Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Self-found player. Will this drop solve my gold problems?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Artemis, May 22, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2191

1. Artemis

Artemis IncGamers Site Pal

I play self-found and only use the AH for selling. My gold was recently 600,000 until I unloaded some gems, bringing it up to 3 million.

But this dropped yesterday:
    View attachment 4371

Current prices start at 70m. It's a certain upgrade for most of my chars but the gold is hard to turn down (I would like to do a lot of crafting).

Do you think it's worth selling or is the gold overkill for self-found?
  2. Aremi

Aremi IncGamers Member

I suggest to equip this item to upgrade your characters and don't bother with the gold found by others.

However if you decide to trade, consider if you spend 70m at Blacksmith, could you craft legs better then these?
  3. Artemis

Thanks Aremi, you have helped me decide to keep the pants. Gold will come and go but I may never get this drop again. I'll just keep crafting/gemming according to my gold flow.
  4. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Nice pants :thumbup:

IMHO self found players should not use the AH at all, not even for gold.
  5. Artemis

I'm ok with selling on the AH. Since I can't buy mats, selling to the vendor is not an option, thereby reducing my gold income by about 50%.

Now that new crafting recipes are here, I'm rebuilding a gold find character to help out with the increased costs.
  6. BloodyFistHole

BloodyFistHole IncGamers Member

Yeah, you have to keep that! As a self-found player, it's drops like those that you play for. I couldn't imagine how elated I'd be if a set item dropped, regardless of quality; the fact that it's an upgrade for your character is reward for not giving in and using the AH.
  7. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

To be honest, as someone that's only played self-found, you shouldn't be having any real gold issues. Sure, if you want to roll countless chests, that'll be an issue, but if you stick to crafting one item per run, you should always come out with a gold profit in that run (craft item + gold left over).

The real killer is gems.
  8. Artemis

It's my first set item that dropped after more than 850 hours. I put them on my barb who's still questing through inferno, but it's an upgrade for almost all characters.

I think the real gold problem for me is that I have 10 characters. For example, I have a rain of toads witch doctor and a firebats witch doctor. I like the d2 style of having separate characters for each build, but gearing them all is expensive and the gems have gone up 10x too. My highest gem is flawless square and it will be that way for some time because of a serious shortage of tome of secrets.
  9. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Imo, you should keep it (forever?). It has closer to 350 mainstat + vit (for all mainstats) and 2 sockets - that means ~450 stats with gems, which is too good. Another blackthorne's piece would put you at a very comfortable vitality/survivability.

Looking at it only as pants and being picky, it misses all res. However, it allows you to ignore vitality on almost everything else. Those pants and archon shoulders of vitality would allow you to ignore vit on everything else, if my calculations aren't wrong. That makes gearing alternates a lot easier.

To avoid bankruptcy, my advice would be, for now, craft 3 ok archon shoulders of vitality (one of each mainstat) and keep the pants, swaping them over characters. Then, you can focus on getting 3 crafted bracers with mainstat, crit, AR. When you get at least 3-4 generic gearsets (with some options for IAS to reach breakpoints), then you try to slowly gear all 10 characters.

As for gems, imo, they really don't matter a lot until a certain point. E.g. star gems for +4 stats aren't that great. Perfect star emeralds aren't that insanely better than star emeralds if you don't have very high crit. At least, the gem upgrades aren't as good as nice crafted shoulders and bracers, imo.
  10. Artemis

Thanks for the tips BaronScarpia, they will help a lot. I use Nerves of Steel passive so Archon Spaulders of Vitality makes even more sense. I just crafted one now and got 212 vitality, but they also rolled 223 strength, plus 5% to my weakest res (fire).

The pants go great with this 2-hand axe that dropped at the same time:
    View attachment 4378

I'm now at 3020 LOH for the barb. Frenzy doesn't really make it shine, but I bet the monk will do very well with it.
  11. Artemis

Well, a day after my new gold find character reached lvl 60, this Goldskin dropped.
    View attachment 4384

I like to think it has a back story too because it dropped from the chest in the burning house in the Northern Highlands. That poor dead fellow on the ground probably thought he got lucky when he acquired this item, with big plans to get rich quick. Didn't work out so well.
    View attachment 4385

Anyways, I'm glad I kept the pants. It seems my gold find efforts are paying off.