Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Shield block interrupting fury?

Discussion in 'Druid' started by zaphodbrx, Nov 11, 2011. | Replies: 33 | Views: 9617

1. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Shield block interrupting fury?

Hi, I just want to know if shield block is interrupting my fury hits, from the animation I think it is but not sure. Zeal is un-interruptible, is it the same case for fury?
  2. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Re: Shield block interrupting fury?

Nope, not like Zeal. You also miss the rest of the hits in a Fury cycle when you get interrupted, so if you just play PvM then going for a two-hander is generally better. If you let your Grizzly and merc take hits for you then a 1-hander is just fine though.
  3. zaphodbrx

Ah, that really sucks. I guess I'll have to ditch the shield which I don't want to because it's part of the item set Orphan's call. But whatever.

Does bear have this problem too?
  4. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Bears don't have sequence attacks so they don't have that problem, but they are terrible (slow) blockers. Blockoak Luna is a good option for both wereforms if your best weap is a one-hander:
    The bonuses on Orphan's isn't that great anyway :whistling:
  5. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Yes .

Slow block makes Bears with shields sad pandas :(

Edit- Dammit, Hubb :p
  6. zaphodbrx

Yes, I just found that out.
    I have a level 14 bear atm, he's carrying around Isenheart's armory and the shield has pretty high block rate so I have to unequip it in some places because it is hindering him. Though the problem is falling off because I'm not upping my dex at all.

Also another question for bear. My core skills will be lycanthropy, werebear and maul. What should I pick my 4th skill, shockwave, HoW, oak sage or fireclaws?

7. Verashiden

SW. Get enough points for 10 second stun total (including +skills). Best PvM skill for Druids hands down.
  8. zaphodbrx

Ok thanks.
    I just found the perfect weapon for my druid. Its a unique maul called bonesnap, huge huge dmg ( 281 ED ), +200% vs undead , 40% CB and other goodies.
    Now to fix my resists. They are ugh, ugh, ugh :)
  9. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

bonesnap is damn slow...
  10. Orion

Orion IncGamers Member

Bonesnap is slow but it is not too bad for a pick up in Normal for a 2 hander. This shield may be a good fix for bad resists for a 1 hander:

Ancient's Pledge
    3 Socket Shields

Ral + Ort + Tal
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    Cold Resist +43%
    Fire Resist +48%
    Lightning Resist +48%
    Poison Resist +48%
    10% Damage Goes To Mana

or this one when you get to level 31

Moser's Blessed Circle
    Round Shield

Defense: 156-179 (varies)(Base Defense: 47-55)
    Required Level: 31
    Required Strength: 53
    Chance to Block: Pal: 67%, Ama/Asn/Bar: 62%, Dru/Nec/Sor: 57%
    Durability: 64
    Paladin Smite Damage: 7 To 14
    +180-220% Enhanced Defense (varies)
    +25% Increased Chance of Blocking
    30% Faster Block Rate
    All Resistances +25
    Socketed (2)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

This is a great weapon to have by level 21 or so:

The General's Tan Do Li Ga ---Flail
    One-Hand Damage: 2 To (56-58) (29-30 Avg)
    Required Level: 21
    Required Strength: 41
    Required Dexterity: 35
    Durability: 30
    Base Weapon Speed: [-10]
    +50-60% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    +50% Damage To Undead
    Adds 1-20 Damage
    20% Increased Attack Speed
    5% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    Slows Target By 50%
    +25 Defense
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.09 or later)

With good armor - you can wield a fast 2 -hander. Shockwave, Griz and a Merc will give you blockers and Verash is right on about the power of Shockwave in PVM - 1 to 3 pts is all it takes to get a 10 sec stun. Which is easy with gear and + skill equipment.

Any shapeshifter loves a Black Oak Luna for the FBR + Dex if your best wep is a 1 hander (Grief Phase Blade)- Thx for pointin that out Hubb :) If your endgame gear is gonna be Grief PB, Fortitude Armor and Black Oak - you will have a Killa! Ber helm in that case.
  11. zaphodbrx

Bonesnap is not slow. Socketed with shael and with 20 IAS gloves, I have 7fpa fury.
  12. Damric

Damric IncGamers Member

Shields are toys for paladins. Lycans play best when they fetch a big stick.
  13. Orion

Orion IncGamers Member

PVM is always good with 2Hander because of the merc and giz keep baddies occupied while the shifter goes in for the kill. Should you Up the Bonesnap(shael'd) and use Ik gloves, belt and boots - could be good - better with highlord! Good endgame gear could include IK set minus the helm oc. As I stated before - easily traded Pgems for all :)
    Best upgrade will be the Jalal at lvl 42 - Res, Skills, FHR, AR bonus make it great.
    Should the best weapon you pick up or trade for be a 1Hander - use a shield with 40 or 50 FBR - and shael it if you need to -the faster the better. You can easily wack everything in the game with either 1H or 2H good weapons. 1H is just more Defense, which you probably don't need if you have a good 2H wep.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  14. zaphodbrx

Thanks for the comments everyone. My druid is now in Hell Act 2 and is in major problems. I am playing self found only ( for now ), and single player, so I will not be getting items from trading.

- PIs. Ah, the biggie. I can kill nightmare doomknights, pitlords and frenzytaurs in one hit, and take down NM Baal in like 10 sec. Same for most monsters in act 1 Hell... except those bloody PIs. I tried some solutions but nothing is working.
    I have a club called 'Demon Limb' which has charges of level 23 enchant. So in theory I could do tons of fire damage, but in practice I find the damage very weak and the repair cost is crippling. Also, I can't use enchant in shapeshifted form, same applies to decrepify that I could get from spellsteal axe.
    Alternatively I could just hit them with the Demon Limb as it has about 300 fire damage. But it takes very, very long, and I cannot handle more than 1 or two at a time, besides for PI/FI I have to rely on Act 3 Cold merc, and he does weak damage while I sit around like a moron. This situation is quite common zzz..

Another solution could be Lawbringer runeword, but I'm still lacking the Lem rune.

- Manaburn. I'm getting used to this but man this must be the most annoying thing ever. Anything with 'drains mana' or mana burn, even their minions, blow out my mana in one hit. Fury is unlike most skills that it doesn't revert to a normal attack when no mana, my werewolf just stands there and says 'I need mana' or something moronic
    When you combine manaburn and PI, you get a lethal package called a wraith/ghost. These buggers are absolutely impossible and I gave up the countess tower quest and did everything else.

- Attack rating is low.. about 3.7k or so. The +AR skills are doing their thing, but my base AR is 500is. I found an iron grand charm of +72 AR and will socket my helm with a pdiamond, hopefully it will make things better.

- Red potions barely dent my hp bar when I'm nudging 3k hp. I use full rejuvs mostly now, I find them faster than I use them up so its not a huge problem.

My resists are at 62/55/72/-21 . Poison tends to hurt me a lot. Any ideas how to fix it?

Gear is as follows
    Guilliame's face helm
    Bonesnap War club, shael ( I could upgrade it again, but I don't have the runes, and am working towards the 223 str req, now at 218 )
    Immortal King's war belt
    Duriel's shell
    Lying of hands- I don't understand this item, it says +350% dmg to demons, but the gloves give no damage? Anyway it has 50 fire resist and 20 ias so good
    Rare boots with +40 lightning +29 cold resist
    Rare rings with resists.
    Rare amulet with +2 shapeshifting skills.
  15. Orion

Orion IncGamers Member

Act 2 Holy Freeze Defensive Merc would be a big plus.Keeping you from getting mobbed if your going at 1-2 monsters.

Backing up and doing some NM Baal, Mephy, and Council runs might get you some better gear and would be worth your while.

Getting the rest of the IK set is a plus. With Guilly helm you can just get a fast wep with some damage and be happy with the CB you have with that.

SP - don't waste your socket quests until you get endgame gear.
  16. khuzgan

khuzgan IncGamers Member

If poison gets you, you can shop antidote potions for key fights until you have better gear. They stack time-wise so drinking 2 at once doubles the duration of the effect.

Killing PIs is a bit slow until you have a good second type of dmg. If you have the patience for it I suggest you get some source of open wounds (to slowly bleed them to death and to prevent healing while other elemental dmg types you have hurt them). Once you find a heavy elemental dmg weapon with reasonable attackspeed you can have it on switch to kill them faster.

The key to killing manaburners when untwinked and low-end geared is to separate packs and deal with them 1 by 1. If you have a grizzly it can help you to split them up, but it's doable by just running and using obstacles along the way as well.
  17. vknez

vknez IncGamers Member

whistans>> black oak luna...
    stormshield >> black oak luna
    sanctuary >> black oak luna

etc
  18. Orion

Orion IncGamers Member

Black Oak Luna Shael'd = 50 FBR and less blocking,more hitting, and less interuption of Fury Cycle of hits (just addin' to what Hubb said) and More Dex/Life so more points 4 life/HP's. And you have a socket 4 - Ber or Um........ 5 Frame FBR already on the shield. See FBR chart below.

The key to Black Oak is that you get 40 Dex from the shield which can add up to 80 when you use 2x Ravens. That's 80 + HP in SP. That's if your using a PB or high dex wep:> But this is kinda mute because your better off putting 2 diamonds and 1 or 2 Perfect Emeralds in a 3-4 soc shield and doing Hell Andy Runs and NM Baal Runs until you get an IK set minus the helm.

20 Lyc, 20 WW, 2 Feral, 20 Fury, 2 Heart of the Wolverine, and 20 Griz is a very good way to go :) with low + skill equip. You may only have 2-3 + skills where in MP people have up to 15. Keep it simple. Get a Act 2 Defense/Holy Freeze Merc and your good.

Wind -- Good in a Phase Blade for SP PVM with Guilly Helm (kinda) just looks cool
    2 Socket Melee Weapons
    Sur + El
    10% Chance To Cast Level 9 Tornado On Striking
    +20% Faster Run/Walk
    +40% Increased Attack Speed
    +15% Faster Hit Recovery
    +120-160% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -50% Target Defense
    +50 To Attack Rating
    Hit Blinds Target
    +1 To Light Radius
    Level 13 Twister (127 Charges)

FBR frames
    0% 9
    7% 8
    15% 7 Sanctuary
    27% 6 Stormshield and Whistan's Guard
    48% 5<- Your target and already have with Black Oak Luna
    86% 4
    200% 3

So Black Oak Luna >>>> Sanctuary, Stormshield, and Whistan's

Edit: The Wind Runeword just looks cool and I never used it LOL :> so don't use it
    SP PVM is pretty much what you find so all this is just opinions and some helping suggestions. **IK set will help the most and you will have very little if any problems with Phys Immunes. **Hope you find some good equipment Zaphodbrx and good luck 2 u.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  19. Verashiden

Farm NM Meph for Angelic ammy and one ring. For PIs your best bet for self found is to SW and sidestep them. Weapon wise Ginther's Rift isn't too rare and it has a lot of magic damage on it.

Orion: That's a TALL TALL claim saying Black Oak > Whistans. Whistans has half the str requirements, obscene CtB (saving points in dex and thus more life) and only at the cost of one frame block assuming you don't shael it. It's much more common and comes online at lvl 29. So I'll respectfully disagree :)
  20. zaphodbrx

Never mind, I solved my problems by finding a Lem rune, so I'm now carrying a Lawbringer Legend sword. It is awesome! Decrepify, huge elemental dmg, pulsating aura knocking those undeads around, slain monsters rest in peace mod. Just what is needed for the druid.

I know about the angelic amulet/ring combo however that would tie up my slots and compromise my resistances. Anyway I have 5k AR now and am satisfied with it.

IK maul sounds like an interesting option. But I haven't found one yet ( only have the IK belt and gloves ). Anyway the bonesnap is doing its job, when I find the runes I'll upgrade it to elite. I have the strength to wear ogre mauls now ( 225 str req )