Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Self-Found: Three Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by twincitiesknick, Oct 23, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 1166

1. twincitiesknick

twincitiesknick IncGamers Member

Hi y'all!

I played D3 a bit at release. I think I beat normal and it was pretty fun, but I'm looking to get back into it. The AH has zero appeal to me, and I want to be purely self-found and self-crafted. Here are my three questions:

1) If I want to make significant progress (to inferno I guess, and beyond if it ends up being viable), what are the easier classes to try through this method?

2) I heard about MP levels, which makes me delighted as I loved /players settings in single player of D2. What MP levels would you generally recommend for Normal/Nightmare/Hell to give myself the most challenge on whatever class you suggest without being so tough that I'll just faceplant constantly?

3) I really enjoyed "Single Pass" characters in D2 single player, where you basically clear each part of each map once and don't re-run any areas. In its current incarnation, is that viable in D3 self-found (at least until inferno), or not so much? (Assume you get normal luck on drops.)

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. twincitiesknick

Any thoughts? :(

3. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

1. I think the easiest is the Witch Doctor. His summons are fairly useful in keeping enemies at bay while you hit them with yur spells.

2. Haven't try Monster Power in non-Infernal difficulties my self so this is just a guess: MP2.

3. "Single pass" seems a bit tough as of now, may want to wait until Loot 2.0 arrives.

Good luck!

4. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I'm currently running single player, single pass, full clear runs to level 60 on MP10 for all five character classes (only the Barb to finish now) and I must say that the Witch Doctor has been the easiest character to play. She did have a couple of deaths along the way, but that was usually when I was trying to complete an Achievement. I did dip into the AH on occasions, but with so little storage available to me I didn't have storage all the equipment I needed anyway. Besides, I don't have a philosophical objection to the AH.

5. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

Self-found / single pass is possible in Normal/Nightmare (easy even). My guess is that you will be stuck in Hell somewhere. Except if you are lucky and get a high DPS weapon in Hell. Except for the weapon, you can live with the loot that you find on your way till the end of Hell.

Besides that, Witch Doctor is indeed a good safe class to start with. You see tons of WD in Hardcore, for example.

As far as MP is concerned, I am not sure. I did not really play above MP0 while leveling my toons. No need too, in fact : by simply doing the acts once in multiplayer games, you do not need to redo any zone for levelling. MP1-2 are certainly possible because the MP increase of life/damage of the monsters is not as large in Normal/Nightmare/Hell as it is in Inferno.

For fun, I started once a toon in MP10 : every zombie took like 30 seconds to kill, it was ugly.

6. twincitiesknick

Thanks for all of your input! I may change things up with Inferno, but it's good to see that this kind of play is at least doable through Hell (if tough). I'm going to give Demon Hunter a shot because it looks pretty fun. Hopefully it'll go well :D

7. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Single pass full clears is possible - I even did Normal and NM at MP10, but it took forever...things started to get ugly in late NM, and in Hell I finally tuned down MP because with the current loot, your DPS will be far too low and fights will take ages (and you'll die to every boss fight...)