Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Robot Battles/Fights/Wars/Combat/...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dawnmaster, Jun 28, 2013. | Replies: 19 | Views: 1799

1. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Recently I've been watching episodes of "robotica" on the discovery channel (one of many)
    and I got the itch again ^^

Anybody else here loves robot fights (as depicted on television),
    would love to try it for themselves,
    or even has competed in a fight?

At the moment I'm going to try and build a non-combat robot from lego parts first
    (it will still be moveable and have "functions")
    If I succeed, I might move up to actual metallic robots,
    and if I succeed in that I "might" consider signing up for a battle ^^

There are only 3 things keeping me from starting:
    1) it's cost, parts aren't cheap and can get damaged, thusly needing spare parts by the lot
    (but next year I'm going to be laid off due to the closure of Ford Belgium, and will receive a nice byebyecheque)
    2) time consuming, I barely have time for any hobbies I currently have left
    (but it would make a fine project to spend time with my son in a few years)
    3) knowledge, although I'm very innovative, and probably have enough engineering skills
    to pull this off, I have little true knowledge of electronics,
    and zero knowledge of wireless electronic remote control / receivers
    (still not sure how to tackle this part, it seems the major problem to me atm)
  2. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

Go to a big box toy store and buy a bunch of remote control cars or something so you can mess around with them. You could probably find them super cheap.
  3. Dawnmaster

Yeah but somehow I don't think that gets me the required torque they achieve on television shows.
    Those guys talk about using (several) golfcart/wheelchair/vacuumcleaner motors, and draining 24 to 36 V battery packs in a matter of minutes :p

The one thing that baffles me are the rather useless weapons they all appear to have, hammers/hacks/saws/blades/punchers/rollers seem to do no stopping damage 99% of the time, why waste somuch resources and time in building them?
    Of the 24 competitors in the mini tournament I saw, only 1 guy effectively broke of a few little pieces using a spiked roller, and 1 other guy had the luck when he used a lifting arm to simply till up the complete armor of the other bot (which didn't stop it, and he wasn't damaged further), all the rest did was run around and bash a little with their full weight? (which sometimes knocked off a chainbelt or connector orso)

Perhaps I should stick with Lego, that way it'll be easier to do some "damage" to eachother ^^
  4. Technomancer

Technomancer IncGamers Member

My brother and I have been interested in combat robots off and on since the late 90's, but never had spare time or resources to put into it whenever we got the itch. We had something of a rekindled interest a couple years back and almost started to build things, but life kinda side-tracked it. Now, robotics has come up again, but we're setting our sights a little lower-powered (aka, affordable and less time-consuming) this time. We've been talking about a small wifi rover for a long time, and more recently have become interested in small flying bots/drones. Then, last night, we saw this:

*brains asploded*

We've been going back and forth on actually doing something with robotics for years, but something always seems to get in the way or we lose focus. I don't know if we'll actually do it this time, but it's a bit more serious sounding than usual.
  5. Dawnmaster

*droooooooools*

I have several small cars/helicopters for recreational use indoors, but the quadrocopters have caught my attention as well for a while now, but I'm not sure on howmuch cash to spend on it.

A new and decent one cost on average 300-700 euros (depending on the brand/type),
    but I've seen them being sold for 60 euros on the black market (although the quality is doubtfull)

I've seen several videos and usage of the quadrocopter (constructing a building with blocks, delivering a pizza to your house, carrying the food/drinks to a table in a restaurant, ...)
    But these tiny ones seem something new to me (last documentary I saw about them, the small ones still had a life wire)

Pity you're not in Europe, else I'd gladly drive several hundred kilometres to meet up and discuss/listen/watch to you/your robots!
  6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Autonomous delivery copters will probably not come that soon. I think it's highly problematic to let them fly through residential areas or (restaurant) crowded places. In case of accidents, the manufacurers or owners will have a huge problem. Besides, tips would suffer badly in restaurants.

There is potential for autonomous systems in controlled situations, however. Robots can certainly be useful or for mowing the lawn a few other kinds of garden work. I have a rather big lawn with lots of trees, bushes, othe obstacles and a trench, but from what I heard, it would be impossible for those of today to get the job done. Also, I don't want it to be stolen while it's mowing the lawn in my absence. As soon as there's an affordable and usable version, I would buy it.

How well are roombas doing their work? I guess you still have to vacuum a couple of problematic areas, so it's probably not really saving work. IMO the toughest part of house/gardenwork is getting started, so it may not really be a help for me.
  7. Dawnmaster

Flying cars have been ready for over a decade now, but none made it into official law/sales/public use yet.
    I guess that just like the quadrocopters, I'm eagerly looking forward to the day we "futurice" the world we know.

Move forward to the transport and gadgets as seen in Total Recall / Minority Report / Starshiptroopers / etc...
    But as it is now, I'll satisfy my needs for future tech by letting loose my fantasy, and try to hobby a few things myself ^^

(PS: the quadrocopters as seen in pizza delivery and restaurant serving were not autonomous, but remote controlled by a waiter)
  8. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'm not that much of a fan. Not because it isn't kind of fun, but because it strikes me as a bit too silly. Grant on Mythbusters was the world champion or some such, and even though the robotics are cool it really doesn't seem like a legitimate game. One side has a chainsaw, while the other has a flamethrower. Woo-hoo Remote Control nerdage?

If you have true projectile weaponry involved, I'm a LOT more interested. Sooner or later someone will manage to marry up a paintball or Airsoft style gun to a model R/C tank like the one I own (or the one I wish I owned, below) and it will make for a hell of a sport.
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, this seems like a far more enjoyable concept, and since my dream of buying my own Bren Carrier seems unlikely, maybe this is possible:

9. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Nice King Tiger :yes:

Reminds me of a weird morning I had one time as a kid, during my paper round. I decided to peek over the top of a wooden fence surrounding one of the houses at the end of a lane I was delivering to. There was an M3 half-track, a genuine WWII jeep and a bren gun carrier in the garden of the house. I have rarely had a more surreal moment happen to me.

If I see any bren gun carriers during my travels Merv, I'll give you a heads-up. Least I can do, considering :nod:
  10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I've run across a couple - the problem with any of those sort of things is finding repair/replacement parts. People have no idea how high-maintenance tracked vehicles can be.

More on-thread, you've asserted American origins and background. Do you recall 'demolition derbies'? There was even a toy... "Smash-up Derby"

11. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Wow, Smash-up Derby. I haven't seen those toys in a long time. I seem to remember when they came out. Meh. I never got to play with them :no:

My friend and I anticipated Smash-Up Derby by a number of years, using cars made from Lego. Lego is some of the best stuff for constructing destructible vehicles.

Preview edit: you changed the YouTube clip! How cheeky!
  12. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

My works charity supports these Guys that use Robot Combat & Creation type events to teach Science and Tech to Kids.
    The FIRST[SUP]®[/SUP] Robotics Competition event was a lot of fun.
    You might see if you can team up with a similar organization?
    (This one has events all over the USA but there might be a similar group in Europe?)
    Have fun and help people at the same time.

The excitement of FIRST[SUP]®[/SUP] Tech Challenge
    Grades 7-12

The energy of the FIRST[SUP]®[/SUP] Robotics Competition
    Grades 9-12

The spirit of FIRST[SUP]®[/SUP] LEGO[SUP]®[/SUP] League
    Grades 4-8

The enthusiasm of Junior FIRST[SUP]®[/SUP] LEGO[SUP]®[/SUP] League
    Grades K-3
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2013
  13. Technomancer

My brother dug his old BEAM walker robot out of the closet yesterday and put it back together. He originally made it back around 2000, and it had some "bugs" (pun intended), but it's pretty neat. Electronically, they're actually really simple and use analog electronics to move and react. No processors! They do have limits though, but are interesting. He's thinking about putting together a newer, better one. The one he has is like a heavier duty, battery powered version of this. It moves toward light, backs up when it hits a wall, and turns away from objects. Here's an old video from the inventor of BEAM robotics:

He starts showing off some of the features around 3:30.

*sigh* The story of my music career... :p
  14. Dawnmaster

I've been watching various Robot combat shows, and saw some more serious damageing ones ^^
    At this point I'm pretty convinced I won't be able to talk my wife into taking up this hobby,
    let alone have her permission to let my son help me in a few years :p

So for the moment, I've redirected my attention to Lego (remote control technic, mindstorms is rather expensive)
    and after some trial and error I was able to create a car with a functional gearbox.
    I sense my engineering skills atleast are growing, so perhaps a few more projects and I'll be ready for a robot!
  15. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Anybody remember these shows from 5-10 years ago with robots named Sir Killalot etc? They weren't really robots, but remote-controlled.

(skip to 2:00)

16. Dawnmaster

Free for all match, haven't seen one of those in ages, it's all 1 VS 1 tournament style nowadays ^^
  17. Technomancer

I used to watch those shows all the time, but they become more and more rare.

The Mythbusters guys were also in on the whole robotic combat scene with their way-too-good-bot Blendo. It was so destructive and dangerous, it was kicked out early and given co-champion status. ;)
  18. Dawnmaster

Would love to have been there to see the shrapnel fly into the audience, from the other (safe) side ofcourse :whistling:

Where those early arena's that crappy? Or was their robot really that destructive?
    (not talking about the flying over the edge part, talking about their second co-championship)
  19. Technomancer

It was just a big, heavy, high-powered "reverse-blender" robot. It's gonna cause some damage! That's something to remember: combat robots are REAL WORLD DANGEROUS AS HECK!! If it can destroy another robot, it can DESTROY a person.

Of course, that's part of the awesome... ;)
  20. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Starting at the ankles and only if your not smart enough to punch out the operator.
    I have yet to see one I would not take on with a sledgehammer (Though I would head for the operator in most cases - the airborne ones (Drones) and hackers that take over your car and crash it are much more real world problems.
    DARPA Talks About Hacking Cars

Michael Hastings