Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RW-Barb: questions

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Dagaz, Sep 10, 2013. | Replies: 12 | Views: 1214

1. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Hi, all :wave:
    Here's the thing. First I was thinking: »Due to some bad choices in the past I need to save some soc quests«. That brought me to: »If I make a fun character with runewords in helm, armor and weapon(s) …«

This idea of strictly runeword driven char brought me of course to barbarian. Frenzy barb to be exact.

So this is what I have in plan:

Weapon 1: eth cryptic sword ‘Oath’.
    Weapon 2: eth colossus sword/blade ‘Death’.
    Armor: ‘Fortitude’ (nor sure about the base)

Helm: ‘Delirium’ in a 3 soc barb helm with some nice mods.

Since this is more or less themed char, I’d really like to use act 1 or 5 merc. Rather act 1. Plan is: ‘Delirium(?)’, ‘Fortitude’ and ‘no idea about the weapon yet’.

The rest of equipment is not a big problem; I can try and test different unique/rare items as I go.

Oh, I won’t use phase blades (/dimensional blades). I don’t want to use them on anything but on paladin and sorc.

Since I have no experience with frenzy barb, would somebody please stop me if I’m missing anything or about to do something very stupid? ;)

2. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I've not used Oath/Death, but it seems like a sensible combo. Is the Delirium just there because it's a helm runeword?

As for the merc, I have a sorceress that used a barbarian merc with Last Wish. He made an incredible tank and boss-killer, although for a frenzier that's not as important.

3. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Last Wish is a 'bit' out of my league. :)
    And yes, you are right about Delirium. It's like the-best-of-the-worst choice. Well, I guess there is Dream, but I doubt I'll use my future Jah for that. I'm very sceptical about Delirium's morphing to be honest.

4. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Yeah, I've used Delirium in the past, but usually not on melee fighters. If you're getting hit a lot, it's more likely to trigger the transformation. While it's not usually dangerous, it could happen at an inopportune time and you wouldn't be able to use your skills. Curiously, the rogue mercenaries seem unaffected by this. If they get transformed, they continue shooting their arrows, blissfully unaware that it doesn't seem anatomically possible.

5. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

:D Really? That's nice to know.
    I've never played with Delirium. It is a bit expensive to make just for fooling around.

6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I dont think Delirium is a wise choice for a frenzy barb:

14% Chance to Cast Level 13 Terror when Struck
    6% Chance to Cast Level 14 Mind Blast when Struck
    1% Chance to Cast Level 50 Delirium when Struck
    11% Chance to Cast Level 18 Confuse on Striking
    +2 to All Skills
    +261 Defense
    +10 to Vitality
    Extra Gold from Monsters 50%
    Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 25%
    Level 17 Attract (60 Charges)

If you go for a runeword helmet, then Dream is a nice option:

10% Chance to Cast Level 15 Confuse when Struck
    Level 15 Holy Shock Aura When Equipped
    +20-30% Faster Hit Recovery
    +30% Enhanced Defense
    +150-220 Defense
    +10 to Vitality
    Increase Maximum Life 5%
    +0.63-62.37 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
    +5-20% All Resistances
    Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 12-25%

(Mind that Dream is a ladder only runeword, although the runeword mod is legit here iirc)

7. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

RWM is not a problem; Jah is. :whistling:
    It's strange how there are no mid-level helm runewords. Some very low and one very high. And Delirium somewhere in the middle ...

8. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Yeah! That sucks! ;)

9. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Again and again I see that eth Balrog Blade is very popular base for Oath. Is there any particular reason to go for BB and not Cryptic sword in my case?
    Since I plan to use 2 handed weapon in an offhand Death, I was looking for a fast 1 handed 4 soc weapon for Oath - thus Cryptic sword.

10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Maybe because of the relative high base dmg and BAS.

11. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Thanks all. I'm leveling him towards l61 now. I've made Voice of reason as offhand weapon (as long as I don't find something nice and eth to put Death in) and it's really effective (so far (act3 NM)).
    However, I don't get one minor thing. Why is there a delay every time frozen orb goes off? It's not really crippling my play, but it sure is strange, because both left and right buttons (well, icons) go red for about half a second and I am pretty sure he can't swing in that time. I'm not 100% sure about this, because everythig is so fast. Does 'chance to cast' suffer the same delay as casting delay on sorc/other casters, or is there some other logic at work?

12. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Hm, I've had a paladin using Zeal and an assassin using Dragon Talon that both used Voice of Reason. Neither seemed problematic. Maybe by the time a Zeal or DT sequence was completed, the FO delay was already done?

13. Dagaz

Dagaz IncGamers Member

Yeah, that seems reasonable enough. After some more playing yesterday - it's not even half a second, maybe a quarter. And yes, he just stands there. But again - it's not really that annoying (yet? Well, I don't plan to use VoR as an endgame weapon, anyway.)
    Otherwise - Ur entered Hell yesterday and finally equipped Oath and the new Fortitude (27 all res). He's like a breeze :)