Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Sales Tax charged on RMAH purchases.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Cisgo, Jun 14, 2012. | Replies: 3 | Views: 3101

1. Cisgo

Cisgo IncGamers Member

I posted this on the main site however it was burried very quickly due to all the other activity.

I made a purchase on the auction house and noticed I was charged sales tax. I have been using other legal RMAH products since 2005 (Station Exchange, Live Gamer, etc.) and never seen or heard of sales tax on player to player virtual goods transaction. I think it is bad enough that Blizzard represents a 15% PayPal transaction fee when they are only paying 2.2% to PayPal (transfers are free) and pocketing the other 12.8%. I would think that would be enough (along with the $1.00 fee) considering the highest transfer fee I have ever seen in any other service was 10% total sale without any other Mickey Mouse fees.

Any accountants out there that wish to take a stab at this and reply I would appreciate it, thanks.

2. FaultyYogurt

FaultyYogurt IncGamers Member

What's your location and did you deposit to Battle.net or check out via Paypal?

3. viledevil

viledevil IncGamers Member

i have bought and sold with no sales tax fee (there is a spot for it but its zero). that said, i'm in canada and it varies based upon where you live; bliz just complies with what they see as legally necessary to do business in a place.

4. Cisgo

Cisgo IncGamers Member

Hey thanks for the reply guys. I bought an item using my existing Battle Net funds. I just found it odd that I paid extra due to the % tacked on as sales tax, considering I never experienced that in prior games with RMAH. Being that it doesn't appear to be global, possibly New Jersey enacted something recently on taxing virtual goods. It wouldn't surprise me with this state.