Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Salvage and crafting vs vendor in 1.0.5: which is better?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by The Lich, Nov 11, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 17754

1. The Lich

The Lich IncGamers Member

Hi guys,

I have some questions regarding [salavaging and crafting] vs [selling to the vendor] for inferno runs.

1) In 1.0.5, which one is better?

2) If you do salvage a lot, do you sell the material on AH or is there a specific item that's worth crafting and selling on the AH?

3) During my runs I do not pick up the blue items, is that good?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I used to salvage because I liked selling bulk amounts of essences for lump amounts of gold. I don't think it's more profitable though... I also only pick up yellows and golds. Most sell for 1700+ gold. Most of the prices on exquisite essence are 500-1200 gold each. You also get taxed 15% on this. In theory you could vendor what gets you over 1200 gold and salvage everything that gets you less. Then sell the essence on the AH... but think of how much time you'll be wasting looking as the item sell price, then sorting stacks of essence in your stash, then taking up an auction slot, then waiting for it to sell. I think you'll be much better off just vendoring them..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  3. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

If you do a quick check on the AH, you will see the grand majority of items (especially rares) are better off being vendored. Though if you know you're going to vendor an item, you probably shouldn't even pick it up, as TPing in order to vendor blues makes you lose more gold than you make because you're wasting time that could be used for more farming. Also, the profit from vendoring/salvaging is so small either way, that filtering through items (deciding which ones to salvage and which to vendor) is completely not worth it.
  4. The Lich

The Lich IncGamers Member

Alright, it seems like vendoring is better.

But what about this: you salvage and you craft a profitable item! Could that work? Which items are the best for crafting profitability?
  5. InsaneAction

InsaneAction IncGamers Member

6 prop, Gloves/Pants

6 prop, Helm/Shoulders

6 prop, Bracers/Belt

I have a buddy that used to stream and craft for a small fee... He almost always got amazing returns for the 6 prop gloves and pants. What I mean from that is he crafts an amazing pair of gloves for a person. The person sells them for 20+ mil and will send him a mil or two for crafting them. The Pants are great to, provided you can get a pair with great stat rolls and 2 sockets.

The helm and shoulders can yield some good ones, same with belts and bracers but with the upgrade to the legendaries people seem to go with those instead of a Rare item for those slots...

If you had to pick one go with 6 prop gloves. Mind you the plans aren't cheep...
  6. galzohar

The 3 seconds of crafting could be better used to just farm more gear that can be sold on the auction house. Not to mention the crafting fees, pattern costs, material costs and time it takes to figure out your item's price and listing (and re-listing) it on the AH.
  7. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

I used to salvage everything, then I vendored everything. I'm almost to the point where I'm only going to pick up legendaries. Most rares I find are garbage, and I really only pick them up for the 50k gold a full inventory nets me. The only gold I've made worth mentioning is flipping someone else's find, or from a high roll legendary. So unless you're really hurting for gold... just pick up the items that shoot that giant gold beam into the sky ;-).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  8. InsaneAction

InsaneAction IncGamers Member

Learn the Un-IDed Item names to know what's worth picking up and what's not. It will speed up your run times without missing out the chance for a amazing ilvl63/ilvl62.

Example: Pick up all Rings and Ammys and use this chart to figure out the rest of it... After looking this over and doing a few runs you'll get the hang of it.

[​IMG]

That way that stash full of rares has a greater chance of netting you something worth a damn. Also by doing this I don't run into the issue of my Inv filling up and making me stop what I'm doing to clear space.
  9. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

great post
    thanks for the chart
  10. galzohar

Except in 1.0.5, unless it's a weapon/shield/offhand, it doesn't need to be ilvl63 to be good. An ilvl58 can have the exact same stats, only losing a bit of armor.
  11. dastral

dastral IncGamers Member

If you farm Act3/4_MP0 or MP1+, you MUST pick up everything as a lvl58 "non jewellery" can be almost as good as a lvl63.

Lvl58 Jewellery is as good as Lvl63 Jewellery now (assuming you do Act3/4_MP0 or MP1+)
  12. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

I don't pick up anything except jewelry

everything else is all junk

it won't even sell on the AH
  13. Cydonia

Cydonia IncGamers Member

I pick up lvl 63 1-handed weapons and armor, all bracers, boots, shoulders, helms, jewelry. And also some lvl 62... galrakis, golden talons, crag hammers, conquest swords. Bracers and shoulders seem to never be good though so maybe I should stop picking them up. Boots and helms are rarely good but it is easy to tell when they are sellable and some of them are a easy million so I figure it's still worth picking em up but I might be wrong.
  14. Dethklok

Dethklok IncGamers Member

Very nice chart. Memorizing these is critical to good speedfarming.
    Quoted for truthery. I used to be in the 61+ crowd, but I realized that belief wasn't anchored in reality.

Only the armor values of armor, damage values of weapons/mojos/sources, attack speed of quivers, and block amount of shields is effected by ilvl (item level, displayed); all other mods are based off mlvl (monster level, mostly hidden), which is constant for the MF run. In order from least effected by ilvl to most effected...
    1. Amulets, rings, follower trinkets. These are completely unaffected by ilvl; definitely pick all these up.
    2. Any type of helm, cloaks, gloves, mighty belts, daggers. General people are looking for three (or more) uncommon mods on these. Armor matters, but very little. Daggers are here because good stuff like crit damage/socket/lifesteal can be on a fast offhand and still be good for whilybarb even if damage is low. Recommendation: ilvl 58 maybe, ilvl 60+ pickup.
    3. Bracers, chest armor, pants, boots. Either socketed, crit chance, or move speed is a big deal here, but that's only one affix. Armor matters here, but it's not a deal-killer. Recommendation: ilvl 58 ignore, ilvl60 maybe, ilvl 61+ pickup.
    4. Shoulders, normal belts. These are almost entirely defensive pieces so armor is key here. Almost all barbarians will go with life-steal mighty belts here, so getting normal belts with skill-mod doesn't help much. Recommendation: ilvl 58-60 ignore, ilvl61 maybe, ilvl 62+ pickup.
    5. Most one-handed weapons, class-specific offhand. A quick glance at the AH will show that only a few ilvl62 weapons achieve viability, and pretty much zero ilvl61 and lower. One-handers are more likely to break this mold, since a dual-wielding character might take an offhand with lower damage but lots of good mods to complement an ilvl63 mainhand. Recommendation: ivl 58-61 ignore, ilvl 62+ pickup.
    6. Two-handed weapons, wands, witch knives, shields. Who uses a shield anymore? Yuck. For a shield to be good, it pretty much has to be perfect. Two-handers fall here too. Recommendation: ilvl 58-62 ignore, ilvl 63 pickup.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  15. dastral

dastral IncGamers Member

Well i agree, but not picking up "normal items" you are missing out on the potential "billion gold drop".
    Now this sword is not perfect (Dex & Freeze instead of Crit & Lifesteal) but it's lvl62.
    Actually it could be lvl61 and the DPS would still be similar :)

Some slots (like chest) will be almost impossible to sell because of set items.
    But a "perfect roll" like 200Str & 300Vit & 80AR/400Armor + 3 Socket will still sell for several millions.

Sure it's 0.00000000000000000001% but not by not picking up every item you deny yourself that chance.
    A friend asked me what was the best possible weapon for Barbarian last night.... Yellow Axes