Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sanctuary of the Prime

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Aceri, Oct 1, 2013. | Replies: 0 | Views: 4802

1. Aceri

Aceri IncGamers Member

Hey everybody! I am working on a story that stretches all throughout Diablo I to Diablo III. I really liked the "found" lore from Diablo III where you picked up pieces of a journal from various people and it painted a little bit of back story. My intention for my story is to take those lore books found throughout the game, and expand upon them to try and paint more of a picture.

With that being said, the story contains content from Diablo III's lore books, and I in no way try to credit them as my own. My original works are the "filler" of sorts that take place between each journal entry so to speak, and I have altered some of them to make sense with the story I am writing, so like if you see familiar text from the lore in-game with a bunch of new stuff written in them, that's me.

I've tried my best to try and mimic each characters personality in the story. I'm not sure however if I want to continue along this path of writing, or start from scratch with all new protagonists and story arch, so I thought I would show what I have here and if there is enough positive feedback, then I'll keep doing it this way. (In this way I plan on following from King Leoric, to Lachdanan, to Deckard Cain, Warriv, Adria, Aidan, and of course the heroes from Diablo II and III.

Without further delay, I hope to see what you all think of this way, whether or not I should keep going like this, or as I said above start from scratch.

-------------------------------

Sanctuary of the Prime

“From the east shall come a monarch whose rule begins in blood and ends in bone. In the light of a comet he will die a third and final death at the hands of the chosen.†– Malachi

Chapter I: The King

Journal Entry I:

“We have just arrived in Tristram, and I must say I’m a bit dismayed. This place is a backwater filled with serfs and an ancient, broken-down monastery, hardly fit for the king of Khanduras! I cannot fathom why Lazarus was so intent on this becoming our new seat of power. My wife believes this place can be fixed up and made worthy enough for a king. I must leave these matters in her hands however as Lazarus believes that the first step to a successful kingdom is restoring the Cathedral. My Arch-Bishop Lazarus, as well as my own devout faith in the Zakarum Church, agrees that getting the old monastery in pristine condition should be of the utmost importance. My queen also believes this would be a gesture of good faith to the people of nearby Tristram that I have come to rule over.â€

Journal Entry II:

“My queen feels that it may serve me well to catalog my experiences, both in our place of living, and as being the king of Khanduras. I do not know exactly what she wants me to put to the parchment. Perhaps she would like something to be left behind for our children, Albrecht and Aidan, when it becomes their inevitable time to rule this kingdom. Perhaps she is right, as I am not about to get into a debate with her, lest I loose my head.â€

Journal Entry III:

“I was informed earlier today that the monastery had been, for the most part, restored. My youngest child Albrecht insists that we go see it at once. He seems more enthusiastic than I have been about moving to Khanduras. Albrecht is the type of boy, much like me in my youth that enjoys the exploration of abandoned or recently re-discovered ruins. Today is a special day as well however as my eldest son, Aidan just finished his month of training to become a soldier with Lachdanans’ guidance. As a parent it’s difficult to know your child is training for violence, but at the same time fills me with pride that my son has become a man. I must get prepared, Albrecht is getting anxious and rowdy.â€

Journal Entry IV:

“A fetid, pallid malaise has fallen over the manor we now call home. Young Albrecht seems to be enjoying himself in our new home, however. Perhaps I am simply suffering from an imbalance of humors brought on by the recent change of climate. However, Aidan seems to be making himself quite at home as well. He truly is a man of the people, preferring to spend his time in Tristram. I think he’s taken a fancy to the maid, Gillian in town. Also he has been spending a lot of time with the local blacksmith, Griswold. Griswold seems to be pleased however, finally having a worthy apprentice. Griswold is a strong man with a righteous heart and noble intents, and I take pride knowing that my son is learning from him.â€

Journal Entry V:

“Young Albrecht is eagerly awaiting the arrival of his mother from the town of Tristram. He wants to go meet with the old man that lives in town, Deckard Cain and listen to more of his fantastical stories. I would take him myself, but a king’s duty is never truly over, as Lazarus and I have to discuss some of the less than glamorous aspects of being a ruler.â€

Journal Entry VI:

“I was dragged from my slumber this morning by my wife and youngest son. They appeared to be very excited, though my queen had the better of her emotions in comparison to Albrecht. The entire trip to town my family kept themselves awfully quiet, doing as much as they could to prevent me from knowing what was going on.

We arrived by carriage shortly thereafter, and to my surprise the town was, at least from my perspective rather empty. After stepping out of the carriage, Albrecht grabbed my hand and with as much force as he could muster dragged me to the chapel. I was shocked to find the entire town inside the chapel waiting for us to arrive. Standing at the altar was both my eldest son Aidan and the blacksmith Griswold.

After a brief introduction, Albrecht lead me to the front, where upon the alter rested a magnificent crown and a matching sword. Aidan then proceeded to tell me that the townsfolk all pitched in their precious jewelry and heirlooms to collect enough mithril to forge me this crown and sword, Griswold having the largest supply of the beautiful metal. I am overjoyed beyond words, though even with this sincere moment my people had blessed me with, something about the cathedral underneath the chapel seemed ominous, though I can not put my finger on it.â€

Journal Entry VII:

“Ever since my trip to the chapel to accept my crown and sword from the people, I have been plagued with horrendous nightmares that wake me screaming in the night. My wife believes it to just be stress, but it feels like something more. Whatever it is, I pray it dissolves quickly.â€

Journal Entry VIII:

“It has been quite some time since the nightmares had begun to assault my mind, and yet I feel as if the problem is only escalating. I am convinced that some malevolent being is attempting to wrest control of my thoughts away from me. Voices direct me to horrendous acts, and there are times when I seem unable to control my body. Lazarus knows, this is certain. He looks at me strangely when he thinks me otherwise disposed.â€

Journal Entry IX:

“Westmarch is brazen! All along, the people I have come to rule over have actually been spies for Westmarch! I must strike at them before they can invade my kingdom and turn any more of my people against me! I must make sure to not alert Westmarch’s suspicions however, and so I have ordered the execution of several spies within out midst, and I will continue to do so until I know for certain my kingdom is secure once again.â€

Journal Entry X:

“The council agreed with me that we should assault Westmarch before they have the opportunity to strike at us any further. I have ordered Lachdanan to lead our forces. He is apprehensive about the decision I have made, but he does not see what I see. My eldest son, Aidan volunteered to go be the voice of the kingdom in Westmarch, and I have never been prouder. At least I still have my children’s loyalties. My wife, however is another matter.â€

Journal Entry XI:

“Though my council begs me to reconsider, I will continue with the executions of those I find guilty of plotting against the kingdom. Perhaps they fear my eye will fall on them and discover their heinous, treasonous plans as well. Lazarus is the only one I can still trust after that traitorous cur of a wife betrayed me. I saw to it personally that she get beheaded and Lazarus suggested we put the bodies of the traitors in the hold. I couldn’t agree more.â€

Journal Entry XII:

“I have finally rid myself of the dark influence seeking to subdue me, and now I see things as they truly are. This conspiracy among the insolent townsfolk to weaken me by stealing my dear Albrecht away will not stand! Perhaps the heads of their women and children on pikes will bring them clarity. Lazarus is nowhere to be seen. He must be scouring the catacombs to find where the villagers have taken him.â€

Journal Entry XIII:

“I have just been informed by the captain of my army, Lachdanan that he and his men have located the whereabouts of my son Albrecht! This will be the last entry from me, as after I find my son, I will take both him and Aidan when he returns to our homeland and leave this gods-forsaken backwater to rot and decay in it’s own evil and corruption. Not before I raze this town to ashes, of course. I go with Lachdanan and his men to retrieve Albrecht and put an end to this once and for all.â€

Chapter II: The Faithful Knight

Journal Entry I:

“My name is Lachdanan, and I am cursed. Once the captain of King Leoric’s army, I lived only to honor my land and my king. No man has a greater love for his king than I had for mine, even as I drove my blade through his dark and corrupted heart. Though it pained me greatly to do so, in my heart I felt that what was left of our beloved king would appreciate the mercy. I know a part of his old self lingered, as his children were still his top priority.â€

Journal Entry II:

“My kings son, Aidan truly has grown up to be a good man. Though we suffered great losses and defeat, he wished to stay back and make sure every one of our men came home. Getting to know him throughout this battle, the voice in my mind of him being a spoiled child became silent. He has real potential in becoming a great leader in his fathers army, and my king I can only hope is as proud of him as I.â€

Journal Entry III:

“We returned to our beloved home to find it in disarray. I spoke to several of the townsfolk who informed me that our dear King had gone mad, executing anyone his paranoid eye fell upon. Afraid to admit the truth of it all, I began digging for answers, only to be severely pained by the truth of what had happened in our stead. I will continue to do some more digging, because I cannot fathom the truth of what I had previously found.â€

Journal Entry IV:

“I finally discovered the truth behind my Kings madness, and why we had been sent to war without provocation. It was Lazarus, of that I am certain. He alone had the king’s ear and whispered dark and evil magics into it, instilling the notion of an imminent attack by Westmarch. Afraid to speak against the archbishop, the councilors nodded their empty heads in agreement and sent us off to die. What good is having a council if no one on it has the backbone to speak up against such wildly destructive and reckless actions. I must continue to dig further and uncover how deeply seeded Lazarus’ corruptive influence has taken root.â€

Journal Entry V:

“My Kings youngest, Albrecht has gone missing. It feels as if this too was Lazarus’ doing. I ordered a small contingent of my finest soldiers to scour the countryside and the Kings hunting grounds for any evidence of where the boy has gone.â€

Journal Entry VI:

“It has been a while since young Albrecht went missing, and my king has gotten even more maddening. Believing Queen Asylla behind the kidnapping, he ordered her execution, and saw to it personally with that vile Lazarus by his side. I do not yet know what Lazarus’ goal is, but I aim to find out. Before my men and I can even get close to Lazarus, we’ll have to save our king from his insanity.â€

Journal Entry VII:

“I am ashamed of what trickery I had done to my king, though it was undoubtedly necessary. My most trusted knights and I lured our king to the royal crypts under false pretense of Albrecht being there. When we returned from our horrific defeat in Westmarch, my beloved king lost all pretense of sanity, though I could vaguely sense the king I had pledged my life to was still, somehow inside, struggling for control. When we made it to the royal crypts, and my king realized that Albrecht wasn’t here, he seethed with rage, spitting curses upon us as traitors. I ordered my men to stay back, that this burden was mine to bare and with great sorrow, I ran him through.â€

Journal Entry VIII:

“I will forever live in anguish for my last attempt to honor my king. As we lay him to rest in his burial chamber, he manifested as a hideous skeletal demon. Gorash and my other knights were overcome at once, but I fought on. Now I wander, cursed by my once-beloved king. Evil gnaws at my bones, and I cannot risk putting my beloved Tristram in danger should I fail to contain that which tears at me. I must venture down into the labyrinth to die alone. ‘Even in death the armies of Khanduras will still serve their king!’ are the last words my king uttered, and now it feels as if my bones are trying to free themselves from my skin. I must move deeper so that I never come to harm anyone.â€