Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Severly disappointing items

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Doppel, May 14, 2012. | Replies: 52 | Views: 11419

1. Doppel

Doppel Banned

This thread is for people that are severely disappointed in the Legendary and Set items shown on the Diablo 3 website.
    I can't comprehend why some people are fine with boring and generic special items. The Legendary and Set items that have something unique to them can be counted on one hand, and even those items disappoint in my opinion. I don't see how 20 Life per Fury spent will have a gamechanging effect, infact i don't see how it will even have a noticable effect when 20K health will not be uncommon at that level.
    It's not just the complete lack of interesting unique properties, virtually all affixes found on Legendaries can be beaten by a Rare item, meaning that all Legendary items eventually completely lose their usefulness. This is terrible design to have Legendaries only exist as placeholders until you find a Rare that beats it on every level.
    I want to wield a Legendary Mighty Weapon known to have an ungodly amount of Strength to make up for it's poor weapon damage.
    I want to wield a Legendary cursed Dagger that drains your life but makes up for it by having a higher then any Rare amount of life leech.
    I want Legendary and Set items with unique and interesting properties god dammit, properties that might even define entire builds like Iceblink, Buriza, Stormlash, Stormshield, Windhammer, Kuko Shakaku, Witchwild String, Hand of Justice, Rift, Trang-Oul and countless more.
    I want to have items with extra unique benefits to certain skills, increasing the amount of magic missiles for example, or the radius of Frost Nova.
    I think the failure to include interesting special items in a game that revolves around items is inexcusable.
  2. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

first please factor your OP better, its on the verge of causing eye-cancer.

Then did you notice the reducing cooldown of certain skills items yet? These will be quite the game changer in synergy with other cooldown reducing passives and effects.

Other then that, they specifically said they wanted to go back to the roots of DII classic where rare items were the ones being able to have the most awesome stats. Plus there is also the expansion coming up so in the usual tradition there has to be some room at the top.
  3. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

I can assure you that you'll probably never get most of these items anyway.
  4. LifePincher

LifePincher IncGamers Member

Magic items will rule again I believe.
    Screw rares, they did nothing for me in D2. Neither did the crappy sets.

Do you believe in Magic? :smug:
  5. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Ah yeah the expansion, we've been waiting eleven years for a new Diablo game and now that it's here we have to wait for the expansion in order to have Legendary items that possibly don't suck balls for some reason Blizzard never mentioned but we all have to believe in because you said so.
    @ RazeBarb: I can assure you i don't give a **** because of how mindnumbingly boring they are.
    @ LifePincher: I believe every item type should have it's own uses, Magic item should excel in the limited amount of affixes they can have making them sought after for that reason.
  6. sekira

sekira IncGamers Member

d2 != d3

This game sucks. I'm just glad Torchlight 2 is coming out soon.... 1/3 the price and 10x better than this POS.
  7. Kblavkalash

Kblavkalash IncGamers Member

I think it's fine. We still probably got 2 expansions so a lot of time for improving itemization.
  8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Legendary items that define builds and are even situationally better than a theoretical perfect rare are exactly what Blizzard wanted to avoid with D3. Rares are the be-all end-all of Diablo 3. It isn't as interesting as legendaries with stats unique enough that something you get in Normal is still the best for its slot in Inferno, but I think this is better for the game overall. Beyond that, the way various stats interact with each other and skills looks like it will offer a lot of interesting variety for the time being. Game-changing stuff can wait until the first expansion.
  9. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

The names are more disappointing than anything. I can't believe there's stuff like Captain Crimson's Codpiece or Hammer Jammer pants in the game... So far I haven't seen a single cool name on the Legs. "Unending War"? "Boj Anglers"? "Cluckeye"? Wtf... They even left Murlocket in the game! I don't want lame puns as the names of my precious items. Still, I'm sure I'll get over this and play the game to death, I've waited too long to bail out over cosmetics. But after 10 years every single item should drop your eyes out, in terms of effects, name and looks (those are pretty good on most items at least).
  10. tyren

tyren Diablo: IncGamers Member

Maybe it's just some elaborate joke?
  11. zUkUu

zUkUu IncGamers Member

tho, a few UNIQUE affixes for legendary / set items would have been dope.
  12. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

I think the Legendary items are fine the way they are. In Diablo 2, it was easy for a lot of characters to be similar gearwise. For instance, any sorceress not wearing full Tals was using Harlequin Crest. Every single Harlequin Crest was the same. Diablo 3 adds some variety to it at least with the additional magical affixes. Better yet, the best items might actually be rares this time around, which would really make every character's gear choices unique. I would like some more unique affixes for Legendary items, but I think they've made a solid base to build off of. I would expect expansions to fulfill this similar to how LoD did for D2.

I think to expect that to expect vanilla D3 to have all same versatility in its' items out of the box as D2 LoD is absurd. I saw the same reaction when Civ V was released. A lot of features that were added through expansions in Civ IV were not included and a lot of fans were upset by this. In a way, I understand, but this would make development time exponentially longer. It's ridiculous to think that any content that was present in a previous game in a series should be present in a later installment at release. You need to remember that every new installment is starting from scratch; systems need to be redesigned and everything needs to be tweaked again. How would you feel if Blizzard said "We need to delay release for 2 weeks because we have an item that let's you use Frenzy with any class, but it doesn't work right for the Wizard. Sorry!"
  13. JaymzLX

JaymzLX IncGamers Member

I guess the OP didn't get the memo that the rare items are the best in the game...
  14. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

A lot of the interesting items in D2 broke the game. Of course, this doesn't excuse Blizz for being uncreative, but I think I'd rather have boring items than ones that trivialize everything.
  15. Azzure

Azzure IncGamers Member

I was one of the more vocal critics regarding Diablo 3's items. But I was actually happy with the Legendary item stats in general. I like the principles of randomness mixed in with the "One of these effects" things. The flavor was there too.

Not awesomely perfect, but pretty good.
  16. Darkmere

Darkmere IncGamers Member

Yes, this game forces us to all be the same, now let's complain that we're not forced to all go after the same gear, too. My world = shattered.
  17. Dudzy

Dudzy IncGamers Site Pal

Im fine with it as it is, there a decent amout of cool items with room for them to go crazy in the expansion(s).
  18. Doppel

Doppel Banned

@ JaymzLX: I don't see how this is relevant to what i've said in the OP.
    The thread isn't called "i'm disappointed in Legendary items because rares will be the best". I never even mentioned balance of power at all. The reason why is because balance isn't what i'm disappointed about. I don't mind that rare items will be best, infact i support rare items being best.
    What i'm complaining about is that Legendary items are pretty much placeholder rare items now. There's hardly anything that sets them apart from your run of the mill rare item. Legendary items have a unique name and that's pretty much it.
    Many unique items in D2 also weren't "best". Iceblink wasn't "best". But Iceblink has ten times the identity of any Legendary item i've seen here and Iceblink enabled one or two cool builds.
    Was Rift "best"? No, but you could create interesting builds around it's ctc FO. Was Harmony best? No, but it's Vigor Aura was a huge boon to a frail Amazon.
    Where are all the interesting items in D3?

@ Smips: Civ5 was a huge fail, i don't even know wtf you're talking about really. On the one hand you're saying it's a deliberate design choice that they will expand upon in the expansion (and there's zero proof of this), on the other hand you're saying they lacked the development time to make interesting items (could be, but that's pretty pathetic for a company the size of Blizzard, certainly after all the delays the game already went through). And it's a big leap from the generic Legendaries we're seeing now to items that would actually dynamically change an entire class by giving it for example Frenzy. I wasn't expecting the latter, but i sure was hoping something more imaginative and creative then the first.

And wow, some arguments of defendants are just, disturbing. As if some more creative items would force everyone to gear up the same? More diversity would thus equal less diversity? Ok bro.
  19. Smips

Smips IncGamers Member

Your OP stated that, in the long run, rares will overshadow Legendaries and that is a problem. What you seem to be asking for is that Legendaries have unique properties and they are the best/close to the best items available. Argue all you want, but saying "legendaries will lose their usefulness" will do nothing but make me think that you want them to be the best items available.

You broke what I said into two categories and I did not. It is a design choice to lay ground work to expand upon because if they included all the basic functionality that was in D2:LoD, it would take too long. They want to core game to be perfect and not waste time perfecting the nuances of special cases for the core release.

Edit: I'll just throw out there that I didn't play Civ IV until after all the expansions were out and found it a bit overwhelming. I thought Civ V was actually pretty fun. I guess you can just call me a simpleton.

20. JaymzLX

JaymzLX IncGamers Member

I misread or misinterpreted your OP, apologies.