Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sanity going the way of a mudslide

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KiL, Mar 6, 2006. | Replies: 6 | Views: 275

1. KiL

KiL IncGamers Member

Sanity going the way of a mudslide

Things just arn't all that right.

For the past month or two, there has seriously been a degenerative downward slide. To begin, my little brother being convincted of a felony and my grandmother starting chemotherapy because of an incompetant physician. But, as bad as that stuff is I am still somewhat detached from it because I am away at college, and the immediate things here are just compounding the (I used to say I never got stressed out) stress level.

This is the most difficult semester of my college education right now, but I am doing surprisingly well, at the sacrafice of my time and enjoyment. Oh, I still go out on the weekends and have a girlfriend and all that jazz, it just seems to be on the backburner now (as it should be? because im paying for this education?). Oh yeah, also working 6 days last week. The classes are work and comprehension intensive as well, not just regurgitation, so the only one I am able to lean a lil back on is Philosophy, which should, in fact, be assisting me in identifying the causes of these negative passions and hence negating them ascending to become an examplar, a free man (Spinoza, you bastard).

And tonight the little things add up to this unecessarily long post: me being DD to the worst party ever anyways, having to hold back one of my best freinds from surely either an arrest or visit to the hospital, the relationship which I know is going to end at summer (except she doesnt yet), and my phone breaking from a 3 -foot-fall onto carpet; not to mention a new ill-fashioned haircut to top it off.

Anyways, feel free to or not to respond because I honestly feel better from just typing that, and plus i gotta get back to studying for test tommorow morning; yeah, the class where the modest estimate of how many kids are taking it for the second time is at least 1/3 of total enrollment in it.
  2. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

What did your little bro get convicted of?
  3. Night

Night IncGamers Member

I fear I'll be struggling with sanity soon too :) New job = eliminating free time completely, so that includes social life, personal life etc =P

GL to us :)
  4. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Well, sounds like you have your head on straight anyway.

If I were you though, I would priortize your external engagements. Try to limit your social events to the stress relieving variety.
  5. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I can help you. And please don't think I'm making fun of your situation; I, too, am quite unhappy where I am.

I went through a very rough patch in the mid-90's while a computer programmer for a heartless software chop-shop in Indiana. >70-hour work weeks, broken compensation promises from management, people finding fault with my code just because they wanted to be jerks, that sort of thing. I had left active Army duty just two years earlier, and I turned on CNN one morning to see my old platoon living in a bombed-out building in Bosnia eating MRE's. I thought, "there but for the grace of God go I".

If you think things in your life suck now, take a drive down to New Orleans when you go on Spring Break. Not only will you get a dose of what real-world troubles are (and believe me, they dwarf anything you'll run into in a collegiate environment), but you'll have a shameful sense of gratification seeing just how badly others' lives have been ruined in comparison to your own.
  6. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Triumph over adversity makes you stronger.
  7. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

You cannot do anything about it. Accept it or it'll eat you up.

Welcome to how life in the business world is. Long hours, little time for yourself, deadlines, pressure, chaos, screwups, etc. Be thankful for what you have now because it'll get worse.
    Did I mention I work full time for a firm and have a small business I work on at night/weekends as well as social obligations and a family? I wish I had your free time.

1. DD? Cant' help you with something I need a translation for.
    2. worst party ever. Might I suggest you attend only good parties? When they go bad, leave?
    3. Dumb friends. Do what you can, but remember a friend bails you out of jail and a good friend is in there saying "Oh man that was dumb".
    4. Relationship. You're going to get rid of her anyway, do it now and save time & money. Brutal honesty here.
    5. Broken phone. Good, now nobody can bother you.
    6. Haircut. It's called a razor or a hat. Both if you're really bothered by it.

Nice bunch of brilliance in that class. Might I suggest you look into taking night classes? The students are usually older, have families and know why they're in college. Unlike the kids right out of high school who are in college because that's what you're supposed to do.