hard to find upgrades since I don't have almost any uber gear on me ... hahaha). In this aspect, the new Blacksmith plans are a blessing.
  14. sneakytails

sneakytails IncGamers Member

If we all had your level of patience mrak then the bnet forums would be a very quiet place!
  15. Tigerpaw

Tigerpaw IncGamers Member

Another "Yes" vote for me. The few times I bought items from the AH I ended up regretting it – I play the game for the thrill of finding rare drops and buying from the AH just ruins that aspect of the game. Aside from buying some crafting materials (only because it's too much of a pain to salvage 300-500 rates myself), I've been completely self found the last 8+ months. I do not care to have my characters coated in super-uber gear with 500 million gold to spare. However I do care, and am quite happy/proud, that I've found a decent share of legendaries/set items from drops only and that for me is a big part of why I play the game (I'm very happy with Depth Diggers that dropped for my DH - near perfect stats and two sockets!!). I would definitely embrace any sort of official self-found game mode, if only to set myself apart from the masses that are bound to the AH.
  16. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

The suggestion I made on 7/30/2011 was to introduce a LEGIT flag. All new characters automatically receive this flag, and it can be searched, indexed, and seen upon inspection or possibly designated in their name somehow (or color of their name). The moment they trade on the AH, use something in their stash from another char, or loot something that char didn't earn via kill, the flag is lost forever.

This gives people more flexibility than just creating a character on a self-found realm. Its more social, they can play with friends who chose not to take this option. And if they change their mind and want to go and use the AH someday instead on the LEGIT char, they can.

IT WOULD ALSO TAKE LIKE 15 MINUTES TO WRITE THE CODE FOR THIS. Just introduce a new flag. Done.

Then if they had some sort of ladder on top of this where you can see the top LEGIT players, that would be help as well I think. (I know some are not competitive and dislike this idea, so I'm flexible here)
  17. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Voted I don't know, if you don't want to use the AH, then DONT F****** USE IT.

Blizzard could use the time to focus on real fixes, like, buffing some skills that are total poopie.
  18. ShadoutMapes

ShadoutMapes IncGamers Member

Why does it matter if some skills are terrible? You don't have to use them.
    /bored
  19. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

Voted 'no' on this.

What's not LEGIT about playing the game as designed, and why are those who don't want to trade/buy items so intent on labeling themselves as better than those who participate in the economy?

I'm not a fan of spending real money on game items, but farming, selling and trading up is a skill. If you lack that skill, you will not be competitive in D3 (or D2, for that matter.)
  20. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Nobody said anything about self-found players (which I'm not by the way) better than everyone else. However the fact is that there are players who like to play this way (even D2 had a self-found community, so this isn't a new thing) and right now D3 doesn't make this easy, unless you're playing with friends you can trust. There's nothing wrong about asking Blizzard to facilitate this kind of play. They will decide whether it's worth their time to implement features for these people as I can assure you, it wouldn't take 15 minutes of dev time to do this.