Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Russian Meteor Impacts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dawnmaster, Feb 15, 2013. | Replies: 55 | Views: 3518

1. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

It's been in the news (Belgium - Europe) for the last 2.5 hours now.

Amazing stories and a few genuine videos, maybe not so cool for the people living there, but I'd find it thrilling to actually see a real meteor/asteroid/comet crash through the skies above me.

And with the prospect of the Asteroid shaving the Earth tonight (20h35 Belgian Time) I might get a glimpse of it!

What do you guys think about such a sight, or even the impacts? What about a (hypothetical) giant crash which wipes out half the world, I've always been fascinated with post-apocalypse scenario's (seen tomany movies, but always wondered what would really happen to mankind)
  2. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

/cue jmervyn COMINTERN theory

For myself, the times I have seen unusual things in the skies - meteors, comets and such - have been memorable for me. It brings home the idea of scale, the size of human concerns compared to the enormity of the physical universe we see in the sky.

My sympathies go to those who have suffered as a result of one of Nature's wonders - but to me, they are still natural wonders.
  3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Not really; I was going to drop a vid in my latest WAR thread for giggles but Dawnmaster beat me to it. Here's the article from the Mail; I don't have time to shop around YouTube but there's apparently lots of vid from various Russians.

I thought it was interesting that there's claims (more reasonable than those about UFO's) that the thing was blasted apart by Russian air defense. The fact that there are three impacts makes this seem plausible, but I don't really think it's likely - people forget that SAM's are largely reliant on fragmentation and blast to down their targets, and I doubt very much that the Russians would have a SAM-Laser deployed in the area.

EDIT - We don't like to think about it, particularly regards Global Warming, but we're not much more than ants when seen from the cosmic scale. Anyone who doesn't get a chill witnessing the Power of the Universe ought to have his head examined.
  4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Metorite, not meteor!

BTW, 3 hours later and the meteorites might have struck me!
  5. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

6. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

I voted for B.

I want to believe in the writings of HPL and hope one day to see a Shoggoth. :yes:

Plus - gigantic tomatoes - what's not to like? :nod:
  7. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

no. in space it's a meteoroid, when it's shooting through the sky it's a meteor, when the dust has cleared and you pick up the resultant rock, that's a meteorite. No one cares about the rock, it's the blast that's newsworthy. hence, meteor.

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/meteor_vs_meteorite_vs_meteoroid

Dumb that they' are different words, if you ask me....not that anyone ever does.....
  8. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

In space, it's an asteroid.

A meteorite is a piece of rock which falls on the earth and reaches its surface.

A meteor is a piece of rock which heats up and leaves a glowing trail when entering our atmosphere. Its name is from ancient times when it was considered an issue of weather (meteo = weather).

A comet is a piece of rock which does that when approaching the sun.

An asteroid is a piece of rock which doesn't leave a trail while travelling through the solar system.

A shooting star is a piece of rock which falls on the earth and evaporates before it can reach the surface.

So we are both right and partly wrong :p
  9. Stevinator

still think there should be only two words. one for comets (mostly water) and one for rocks, wherever they be. We're getting very particular with our terminology.

A few weeks ago I helped the mooch (bro's gf) who is a tutor, get caught up on the whole pluto not a planet issue from a few years back when they reclassified it (student was writing a paper about it). there are so many different terms for things. i suppose there are reasons for why we have all these overlapping distinctions, but for her (a space novice) it was very confusing.

i should have charged for that. :/
  10. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

I think watching that meteor would be amongst the top 10 most badass experience in someone's life.

A: "Hey I met <Insert random celibrity>, yesterday!"
    B: "I just saw a meteor explode inside the atmosphere, and I felt the shockwave on my face"
  11. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

In before Jmeryvn

[​IMG]

Dave Chapelle predicts the future
  12. Stevinator

Yes, but also pretty scary. The blast was like 10 times as big as the A-bomb dropped on hiroshima.
  13. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

14. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Walt Chelyabinskney

[​IMG]
  15. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

That's THREE times, Bob. I was just going to use the Russian one...
  16. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Russian reaction to Meteor near Impact.
  17. Dawnmaster

You gotta love those russians, I've seen countless of videos in the online newspaper, I think they're the only country with somany people having a camera on their dashboard?
  18. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I thought it was odd, then I thought maybe it was some sort of extra layer of police cars with cameras, but it turns out that they use it <because> of a lack of police protection and civility.
  19. Dawnmaster

I wonder, with all the current tech in the world, we have gps/bluetooth/on board computer etc, why don't all new cars come standard with a camera (or multiple cameras), it's not that they're expensive or anything?

It would certainly provide a lot more correct answers as to what really happened pre-accident? Allowing laws to be changed and cars to be secured to the utmost accuracy? Because slowing down the speed limits will do nothing if people don't look before making a certain maneuver, only reduce the amount of damage / increase crash survivability, wouldn't it be better to avoid the damage all together?
  20. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Some of us remember real privacy, (Hello Central, get me Underwood-342) You want a camera, get a camera.
    You own it you post it you use it for self-defense or can delete the tape.

I like the ways the Russians are doing it.

it's Capitalistic.

True Black Markets are like that. You know after the official ones fail,
    or Anarchy as some here put it.

(It's not the number of cameras it's the amount of people living off of insurance fraud.)