Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Self-found: Hell starts to be hard

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by fjassin, Jul 1, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 1968

1. fjassin

fjassin IncGamers Member

Hi all.
    After years of D2/D3 SC fun I started HC recently. To take it easy I decided my Monk to be self-found no AH. So far (lvl 53) I'm pleased with the experience, I play mostly in public games, people are cool and understands my relative low dps, I was able to kill Diablo nightmare solo without too much problem. But now in act 2 Hell things start to become nasty and I have the bad feeling that I am leeching xp and loots...

Should I stay in act 1 longer?
    What are the classic milestones for self-found players in Hell (dunno, act 1 till 55 perhaps?) ?
  2. The Vortex

The Vortex IncGamers Member

I'm making an experiment on self-found gameplay with all 5 classes. Basicly I clear an act with one class, then with another until all five classes have that act cleared. Then I move on to the another act. That way all my 5 characters have a mutual benefit of the current self-found gear.

Currently I'm in act 2 nightmare with most of the classes around level 40. Everything is self-found. I can't wait to see if I'll hit the wall when I enter the hell difficulty.
  3. Concupisco Quaestus

Concupisco Quaestus IncGamers Member

I hit the same wall when I first started playing and that was in SC, think of it as the "gear wall", up until Hell Act 2 you can move through most of the game wearing whatever, it doesn't make "that" much of a difference but hell is where you start "needing" proper gear and resists and stuff, in self-found you are going to have to farm Act 1 for a few days if not weeks if you want to progress without "leeching" for the simple fact that finding the gear you need for hell/inferno isn't easy if you rely on your own looting because the vast majority of the loot/stats you need don't actually drop off the creatures you are killing or if they do, the chance is so miniscule due to mob level that you'd be better off buying a lotto ticket.

50-60 isn't hard because 50-60 is hard, it's hard because the loot scaling in the game falls a part between those levels and you are stuck using gear that is way underpowered and not scaled properly, for an example just look at the gap in DPS between level 50 weapons and level 60, that alone illustrates the gear gap causing this "wall" pretty well... and when was the last time you saw a level 40-50 item with all resists? level 40-50 is where you should be building up your resists so you have some by the time you reach hell but you can't, cause those items only exist for level 60's and the only way you can get all resist is by having a level 60 generate an item with all resist that has -level reqs... which basically means no AH, no all-resist... no all-resist? have fun in hell... The only real way around it is to stack armor and vit out the wazoo, add in some support skills to help the group and leech... Or keep bashing your head against the wall and eventually you will break through.
  4. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Sad but true!
  5. boglav

boglav IncGamers Member

I've also gone the route self-found all classes. True ironborn can only be played solo IMO. I mean after lvl 42 everyone is at around 5-8+k dps and with nightmare weapons you are lucky to hit 2k. If you find another self-finder to group with, cool, but otherwise in makes no sense, even if people don't mind you leeching.
    I hate AH, but damned if it's not a must, dammit..
  6. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Dang, is it THAT bad? Discouraging stuff right there, but I will have to find out for myself, I guess :whistling:
  7. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Not discouraging, see it as a challenge :)
  8. Lord_Vega

Always! :thumbsup:
  9. fjassin

fjassin IncGamers Member

A challenge yes but a challenge which sadly forces you to play solo if you do not want to leech.
    I stayed self-found until 60 and now I am using the AH because I prefer public games.

To illustrate my first post I lost my 52 DH last week... Damned last ten levels... :)
  10. Lord_Vega

There's also always the possibility of teaming up with other SF characters, so that one would not be forced to leech off in public games!

Sorry to hear about that DH, fjassin.. they are tough as hell even twinked as hell and with full AH coverage, I can only imagine playing on SF HC!
  11. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

You can get AR on gear in Hell. It's not going to exactly be forthcoming, like noted above, but it is there and the more you play, the more you'll find it. You just have to be willing to not wear perfect gear. That is to say, it might drop with a main stat that's not yours or with no mainstat at all, but it's self-found for a reason. You already understood going in that you weren't going to be an efficient killing machine overnight. Just speaking from experience, levels 50-60 are definitely the toughest to get, but if you help your character break the curve (play MP 10 Nightmare and you can have 54-55 before entering A1 Hell) and get lucky with a good drop or two, it won't be terrible. You definitely will rely more heavily upon high Vit and Armor though.