Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Same level rare has +300 damage and +100 intel over legendary

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Diabloid, May 23, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 2371

1. Diabloid

Diabloid IncGamers Member

This can't be intended:

http://i50.tinypic.com/rcprvl.jpg

The rare has +300 damage, +100 intelligence and +40 durability.

I can accept that some legendaries are not necessarily better than rare/magic, but this is plainly ridiculous, makes me wonder why there are legendaries at all in this game.
  2. Flux

Flux Administrator

1) There are like 50 threads about this already.

2) Spectacular roll rares are meant to be better than uniques in D3.

2.1) Many improvements and color-additions to uniques are coming in a patch.

3) Those 2 are actually a fairly even match, since the Wizardspike is so much faster attack. The huge increase to critical and +INT puts the club ahead though, I think, at least for a Wiz/WD.

Incidentally, I find the way that weapon types don't matter at all in D3 to be quite annoying. Barbs and Monks should not be using daggers and toothpicks as melee weapons. Wizards and WDs should not be using bows and huge 2H clubs as casting weapons. Sadly, the removal of any stat reqs for items and the nonsense of swing rate = casting speed and all damage yielding from weapon DPS obscures all of that.
  3. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

I don't see why people see it as a problem. Back in Diablo II classic the uniques were not the best items. Rares were top items (good ol' days of Gothic and Rune Bows) and only some uniques were used due to their unique modifiers that didn't spawn on rares.

Only when LoD came out that uniques took over. The only potential problem with this in Diablo III is if Legendaries have no unique properties AT ALL so they are indeed totally obsolete.
  4. Carisma

Carisma IncGamers Member

I think they even limit whihc weapons a class can use even more, and at the same time prevent strength/dex being on a wand.

5. Revenant

Revenant IncGamers Member

Where did Blizzard say that (seriously just curious)?

Thanks!

6. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

I'm perfectly fine with:

Perfectly rolled blue < perfectly rolled rare = perfectly rolled legendary

I think things should be tweaked though so:

Average rolled blue < average rolled rare < average rolled legendary

Legendary drop rates could probably stand to be a little bit higher (emphasis on little).
  7. Revenant

Revenant IncGamers Member

I am absolutely not fine with 1000+ dps blues being better than top legendary items. That makes absolutely ZERO sense. I think Rares should also rarely be better than Legendary items...but have the potential to be better. It seems like the Legendary items are truly at the bottom of the item chain.
  8. beingmused

beingmused IncGamers Member

Those two items are not "the same level".

That mace has an item level of 63, meaning it can only spawn from acts3/4 inferno. It has spawned with near the upper range of the maximum tier possible of +elemental damage, and near the upper range possible for +int mods. Wizardspike has an item level of 62, it can be found an act earlier.

Now it could be said that this is part of the problem with legendary items - none of the clevel 60 legendaries have the max possible item level of 63, they stay in the 61-62 range. This was intended so that rares that roll with the max possible ilevel, with good affixes, and near the top of those affix ranges (like this mace) can surpass legendaries. But I think legendaries should be given custom stats that make it a big tougher for lower ilevel items to beat or match them, while still allowing near-ideal items like this mace to come out on top (and given the socket and the Wizardspike's speed, it still doesn't come out on top by all that much).
  9. Malodium

Malodium IncGamers Member

As others have mentioned, its ok if legendaries don't have uber dps all the time. However if the dps is usually lower, you NEED some compelling reason to ever use them, since DPS is king in D3. Since all damage from all skills come from weapon DPS, legendaries better dang well have some really cool, possibly unique stats to make them desirable. Right now they have none, and are mostly useless.

Blizzard has basically designed a new game mechanic, that of extreme disappointment. You are going along have fun slaying everything, and FINALLY after two level 60s a legendary drops WOOT!!! *indentify*... oh maaaan...sigh.
  10. Warrax

Warrax IncGamers Member

Where do you see the ilvl?

11. beingmused

It isn't shown in game. You can go look on diablonut for the item level of legendaries.

As for the mace, you can tell it is ilevel 63 from the following clues:
    - Its graphic
    - Elemental damage affixes have 14 levels, and +591 means it can only be the 14th level of the affix (where the max ranges from 334-667), and the 14th level only shows up on ilevel 63 items.

12. Sleepwalk

Sleepwalk Banned

Working as intended. Extremely rare items that are deemed "legendary" should be vastly weaker than magical items bought at your common merchant.

13. AnimeCraze

AnimeCraze IncGamers Member

I thought they said they tried restricting the item types first, and they found out that nobody can ever find a weapon they can use, so they changed it. I think what they need to do is to make certain class based mods only spawn on certain items, so that while you can cast with a big 2-handed club, it will probably suck compared to a good wand.

14. TarnishedHope

TarnishedHope IncGamers Member

Problem being that legendaries, as of right now, are much, much, much rarer than ideal rares. That concept worked in Diablo 2 because, well, ideal rares were much rarer than uniques.

This is not the case in Diablo 3.

By the time you actually find a legendary, you most likely have something better to laugh it off with.

Earlier arguments are invalid. Regardless of ilvl, Wizardspike is still considered top end legendary in Diablo 3.
  15. beingmused

You really love saying things you have absolutely no basis for, don't you? For such an item to drop, it has to be 1. of the highest item quality 2. have the right affixes 3. have the highest possible category of the tier affix and 4. roll high values within that tier affix. To get lucky enough to jump through all 4 of those hoops is VERY difficult. A legendary doesn't deal with steps 2 and 3, because (most) of its affixes and affix tiers are already set - it is just the values within that tier that can vary some.

I've found 3 legendaries. I've found zero rares of that quality or anything approaching it (look at the AH and see which is easier to find).

While numbers for most of the legendaries should be changed, that doesn't justify you lying or making things up just because you feel like complaining.

16. Warrax

Warrax IncGamers Member

I see, thank you for the information.

17. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

you also have no basis for your statements
    just because you've found zero rares of that quality doesn't mean that's average for everyone else
    maybe you've just been extremely unlucky
    and telling him to look in the AH is dumb
    just because we can't find those items on the AH doesn't mean they aren't being found
    it could mean that people are using them instead of selling them

maybe he's right, maybe you're right
    but you have no justification for calling him a liar