Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Serious expansion class speculation

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by cozmiccc, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 87 | Views: 6396

1. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Serious expansion class speculation

Sorry for the title, I just don't want this to degenerate into a silly brainstorming with ridiculous suggestion and joke class :)

Ok, so let's start, we can safely assume that there will be new class(es) introduced either in expansion pack (might be more than one) or if Blizzard want to experiment in a paid DLC, personally I like the latter as then we don't have to wait for everything in expansion pack.

So which class niche can be filled? Late January Blizz revealed their big 'system change' in which they overhaul the attribute system (again), and now we have 2 class each relying on dexterity and intelligence for their damage, leaving barbarian with a monopoly over Strength. So it's very likely that the new class will use strength as his primary attribute.

Generalising a bit, currently we have 2 clear-cut melee classes and 3 ranged classes, so it's likely that the next class will either be melee or hybrid (ala amazon or druid)

Moving on we also knew that another gaping hole we're missing is someone that's proficient in shield and I just don't see barbarian as a sword and board guy and he doesn't have shield slam :p
    Also another element we're missing is holy damage, after all Diablo 1 and 2 all have that and we can call that another essential element in the Diablo universe.

From above it seems that Paladin will fit the bill really well, but we already have a templar and it seem that Blizzard prefer exploring new classes than returning with previous ones, so I think we can cross him out too...

So finally here is my guess, a strenght primary, melee hybrid, shield user, holy damage, and new class: a Fallen Angel class!
    that will fit above criterias, satisy Blizzard desire for something fresh and will be really appealing as a paid DLC, there might even be a reason to hold fallen angel class until after release as we know something will happen concerning heaven and tyrael and this class by then could have the lore to back his story up.

What do you guys think? :D
  2. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

Re: Serious expansion class speculation

Druid fits your criteria.

Melee class that would work off of strength.
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Druid, most likely - the 'nature-power' archetype has yet to be filled.

Close-second would be some sort of knight-type class who has multiple skills which are reliant on the shield as an item. (Would LOVE to see the Paladin back with more ways to use the shield

My two guesses, but if only one class is in the expansion, then yeah - Druid or something similar :p.
  4. cozmiccc

I thought about him too, he's certainly hybrid, but ever seen a holy druid with a shield?? :p

5. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

I think the classes should be nephalem in origin or else how would they benefit from nephalem valour? But seriously, I don't want to play an angel, demon, fallen, or any combination of the above. We already have a class with glowing eyes and "demon" in its name.

I like the idea of revitalizing the druid or necromancer class, but since Blizzard wants new classes, I'm guessing they won't do that. But, I do think the new class will either involve summons or shapeshifting. The monk already has the holy theme covered (although I wouldn't mind another religious class, with a different religion; i guess that's what the druid and paladin both were). The barb has the shield theme kind of, but who really cares about a shield bash anyway? I wish the barb had one, but he bashes much better with an axe anyway.
  6. jangoolie

jangoolie IncGamers Member

No we're not, Monk is primarily holy damage.

7. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

Considering that the new classes will only join in act 5, at least lore wise (much like the assassin and druid)
    then maybe we'll see something like a Peace Warder from the Triune should it return in D3.

Would be much like the paladin, it would be from a corrupted order but not aware of the corruption within it.
  8. WDC

WDC IncGamers Member

I'm hoping for very shape shifting focused class. I'd be highly disappointed (and surprised) if we didn't get one.
  9. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Or opposed to the corruption, but believing in the ideals which the order once stood for, like the Paladin.

10. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

You know, this got me thinking...wouldn't it be cool if the player became temporarily corrupted and/or hallucinated and went hostile on allied NPCs before being cured or coming out of it naturally, only to realize you've just killed Deckard Cain?
  11. Miveal

Miveal IncGamers Member

Combination of assasin and druid (not joking). Something like shapeshifting with stealth abilites on top of that.
  12. cozmiccc

For the first time maybe, but then we'll playthrough at least 4x for each class then multiply it by 5 for all class...... So nope it'll be frustrating on your 15th playthrough IMO

13. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

What if it occurred in one of the inter-act cinematics so you could skip it if you wished to?

And don't tell me you've never wanted vengeance on Deckard Cain, the guy who always charges you for identifying items, even after the rogues rescue him, and you saved the rogues, so in a way, you saved Cain.

14. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I hope they have 2 classes in the expansion, just like D2's.

Unlike SC2, Diablo 3 will probably only have one expansion (I think this just because it's the been the norm for non-WoW games, and unlike SC2, they haven't announced any trilogy plans), so +2 classes seems like a satisfying number to sink our teeth into :).
  15. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

I kinda started a thread like this a while back, but apparently it´s been deleted.

Anyway I have always favoured melee classes and like many people I loved the paladin and necromancer in d2, so what I would like to see, is a dark paladin/knight class. Like the assassins turned into demon hunters, the paladins could turn to necromancy? So after the paladin´s order was destroyed the paladins become followers of Rathma and combine their knowlegde of melee combat with necromancy. I think it´s an interesting concept, which would really appeal to many people who are fans of both of these classes.

The other class could be hybrid class like the druid, which was in a really bad shape in d2, but with the new rune skill system, the druids could become really interesting: imagine werewolf and werebear having 5 different rune skills each :)

What I don´t want to see in the game, is a freaking fallen angel or demon, because it´s about human beings!
  16. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

While cool, the strength of Diablo's classes has always been resonance.

When people see a Paladin, they are excited because they recognise the holy warrior vibe, and know what to expect. The same is true for the Necromancer, Barbarian, Monk, Witch Doctor, etc.

A 'dark paladin', on the other hand, is so much less resonant. Resonance is what makes classes exciting - when I saw the Witch Doctor for the first time, I already have a resevoir of depictions of voodoo and whatnot in my head. I don't even have to be into fantasy, per se, to 'get' the character's vibe.

Imagine if the Necromancer didn't have summons and had only Poison/Bone spells (also imagine he has a third skill tree's worth of additional poison/bone spells to compensate). Calling him a 'Bone Priest' or something is so much less resonant even though he could be a totally cool and powerful hero. Most people aren't going to be as excited over something they don't quite have an idea for. (and I emphasise the choice of the word 'most', because the best way to design a game after all, is to make the most amount of people happy)

Is there a particular way in which a 'Dark Paladin' could be concepted in a way that a lot of people immediately grok what the class is all about?

Again though, I think that a Druid or other nature-themed class is going to be the next class :p. A nature-themed hero is just so conspicuously missing - it's one of the last really resonant fantasy archetypes that players can hook onto.

17. cozmiccc

Death Knight? lol better not though or we'll have to suffer another round of hate from the anti-WoW brigade :D

Well... on 2nd thought druid wielding shielding is not that far-fetched, although my feeling is still on a nephalem-angel hybrid after all it's still a humanoid being, and wasn't Blizzard originally wanted Demon Hunter to be half-demon too?

What can be another possible strength class? if Druid comes through it'll probably be an 'Intelligent' primary, then that will seriously screw the item loot demand, 3 class for intelligent and still only 1 class for strength :S

Edit: another thought, I suppose Druid can be strength based too, a beastmaster kind that relies on shapeshifting for melee and backed up with pets, will need to reduce spellcasting ability though

18. Sulle

Sulle IncGamers Member

@ Zoot I was very excited about the paladin, when I first played him and he became my favorite class, so I would really look forward to seeing the paladin in the game, but you also have to remember, that diablo is about roles.

The roles which the paladin and necromancer had before, have unfortunately been replaced by the monk and WD and thus if the they brought the same classes back they would be in conflict with the others. Also if you did check the WD and wizard items you would see several necromancer items among them.

The necromancer as he is now in a possible expansion would thus not even be able to use his own items, so clearly blizzard has no intention of bringing him back as he was before. That´s why I came with the idea of combining the two classes, because when we talk about roles, then we are clearly missing the defensive shield warrior archtype, whatever he may be, but by combining necromancy it would also give him an edge and gothic feel(which btw d3 really lacks), and that also wouldn´t be in conflict with the monk.

By the way, I also can´t imagine the necromancer without bone poison spells but apparently they are still in the game like the paladins. That has been confirmed, but their story has yet to be revealed. Also Jondar still uses poison and skeletons, even though he is a wimp lol.
  19. NeoLearner

NeoLearner IncGamers Member

During the Demon Hunter development bit during (I think) Blizzcon, they were talking about wanting to do a half demon with some shape-shifting stuff.
    That, together with the fact that melee and strength is still open, leads me to believe we'll have some sort of shape shifting melee build like a druid.

As for the shields, that's indeed still open. Is there any fantasy-trope that's big on shields besides a paladin? Some sort of "knight" seems feasible, either dark or holy.

Maybe a hybrid between the 2? The ghost of a knight for example? Would be using a shield and could do some creative shape-shifting stuff.
  20. cozmiccc

Yep Blizz did talk about that, probably they were already going on that direction then realised that the bigger ranged bow archetype is still missing hence they replaced it with DH. If that was the case then the shapeshifting half-demon is still on the table and they might also follow through with it.
    I guess shapeshifting trait fit more at home with a demon than an angel eh? :p