Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RMAH maximum listing price per item : 250€ (Blizzard FAQ)

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Alcorfr, May 1, 2012. | Replies: 25 | Views: 4080

1. Alcorfr

Alcorfr IncGamers Member

2. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

Re: RMAH maximum listing price per item : 250€ (Blizzard FAQ)

Interesting news, but what I gather from this post is that bids could potentially go higher in auction style sales.
  3. Lokiftw

Lokiftw IncGamers Member

Makes me wonder about the gold-cap on accounts...anyone happen to know this info.?
  4. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

The FAQ needs another FAQ to answer the questions the FAQ raises.
  5. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

Yep, the items that worth and can sell above 250$ will sell above 250$ because there will be no buyout price only bid price.

From the link you gave (and ty) read a bit up, and you will see that bids can potentially be unlimited.

MIGHT be better to just post something that worth 500$ in GAH with buyout for a price in gold equivalent with gold prices in RMAH, then sell the gold.
    Will be better, because you might sell the 500$ item for a 260$ bid.

But...there is also the situation when you might sell it for a 600$ bid.

Anyway, it really seems that Blizzard REALLY REALLY want GAH to be fcking stable (and by extent , a stable gold price in RMAH).

Which is good anyway, regardless of the 250$ price set (for bid OR buyout)
  6. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

The problem wioth using gold and selling the gold is you'll take a much bigger fee hit going to RM.

On your hypothetical $500

Selling the item would cost you a $1 fee.
    Selling the gold would cost you 15%. So on $500 that's $75 :scared:

And if you want to go to paypal that's another 15% in either case. I won't even get into how absurd double dipping the 15% on commodities is.

Edit: In fact, your scenario is even worse because you lose 15% selling the item for gold on the GAH as well. So,

Item to gold. 15%
    Gold to RM. 15%
    Want it to go to paypal? Another 15%.
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  7. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

we get about 70% after fees, its not that bad. Items profits are slightly better, but yes I agree.
    Blizzard likes to double dip its players right up the ars*e with commodities :wave:
  8. Creamster

Creamster IncGamers Member

Does not matter anymore ... they announced global play today .. game over for me...gonna stick whit either grim dawn or torchlight 2

No fun to play for hours and find a nice item just to see that the market is being overrun whit it at dirt price... just being realistic and also balanced economy is ruined fact.
  9. Lokiftw

Lokiftw IncGamers Member

To me, this too seems to suggest that there will indeed be extremely high value items ($thousands), and they want 15% of that money too. If the max starting bid is 250, i would say anything valued over 350 is going to be most easily converted to a commodity to cash out. (to avoid the risk it selling for max starting bid only at a large %-value loss - as semakka's example showed).
  10. Eagle

Eagle IncGamers Member

Yes it shall be problematic. That $250 max for the starting bid is good for buyers. Sellers are screwed either way. Either they risk getting far less than the item is potentially worth because they can't set the minmum bid high enough or they get screwed by multiple 15% fees.
  11. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

If people (that is, more than 1 person) are willing to pay more than 250$ for an item and actually notice it listed before it expires, it doesn't matter what your minimum bid was. They'll bid what they're willing to pay and you'll sell it for whatever the 2nd highest bidder placed plus 5% (or 0.1$, whichever is higher, though for >250$ obviously 5% will be higher).
  12. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

I think you are over looking the very small chance of a best in game item dropping, you could play for months trying to get the most expensive sword in the game and it still not dropping. Its all random chance, this will keep the amount of very top gear on the rmah low. As soon as it does appear it will be sold with a few hours, a day at most if listed with a fair price.

13. Bowzer

Bowzer <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a><br>D

We've known that regions wouldn't be locked for a few months now.

And item's do not transfer across regions. I'll link you the quote:

14. PearlOrion

PearlOrion IncGamers Member

15. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

This is even BETTER news.If you cannot SEE why a maximum bid/buyout is better than a limitless bid/buyout, i am going to try to explain why is good news.

They, Blizard, can make it so that drop rate for items (upon kills or crafting) to be in specific limits, making it so that the BEST items in game to be in a number that will allow a GOOD price for all the parties involved : the seller, the buyer, blizard and PP.

It is exactly in the lines of why they wants a stable gold price.If there are TOO MANY items with almost same itemization, the price will DROP, and the fees will also drop.The only real gainer is the buyer.If there are TOO FEW the price will go UP, and there will be less buyers, hence less transaction, hence less fess.The only gainer is the SELLER.

Blizzard wants EVERYONE to be happy with the RMAH.

Imagine 10 items listed for 5$ each on daily basis or 1 item listed for 50$ on daily basis (raw example ofc can be 1,000 for 5$ and 100 for 50$).The cheap 5$ items are all bought on daily basis.The 50$ ones...hardly will sell all everyday, but some will sell.

Now imagine 10 items listed for 10$ each and 1 for 100$.The difference between 5$ and 10$ is 5$.But between 50$ and 100$ is 50$.
    The 10$ items could very well all sell (even if only 6 sell, still is MORE then 10 x 5$ above).However...the 100$ items might sell one every 2-3 days.

Blizzard WANTS a price that will ensure AS MAXIMUM TRANSACTIONS as possible for maximum earnings.The item drop rate can be calculated so that items under 5$ potential value to be so high that the price will drop asap under 3$ and people will sell them in GAH, the items with a potential value of 10$ to be ao low that the price will jump to 20$ and the items potentialy worth 500$ to be as many until the selling price to drop under 250$.

The best (and probably planned by Blizzard) scenario for items in RMAH will look like this :
    -some items for 5$
    -some items for 10$
    -almost NO or only few items between 10$ and 20$ (
    -ENOUGH items between 20$ and 30$
    -almost NO or only items between 30$ and 100$
    -ENOUGH items between 100$ and 200$.

They will make it so that the ACCEPTABLE price to be between 20$ and 30$ , with ENOUGH demand (25$ is NOT that much once a month) and ENOUGH supply (drop rates) to be the MOST traded items and produce a stable income thru fees.
    Also, it is in BOITH seller and buyer that the usual selling price to be 20$-30$ and the items to be good enough.

A very HIGH price (non-limited cap for bids/buyouts) or a very LOW price (big drop rates) does not pleases all the parties involved.
    Only a medium price will please all : buyer, seller, Blizzard and PP.

16. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

17. Bosskar

Bosskar IncGamers Member

Or Blizzard might just want to make more money by making players use the GAH. Here is my maths:

CAPPED RMAH... LUCKY Item sells for $250USD. Blizzard makes $1+15% cash out... = (250-1)x15% = $38.57USD.

Now say you wanted to sell it for $500USD, but to do it through Blizzard and not illegally.

ONLY ONE WAY to do it... Sell for Gold first... there is a VERY strategic reason the gold cap is 100,000,000,000 gold... Crazy number no.. its there for a purpose!

So basically if you want to sell an item for $500USD (through Blizzard) you need to sell it for $500 RMAH worth of Gold (what ever that is). For mathematics it doesn't matter what the exchange rate will be because only %'s will be involved with this type of transaction... no more $1 sales for gold.. again this was all done for a reason.

FOR BUYER TO GET THE GOLD: Most people will not have $500USD worth of gold so will need to buy someones gold up to the value of $500USD. Regardless of how many transactions that would be broken up into, Blizzard will make $75 AH (500x15%) fees + $63.75 Cash out ((500-75)x15%)).

TO SELL YOUR ITEM: Then it comes to your item. 1st You sell it for $500USD worth of gold and lose 15% of the value into virtual thin air (AH fee).. you lost $75, but that's ok because Blizzard eliminated some gold out of the economy that it was already paid for by the buyer.

You have $425USD left worth of gold. You sell that gold on RMAH.. 15% fee applies, Blizzard makes $63.75. you have $361.25 You cash out.. Blizzard makes $54.19. You have $307.06USD left from a $500USD item.

Total fee Blizzard gets to make that transaction happen... $75+$63.75+$63.75+$54.19 = $256.69USD

If Blizzard lifted cap to $500USD = (500-1)x15% = $74.84USD.

There could be a bit of strategy here.

TLDR..

1. $250USD caps on RMAH mean you need to turn to GAH to go above that cap.

2. Blizzard makes money of 2 x the transactions (each with their own micro transactions) to make that sale happen..1st Transaction to get gold, 2nd to purchase the item. In this easy example.. $74.84USD vs $256.69USD in Fees.

2. Selling an item for $500USD worth of gold means you are left with $307.06USD.. STILL NICE.. BUT OUCH IN FEES !!!
  18. viledevil

viledevil IncGamers Member

i think this will revitalize p2p trading and if it does its great.

that said lets look at how often items sell that high - most people will never even see an item like this the entire time they play d3 (assuming the game is relatively bot/dupe free). it matters to me in principle because its irritating but the number of times i expect my items to sell that high is very small.
  19. glasspinne

glasspinne IncGamers Member

Terrible news for everybody except Blizzard.

What a joke, calling it an auction house and putting a limit on the max price. Sure a max on asking price would have been alright. Putting a max price on sale price is beyond terrible. I remember in d2 some items going for over $1000 at the start, windforce and grandfather comes to mind. I even sold a tal rasha armor at start for over $300. This was a long time ago. IF there were no caps I would bet you some items would go for a lot more than that.

The only thing this opens up for is 3rd party stores, the very thing Blizzard claims they want to get rid off.

I can only see one of two reasons for this cap:

1. Some sort of legal deal, not sure what it would be.
    2. Greed, as people have pointed out this forces people to be charges double fees for items worth more than $250.

Now all we need is a cap on how much gold a person can transfer in a trade so that they force ppl to use the AH instead of trading to avoid fees.

FU Blizzard!
  20. riptide

riptide IncGamers Member

What so you pay 39% in fees? The smart thing to do would be to TRADE your 500.00 item for 2x 250.00 items or something like that. At least if you didn't want to use a 3rd party cash site, but since high dollar items are good to trade on forums. You'll most likely be using a forum, cash or otherwise, at least for most of your high-end trades.

Last edited: May 2, 2012