Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RIP Jonathan Winters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BobCox2, Apr 12, 2013. | Replies: 10 | Views: 1014

1. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

The Original and inspiration for the likes of Robin Williams and Jim Carrey, has died. He was 87.
    Winters and his free-for-all brand of humor inspired Johnny Carson, Billy Crystal, Tracey Ullman and Lily Tomlin, among many others. But Williams and Carrey are his best-known followers.
    ‘‘Beyond funny, He invented a new category of comedic genius,’’ comedian Albert Brooks tweeted Friday.

On Jack Paar’s television show in 1964, Winters was handed a foot-long stick and he swiftly became a fisherman, violinist, lion tamer, canoeist, U.N. diplomat, bullfighter, flutist, delusional psychiatric patient, British headmaster and Bing Crosby’s golf club.

Winters’ only Emmy was for best-supporting actor for playing Randy Quaid’s father in the sitcom ‘‘Davis Rules’’ (1991). He was nominated again in 2003 as outstanding guest actor in a comedy series for an appearance on ‘‘Life With Bonnie.’’

He also won two Grammys: One for his work on ‘‘The Little Prince’’ album in 1975 and nother for his ‘‘Crank Calls’’ comedy album in 1996. He also won the Kennedy Center’s second Mark Twain Prize for Humor in 1999, a year after Richard Pryor.

He continued to work almost to the end of his life, and to influence new generations of comics. ‘‘No him, no me. No MOST of us, comedy-wise,’’ tweeted comic Patton Oswalt.

Winters had made television history in 1956, when RCA broadcast the first public demonstration of color videotape on ‘‘The Jonathan Winters Show.’’

The comedian quickly realized the possibilities, author David Hajdu wrote in The New York Times in 2006. He soon used video technology ‘‘to appear as two characters, bantering back and forth, seemingly in the studio at the same time. You could say he invented the video stunt.’’

My kind of funnyman!

:D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  2. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Great comedian; will be sorely missed.

Hopefully nobody dances on THIS grave?
  3. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

JW was the first comedian/comedic actor that I became aware of, my very first "favourite comedy star". I imagine it was It's a Mad ... World, The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming and Viva Max that lodged him into my young consciousness.

Gentle, madcap, off-the-wall humour and as a comedian, the first of his kind, as far as I can tell. Fare well, Jonathan Winters, hero of my long ago youth.
  4. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

We now return to our normal, not vile arsehole programming.

I loved Russians. Pretty sure it's on Netflix; worth showing my boy so that he "gets" the Cold War paranoia.

EDIT - Forgot Alan Arkin and Brian Keith. Arkin's still alive, seen most recently in Argo. I won't dance on Carl Reiner's grave when he occupies it, but he's always struck me as a bit of a dirtbag.
  5. LozHinge the Unhinged

Alan Arkin will always get a free pass for playing Yossarian in Catch 22.
    It's not that I think he did a brilliant job, it's just that anyone in that role would receive the same privilege - unless he was so bad he broke the movie.

*insert 'film not a patch on the book' comment*

Yes, yes, obviously.

:wine:

Brian Keith - Mr Reliable. He played a transcendent Buckshot Roberts in Young Guns - his screen presence was like a sudden influx of maturity in an otherwise foolishly banal film (which I like - sometimes I enjoy banal). It was like an unexpected reality or sanity check.

Brian Keith - the poor man's Brian Dennehy? I always thought so.

Oh, and for clarity - nobody should be dancing upon a mere dirtbag's grave. It's inappropriate. Reiner has pleased me with one or two of his efforts, none of which spring to mind. Yep, that memorable.
  6. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I'll agree to not disagree.
    I tended to the reverse. For a while, my in-laws claimed kinship with Dennehy, but it proved invalid.
    GagchokepukeI honestly can't remember anything he's done that's worthy of note, aside from his noxious politics, that I should hate OR love him for. I'll be happy enough to let him drift into obscurity. Ahem.

OTOH - I remember this dude from a couple of forgettable shows, and he's married to one of the Barbi twins. That's worth remembering.
  7. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Wait WAT!
    [​IMG]
    and do you think he has gotten both?
    and is he sure?

Back OT
    Above is a artwork he did.

Toro Toro.
    Watch it all.
    Hope He's Enjoying the "Fairway to Heaven" he improves AS Bing Crosby in the above at @2:30-3:00.

This Obit's been in the bag a while .

But I will miss his Soul.

but like Les Paul recently.
    He was still working, ( as Papa Smurf on the Smurfs. )

Jonathan Winters
    , the comedic film and TV actor who was huge in the '70s and '80s on shows like "Mork and Mindy," has died at age 87 ... TMZ has learned.

Winters died last night of natural causes in Montecito, Calif, around 6:30 p.m., surrounded by friends and family.

Winters' career began when he won a talent contest, which led to radio gigs and appearances at comedy clubs. He was a staple on the late night TV circuit for decades -- he was one of Jack Paar's favorite guests and a Johnny Carson regular -- and recorded several classic comedy albums.

He often performed in character ... the best known of which was Maude Frickert, the seemingly sweet old lady with a quick and acid wit. He also starred in one of the best comedies ever -- "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."

Winters suffered 2 nervous breakdowns in the late '50s and early '60s and was voluntarily institutionalized. He was diagnosed with manic depression. He spoke openly about it and even joked about it in his comedy act.

Winters -- who was Native American -- won the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, which was presented to him at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. in 2000.
    and Brilliant, in spite of his illness.

Gilbert Gottfried (CNN) -- Jonathan Winters was not always in his right mind. I don't mean that only in the showbiz sense, but in the mental health sense. Jonathan, who died Thursday, was a nut as a comic, but also manic depressive and was institutionalized at least once in his life. He was also brilliantly talented. And the combination of his mental troubles and amazing talent made him the legendary performer that he was. He recognized this himself, telling an NPR reporter in 2011, "I need that pain — whatever it is — to call upon it from time to time, no matter how bad it was.

Jonathan Winters, the comedic film and TV actor who was huge in the '70s and '80s on shows like "Mork and Mindy," has died at age 87 ... TMZ has learned.
    :(

Jonathan Winters
    , the comedic film and TV actor who was huge in the '70s and '80s on shows like "Mork and Mindy," has died at age 87 ... TMZ has learned.

Winters died last night of natural causes in Montecito, Calif, around 6:30 p.m., surrounded by friends and family.

Winters' career began when he won a talent contest, which led to radio gigs and appearances at comedy clubs. He was a staple on the late night TV circuit for decades -- he was one of Jack Paar's favorite guests and a Johnny Carson regular -- and recorded several classic comedy albums.

He often performed in character ... the best known of which was Maude Frickert, the seemingly sweet old lady with a quick and acid wit. He also starred in one of the best comedies ever -- "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."

Winters suffered 2 nervous breakdowns in the late '50s and early '60s and was voluntarily institutionalized. He was diagnosed with manic depression. He spoke openly about it and even joked about it in his comedy act.

Winters -- who was Native American -- won the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, which was presented to him at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. in 2000.

Dick Van Dyke ‏@iammrvandy
    The first time I saw Jonathan Winters perform, I thought I might as well quit the business. Because, I could never be as brilliant.

Dick Van Dyke ‏@iammrvandy
    Most comedians can point to someone who influenced them. Jonathan Winters was a complete original!!

Roseanne Barr ‏@TheRealRoseanne
    hail hail a genius has vacated this realm-Jonathan Winters revolutionary comedian-revolutionary mind. RIP

Steve Carell ‏@SteveCarell
    Jonathan Winters was wildly funny.

John Stamos ‏@JohnStamos
    One of my all time fav's RIP Mr. Winters RT @KenHada Before Robin Williams, there was Jonathan Winters

Michael Ian Black ‏@michaelianblack
    Jonathan Winters basically invented alternative comedy. RIP

Patton Oswalt ‏@pattonoswalt
    No him, no me. No MOST of us, comedy-wise, come to think of it. #RIP Jonathan Winters

Chris Hardwick ‏@nerdist
    RIP Jonathan Winters. Sad day for comedy fans. We were lucky to have had him at all.

Adam Shankman ‏@adammshankman
    RIP 1 of the great funny man legends of all time #jonathanwinters. I will always cherish how u made me laugh on set & off. We will miss u!

Rick Mercer ‏@rickmercer
    RIP Jonathan Winters

Kevin Pollak ‏@kevinpollak
    Had a great run. Actual genius. RT @BreakingNews: Jonathan Winters died of natural causes, family friend says

Brent Spiner ‏@BrentSpiner
    RIP Jonathan Winters. One of the real greats. Met him a few years ago. I said, "Hello", he did twenty minutes. A great twenty minutes.

THIS is how you do a RIP Thread.

This man was imbued of PAN!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. LozHinge the Unhinged

Well played, Bob. Truly you are the Magic 8-Bob. :yes:
  9. coju

coju IncGamers Member

What does Danny DeVito have to do with Russians? That's the guy in the first video, yeah.
  10. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

This?
    Just JMeryvn not checking his sources.
    [TABLE="class: cast"]
    [TR="class: odd"]
    [TD="class: nm"]Jonathan Winters[/TD]
    [TD="class: ddd"] ...[/TD]
    [TD="class: char"]Norman Jones[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

The picture before you click to play shows him?
  11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Wait, what? Where did I mention DeVito?