Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Should Current Diablo 3 Items be Upgradeable in RoS?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Hound, Oct 30, 2013. | Replies: 18 | Views: 1289

1. Hound

Hound IncGamers News Service

A fan asks about a system to upgrade the quality of current items and gets his hopes and dreams show down by a rapid blue reply.

<font color="#FFFFFF">I'm still wondering if post-expansion we'll be able to upgrade the level of the current items (i said "upgrade the level", not "reroll stats"). We all know they are going to increase the level cap, so, what about the items level 63? Garbage?</font>
    <strong>Nevalistis: </strong>At this time, we don't have plans for an "item upgrade" system in the manner that you're describing.

As your character gets more powerful (read: levels up from 60-70), higher level gear will become available to you. That aspect of loot acquisition isn't really being changed - higher level characters will, naturally, find higher level loot and want to replace their lower level loot. Current gear shouldn't lose its value. That said, with the changes coming in Loot 2.0, you may find new gear that better compliments your build, and you should find upgrades just as you did when you climbed your way to 60. [source]dd[/source]

I assume Nevalistis means "as your character fights higher level enemies" rather than "levels up for 60-70" since in D3V it's the area and monster level that matters; not your character's (except as that builds your own power and allows you to put on better gear). And that's what I'm actually more curious about, in RoS; will gear from 60-69 be useful? Or will it be D3V again with a huge leap up from 59 to 60 in gear quality?

As for the upgrade system, there's some precedent -- the Diablo 2 Expansion had cube recipes that let players upgrade <a href="http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Cube_Recipes#Item_Upgrades">Rares and Uniques from Normal to Exceptional, or Exceptional to Elite quality</a>. But that game had a very different item system, with all base item types repeated 3 times in rough overlap with the 3 difficulty levels, so upgrading from one to the next was logical.

That wouldn't really make sense in Diablo 3 with its steady progression of item types through all difficulty levels, and it would be cheesy to go right from the start in RoS (it was added to D2X in a patch years later). After all, the whole point of adding higher level content in the D3 expansion (and removing the Auction House) is to let players fight tougher monsters to earn better gear; not to just buy it in the AH or craft it in town. And that's not even mentioning all of the <a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/datamined-diablo-3-difficulty-changes-in-reaper-of-souls">general difficulty changes</a>, shuffling of values for affixes, adding new affixes, <a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/datamined-reaper-of-souls-info-affix-hardcaps">implementing hardcaps</a> to some properties, <a href="http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/life-steal-going-going-gone-reaper-souls">removing leech at lvl 70</a>, etc.

High end gear in RoS is going to be *better* than what we see now in D3V, but it's also going to be *different* in the stats and values of those stats, and it seems like the devs need to balance that around characters who are all equipped in new RoS gear; not upgraded versions of D3V gear. Whether or not you guys like that change remains to be seen, so how about a vote:

<p><code><br/></code></p>
    <p style="text-align: center;">[poll id="109"]</p>
    <p><code><br/></code></p>

<!--more-->

If you're reading this in the forum thread, visit the main page news post to add your vote in this poll.
  2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

You say \'guys\' as if no women play D3, don\'t make me call the UN on you flux.... ;)
  3. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

You are romanticizing D2 waaay too hard.
  4. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

Items went up to 87.
  5. Disciple of Erebos

Disciple of Erebos IncGamers Member

I imagine that gear of the current level will still be fine for current level play, but will be obsolete for lvl 70 play. The difference between monster lvl 50 and 60 now is huge, and I imagine that it will not be too different between lvl 60 and 70. That having been said, it now may depend more on what the weapon does than on the level of power; a lot of things are changing, and most of the large methods of stacking DPS (AS, CC and CD) are all getting capped. On top of that, all of the legendaries are getting new and, potentially, powerful abilities. I could believe a scenario in which a Monk with the legendary that makes Dashing Strike free would keep it even if it was lower level and lower power than an item found later, simply because it worked better for the build. At the same time, I greatly doubt any of the legendaries we have now will hold to that ideal, simply because none of what we have now offers that level of build customization; you can\'t really build off of legendaries now the way we might be able to in RoS, so as far as I can see, there should be no reason not to upgrade our current gear for higher level RoS play.
  6. dynot

dynot IncGamers Member

These go to eleven.
  7. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

I thought a group of girls was called a pod, or a herd.
  8. trocadero

trocadero IncGamers Member

Definitely the jump between 59-60 is way too vast, especially for weapons, but if you can faceroll normal mode and get key pieces for your build, that doesn\'t sound very fun, either. Personally, I\'d add more iLevels at the end, and make iLevel 74+ only drop in higher Monster Power. Gives better granularity, and means you don\'t need such a steep curve from 59-63.
  9. TheDestructor

TheDestructor IncGamers Member

I agree with Common Sense.
  10. Carlyle

Carlyle IncGamers Member

I think the itemization issue you describe is what Blizzard are working on and failing at for about two years now. As mentioned many times before though, this is a core issue that would require rebuilding the whole item (and affix and rarity and drop chance and crafting and ...) system instead of adding more and more makeshifts on top of its current, quintessentially faulty incarnation.

With the auction house gone (and nothing even worse announced to take its place – so far), there is at least an opportunity for the developers to massively cut back on the numeric randomization (copious value ranges, hypersegmented affixes, ...) with their next item overhaul. Imagine legendary quality item drops to actually inspire a feeling of sensation once again instead of preprogrammed disappointment over a .0001% chance for that piece of loot to turn out decent.

Beyond that, of course, there is still lots of room for improvement as you suggest, such as making common quality items the original state for crafting, balancing affix quantity vs. quality on magic/rare items etc. This however, would again require the developers to spend even a lot more effort on the itemization system, which their budget may or may not cover (considering it doesn\'t translate into AH micro-transaction fees any more).
  11. djmilhaus

djmilhaus IncGamers Member

Just as an item of clarification, you can find level 60+ gear in late hell. I believe it caps at ilvl 62 in act IV and ilvl 61 in act III. Too lazy to do the research, but thought you might want to correct the article.
  12. djmilhaus

djmilhaus IncGamers Member

Just curious if you played D2 during it\'s pre-expansion days? You could convert your character to expansion once it was released and could upgrade your items via cube recipes, but the stat caps in D2C were so low it was hardly worthwhile to do so. Just wondering if you gave that some thought in your reply.
  13. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

It\'s intended to avoid confusion over C=console.
  14. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

No doubt, but lets be honest. There was a handful of builds and most wore the same uniform even across the different classes. Gaze/Shako, Enigma, eBotD, ss, etc, etc. If anything, synergy gave way to some unique/focused type builds but even still. I would agree with you more if you said D3 had too much variety in weapons or even builds. I had waaay better stuff self found in D2 then D3. But to your point that having some \"lower level\" uniques being viable at endgame I do agree. I never disagreed with your overall point. Sorry if that was missed.
  15. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

What on earth is D3V lol.
  16. Lorderan

Lorderan IncGamers Member

What do the two mean? I have no idea.
  17. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

Diablo 3 Vanilla. -- no expansion.
  18. Charons

Charons IncGamers Member

please no. You can not make any one part of the game be the only place to find good items. It makes it to where everyone feels like they HAVE to play there.
  19. blackoutchili

blackoutchili IncGamers Member

Romanticizing D2 too hard? If anything, we are not \"romanticizing\", as you put it, Diablo 2 enough. Diablo 3 showed us how much screwed up a game can be and thus highlights Diablo 2 even more.