Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Roll of the Dice Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by P§ÃÇHÕ, May 13, 2013. | Replies: 48 | Views: 3111

1. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

Apologies if this type of tournament has been created in the last 3 years I've been absent, but I figured I'd make a new tournament for shiggles.

1. Any version is welcome - considering there are no prizes, there is no exchange of items so everybody's welcome to participate in whatever version/mod choice of their wish;

2. Three characters must be chosen - they must all be Hardcore, no matter what version you choose;

3. Any 'players' setting is welcome;

4. Self-found only with an important exception... All items you wish to use on the three characters you've chosen MUST REMAIN ON THOSE characters. You may keep a stash for muling purposes for items you want to keep, but once an item is transferred off your characters to that stash, it cannot be re-equipped. You can move items from one tournament character to another freely;

5. Quests must be completed in order, however quest rewards do not have to be used immediately (such as Socket/Imbue quests);

6. Characters must wait at the next Act for the others to 'Catch up';

7. Resetting Skills and Stats quest reward is allowable - but one must assign their skill points with the same 'Roll of the Dice' as they would by levelling.

Now onto the fun part...

The idea is to allow pure luck and chance to dictate how you build your character - in this case by using 'dice' (or a roll of some sort such as the Number Generator website), to influence the allocation of Skill Points. The first number you will roll is one out of 'three' - this is the Skill Tree you will put your first set of points into. Roll a second number out of 'six' - this is the amount of points you will put into that Skill tree before you are allowed to roll again. Skill points MUST be spent immediately when earned (via levelling and Quest Rewards).

As an example let's say you have chosen an Amazon as one of your characters. The rolls are '2' and '4' respectively. When you look at the Amazon skill trees, the '2' corresponds to the 'Passive and Magic Skills' tree, and I must spend my first '4' skill points there before I'm allowed to roll again.

Your biggest limitation is perhaps this... Once you have placed a Skill Point into the 6th, 12th, 18th and 24th point of ANY Skill Tree, you are not allowed to spend any more points in the previous skills of THAT particular tree. The only way you will be able to get around this is to Max out the lvl 30 skill of that Skill Tree.

Quest Rewards that offer skills will fall under the same fate of chance - a roll out of 'three'.

Players are given until Sunday the 19th of May to choose and name their characters - but players are allowed to start questing immediately. I don't really think having a time limit is appropriate, because I don't want to force part-time players into questing like madmen to level. Let's see what interesting builds occur ;)
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

I'll play the following classes:

Necromancer
    Druid
    Paladin

I'll commence the rolls now!

Necromancer: 3 and 2
    Druid: 1 and 4
    Paladin: 1 and 2

I'll get some names going soon enough ;)

ENJOY!
  3. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

Necromancer has officially been crowned 'HolyHandGrenade'. Following his foray into the wonderful world of applying two points into Amplify Damage I re-rolled to discover a kinder outcome of chance - his next five skills will go into Summoning Spells! An extra point into Skeletons gives me two to work with at least... The Den of Evil quest? Let's say no more - Amplify Damage!
  4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Cool idea! This is similar to a random tournament of sorts I tried 2 years ago where each level the skill and stat points were decided randomly. This one seems a bit more user friendly tbh.
  5. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

I'm in (and will be doing latest version with RWM!). Been looking forward to another iteration of 3wd.

Last 3 character tourney I completed across the board was 3WD 2, and I had a Necro, Sorc, and Zon, and I'm doing a staff-leaper-barb in the Randomly Challenged, so I'll be rolling with:

Kismet the Druid: 2nd tab, 3 skills
    Felicity the Assassin: 1st tab, 2 skills
    Karma the Paladin: 1st tab, 1 skill
  6. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

7. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

By the way something I'll need everyone's opinion on... What shall we do about the Reset Skill/Stat reward? Do we want to ignore it? Do we want to include it, but allow the skill points to be shared out via chance yet again, with the same type of dice rolls?
  8. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

I'm not planning on participating, but I say they should be disallowed. Takes away from the randomness!

Either that, or they can be used, but at some sort of imposed penalty: limit each set of rolls to a tier of skills, IE, if you respec with 60 skill points, and roll 3-6 first, those 6 skill points must go into level 1 skills. Second roll is 1-2, must go into level 1 skills. Third roll is 3-1, now you have unlocked the second skill tier in that tree, level 6 skills.

Otherwise, grind through the game as best you can, respec at 40-50's so I can dump points into 24 and 30 skills. I don't think this is what you want happening in your random builds.

Okay, now I go back to the peanut gallery. Have fun!
  9. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

Updated rules to reflect judgement on using Reset of Stats/Skills quest reward - I believe it's fair ;)

Progress: HolyHandGrenade, the Amplify-Damage-enthusiast, is well on his way through Act I ploughing through just about everything in his way. I can't believe the extra couple of forced points into Amp. Damage is useful - reminded me of doing Hell Cows with a long lost Necromancer ages ago. Also finished up on the second roll and is now on his third: 1-3 - looks like I'm well on my way to getting Clay Golem up in levels.
  10. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

Hmm very tempting this one even if i am doing the random one as well and have several other characters ongoing.

One stash shared between the three right?? I shall select my 3 later on tonight and their starting skills.
  11. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

No no no ;)

All the items you ever want your characters to wear, including gems and charms etc. must remain on the characters themselves. You can use a stash to mule off items to keep - but once you mule items off, you can't put them back on your characters. It's doable, trust me ;)

[edit]1-4 on last roll - looks like chance is being kind and I might get a ton out of my summoner skills! [/edit]
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  12. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

Okey Dokey lets see what characters and skills i get

Assassin using first skill point in martial arts
    Druid using first 6 skill points in elemental
    Paladin using first skill point in offensive auras

Hmm not to bad, i wont need a stash really as being they cant be used anything i want to keep for other none dice characters can go in my current ones being i dont trade.
  13. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

And HolyHandGrenade is now level 19 and parked firmly at the start of Act II waiting for everyone else to catch up! Random rolls continue to see me putting points into Summoning Skills - in fact I haven't seen anything apart from a '1' roll since my first shot. It has been both a blessing and a pain because I'm missing Curses that I'd like to have. Can't complain too much though ;)

So far found a Pelta Lunata (Pally's gonna be happy about that), and an Infernal Cap (all with no Magic Find). Nothing to report off Andariel herself except for Hsaru's Belt and a sweet rare 3-slot belt.
  14. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

I can see we have a bunch of views but not too many sign-ups! Come on, I see you lurking ;)
  15. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

So having cleared den of evil just now do i roll for quest earnt skills each time i get them or can i count it as part of the in this case 6 elemental ones i must go for first for my druid?

Also i am right in thinking i can put as many points into tier 1 skills eg firestorm for me BUT as soon as i stick one into molten boulder i have to max that before going back to lower tier skills and i dont have to go for the higher tiers when they become available until i want to?
  16. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

@kstuart - You are correct in assuming you have to roll to see where the Den of Evil quest reward is placed - but it DOESN'T count towards your 6 Elemental Skills.

For your second question, it's simple: Say you only have Tier 1 skills in one tree. You can put as many points into those skills as you want. But if you place one skill into a Tier 2 skill, then you can't go back at put skills into the Tier 1 skills again. Likewise if you then put points into a Tier 3 skill, you can't go back and put points into Tier 1/2 skills. The only way you can start placing points into previous skills is once you have maxed out a Tier 6 skill in that particular tree. In your case maxing out Armageddon or Hurricane would then allow you to start placing skills into previous Tiers.
  17. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

lol easy enough to follow then

anyway update time

LaraCroft Assassin using first skill point in martial arts
    StormyWeather Druid
    RobinHood Paladin using first skill point in offensive auras

StormyWeather has so far only completed the den of evil quest with the first 6 skills going into elemental with 4 in firestorm and 2 molten boulders. The den of evil skill point was selected for the summoning tree which means raven in this case with a aim of reaching grizzly eventually. Handily the next levelling skill points are 5 into summoning tree which will probably be spirit wolf and oak sage.

The other two are not started just yet.
  18. P§ÃÇHÕ

P§ÃÇHÕ IncGamers Member

BlackAlbum the everything-Druid is sitting nicely at the start of Act II after defeating Andariel in an uneventful fight. Really hate the Jail and Catacombs section of Act I as I get bored fairly easily - pretty much skipped all of the Catacombs, only killing boss packs along the way.

Necromancer in Act II ought to be slow moving, but with no real threat. Hope I can get Iron Maiden somehow to deal with Duriel as the Duriel fight is ridiculously easy with IM/Clay Golem.
  19. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

Managed to play for an hour or so tonight after being out of town all week. Kismet is looking like he's going to be a werewolf druid as of the end of the Den of Evil; all of his points are in the 2nd tab. The last toss gave me 2 points to invest in summoning skills; the time will come when I have to decide if I want wolves or just a badass creeper or sage of some variety.

The point in poison creeper that I've put (the first of the aforementioned two) is fun; it's increasing my killing speed to a level where I'm not grumbling about how slow I'm swiping in wolf form, or how many times I wiff with my club...

Edit: I say this, and then I decide to just finish the roll I was on; next throw is 6 points in the summoning tree. Hmm...
  20. Wolron

Wolron IncGamers Member

I would like to enter. I guess I choose three character types and randomly set up their first skill from the first tier, so here goes: Bandy is an Amazon (Javelin and Spear: 2); Sleek is a Sorceress (Lightning: 1); Bonemeal is a Necromancer (Curses: 6)