Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RMAH Alternate Cash Out Option

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Eeryck, Apr 5, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 2857

1. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

RMAH Alternate Cash Out Option

I don't know if I have read anything that would prevent something like this from happening.

1. Assume you sell all your items and take Blizzard Balance instead of Paypal option.
    2. You build your Blizzard Balance to say $15
    3. Now you want to cash out
    4. Post Epic sword of grey terribleness for $15 buy it now option
    5. Pay Blizzard their cut when you buy out your own auction with your Blizzard Balance
    6. Pay PayPal their cut
    7. Profit (albeit less than what you would have gotten for just picking paypal the first time)

Does that work?
  2. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

Re: RMAH Alternate Cash Out Option

Epic sword of grey terribleness loool what you been smokin bro xD
  3. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

Or you could just sell your balance for bitcoins, or skip the rmah altogether.

Strange new world we live in
    I give it 3 months max, these are the end times
    PS: I told you so:jig:
  4. Pheal

Pheal IncGamers Member

While this sure will work, you end up paying 32.25% taxes instead of 15% since you have to get your item sold 2 times (they are multiplicative). While this is a good option for commodities (they will not sell for enough to be worth cashing out instantly), I strongly advise not doing this with higher priced items as it will take a lot of profit out of it (tax wise) and it might end up that cashing out right away takes less profit from the sale.

5. Eeryck

Eeryck IncGamers Member

I don't smoke anything, that was sarcasm that should have worked even through the interwebs where there are extreme sarcasm filters. In layman's terms I was saying post a grey item up with what ever ammount of money you had in Blizzard Bucks you wanted to transfer out to paypal

Yeah taxes schmaxes. I was just curious on the outside chance that I ever did make any money in this game that I wanted to take out. Everything will go to Blizzard bucks for me all the time. But if at some point in my Diablo career I ever had say $100-$200 Blizzard bucks just sitting around I might want to cash it out even if it is at a higher "tax" rate and go buy a candy bar or something. :)

6. MackTen

MackTen IncGamers Member

@Pheal

Are you talking about Blizzard/PayPal's fees, or regional government taxes (or income tax)? I know Blizzard is going to charge $1.25 per auction, but I am not aware of what PayPal will be charging.
  7. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Until we know the paypal fees, the cost or benefit of this process will remain unknown...

Of course, you probably can't buy your own item - You'll probably have to use a trusted friend or something.
  8. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

PP have 2.9% + 0.30 $ per transaction.

You have 2 accounts.So, if you do, let's say 10 microtransction worth 15 $ and choose to send them all to PP account, you will pay:
    -0.30 $ x 10 transactions = 3 $
    PLUS
    -2,9% x 1,5 $ x 10 transactions = 0.435 $
    TOTAL = 3,435 $

Now, if you send all 15 $ to bnet.balance then buy a crap for 15 $, sold by your second account, you will pay :
    -15% goes to Blizzard
    PLUS
    -0.30$ PP fixed fee
    PLUS
    -2,9% x 15 $ = 0.435 $
    TOTAL = 2,25 $ + 0.30 $ + 0.435 $ = 2.985 $

Assuming 200 $ now with 133 microtransactions :
    -0.30 x 133 transactions = 39.9 $
    PLUS
    -2,9% x 1,5 x 133 = 5.7855 $
    TOTAL = 39,9 $ + 5,7855 $ = 45.6855 $

Now, sell one item from sec. accound for 200 $ :
    -15% goes to Blizz
    PLUS
    -0.30 $
    PLUS
    -2,9% x 200 $ = 5,8 $
    TOTAL = 30 $ + 0.30 $ + 5,8 $ = 36.1 $

So, yes, it will be worth doing it.
  9. galzohar

Items on RMAH have a 1.25$ fee, not 15% fee, so the difference is actually much greater than what you listed.

If I really have to pay paypal 0.3c for every microtransaction I probably won't be using the RMAH much at all, or at least use my brother's account to cache out if that method indeed proves to be safe.
  10. FizzyBubbly

FizzyBubbly IncGamers Member

I believe your calculations have not taken the correct data into account.

PayPal: 2.9% on total sale amount + $0.30
    RMAH:
    --15% on Gold and Crafting Materials
    --$1.25 on Items
    GAH:
    --15% Across all transaction types

Recalculating your scenario

"You have 2 accounts.So, if you do, let's say 10 microtransction worth 15 $ and choose to send them all to PP account, you will pay:"
    -I assume each transaction will be for $1.50 and it was for either gold or crating mats
    -From this blizzard will take their 15% transaction fee: 1.50 * .85 = 1.275 sent to paypal
    -Paypal receives 1.27
    -Paypal takes fee: (1.27 *.971) - .30 = $0.93
    -$0.93 is deposited in account, this happens 9 more times for a total of 10 transactions equal to $9.30 total in account
    -This amounts to $5.70 in total fees-

** If these transactions where for items it would not be worth it to post them on the RMAH because of the $1.25 fee

"Now, if you send all 15 $ to bnet.balance then buy a crap for 15 $, sold by your second account, you will pay :"
    -Still assuming the transactions are for Gold or Craft Mats
    -Each transaction listed for 1.50, Blizz takes 15%, total sent to blizz account #1 = $12.75
    -Remember Items have a 1.25 fee!!!
    You then buy white item listed by blizz-acnt#2 for $12.75 with blizz-acnt#1(remember items come with a $1.25 fee on RMAH)
    -Blizz takes 1.25 from $12.75 = $11.50 to be sent to paypal from second account.
    -Paypal receives 11.50
    -Paypal takes fees 2.9% + .30, (11.50*.971) - .30 = $10.86 total left in paypal account
    -This amounts to $4.14 in fees-

>> You had the right idea just some of the fees where misused.

Note#1:

The basic idea is that you are bypassing the multiple $0.30 fee every time paypal is receiving a transaction however this only works if the $1.25 fee is less then the amount you would pay to have the multiple transactions go through to paypal.

-For example: 1.25/.30= 4.16 transactions, This means that if the total $15 where originally sold between 4 transactions the use of the second account wouldn't be needed and in the end cost you more in fees.

Lets Test:

Again assuming in Gold or Craft Mats
    -Each transaction listed for $3.75
    -Blizz takes 15%, Paypal takes 2.9% + .30, 3.75*.85 = $3.18 sent to paypal, ($3.18*.971)-.30= $2.78/transaction
    -4*2.78 = $11.12 total in paypal account(which is more then if you had used your second account)

So What is the main point when considering using a second account?

The use of the second account should be determined by how many transactions you are looking to make. If you plan on making many many micro transactions at least 200 transactions ($60/.30) for this is how many saved $.30 transactions you would have to make to cover the cost of the second Game Copy. Also remember you are limited to 10 transactions at a time/account.

Note#2:

Be aware that micro transactions that are of Items are restricted to the 1.25 fee. To come to at least $0.01 profit from the sale it would need to equal at minimum $1.57

11. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

why has no one corrected him on buying his own item? you manage your account through your battle.net account. d3 opens it for you when you hit the button at the top of the rmah interface. you press the cash out button to send your money from your blizzard account to paypal, wether you send it manually or set your sale to go right to your paypal account, paypal takes a modest nip at your money- 2.9% plus thirty cents. $250 *2.9% +$.30= $7.55, which is reasonable if you save it up and cash out in one go, but if you have every little thing going sraight from the rmah to paypal, those little thirty cent nips will add up quick, to $10.25. not backbreaking, but easily avoided.
  12. FizzyBubbly

FizzyBubbly IncGamers Member

There is no cash out option from blizzard to paypal once the money is in blizzard account. He was talking about a second account being used which requires making a completely diff blizzard account.
  13. jwfcp

jwfcp IncGamers Member

****, youre right :/

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175548388

ok so its not too bad, when you have maxed out your blizzard account, you wash it for a paltry blizzard fee and paypal does its usual thing, no biggie.
  14. galzohar

Except you need a second account or a trust-worthy friend. For me it's a non-issue since my brother will play too, but for some it may require buying a different copy of the game and possibly opening up a 2nd paypal account.
  15. semakka

semakka IncGamers Member

Anyone who plans on microtransactions should either have 2 accounts or a trust worthy player so he won't lose much.

But, if no 2nd account, you should do multiple microtransactions in GAH (even if the fee is 15%) and sell the gold in RMAH.

It is going to be up to anyone which way is the best way.