Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Seeking help with D2 on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Ethereal Noob of Obtusene, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 3 | Views: 662

1. Ethereal Noob of Obtusene

Ethereal Noob of Obtusene IncGamers Member

Seeking help with D2 on Windows 7

Hi, all. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section; I'm new here, and this looked like the most appropriate place to ask these questions.

After a hiatus of about three years, I've come back to the Diablo II fold and am trying to run the game on a Windows 7 Toshiba laptop. I encountered all the usual problems people seem to with the game on 7--strange colors, lagginess, etcetera. I installed Sven's Glide Wrapper to fix the color issue, disabled visual themes/desktop composition/scaling on high DPI settings, ran it in compatibility mode for XP pack three, all the classic fixes. The only way I've been able to get a color-corrected, lag-free game is with all of this plus running it on windowed mode.

Unfortunately, windowed mode just doesn't work for me as a player; I can't hotkey attacks, for starters, and it's a pain in the butt trying to run a Sorceress only able to do two things at a time. Can anyone give me any advice about how to run the game fullscreen, without lag, the way it used to run in the older OS setups? I'm this close to uninstalling the glide wrapper and just going back to the weird colors if it'll run smoothly.

I apologize if I haven't explained the problem adequately . . . I'm kind of a dunce with anything more complex than "put disc in CD-ROM drive." I mainly just want to blow demons up for an hour or two as a way to unwind after work.
  2. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician IncGamers Site Pal

Re: Seeking help with D2 on Windows 7

Hello, welcome to the forums. Not sure if this helps or not, but I ran into the same issue regarding the colors and did all of the things you mentioned, ran in admin mode, disabled the visual themes, and ran it in compatability mode for XP pack two. I found that reruning the video test solved the color issues without using a glide wrapper so you may want to look into that. It still lags from time to time though which is quite annoying, haven't figured that one out yet.
  3. RyTEK

RyTEK IncGamers Member

This is normal but there is a native fix in Win 7:

I'll check when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I made sure D2xpac is running in Admin mode. Unlike the poster above, I do NOT run in XP compatibility mode - doing so fails to launch the game (it is probably case specific, so that may work for you). Try to run it native in Admin, then try Admin + XP SP2 mode. The only thing that happens now is that the Bink video scenes are a bit slow to load (takes about 1 second). That's probably faster than when it was running back in the day!

Just keep trying a mix of the above, one is bound to work.
  4. Ethereal Noob of Obtusene

Ethereal Noob of Obtusene IncGamers Member

Thanks, guys! I'll try both and see if a mix-and-match doesn't work. :)