Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

RIP Champagne SuperNover

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Stevinator, Nov 18, 2012. | Replies: 16 | Views: 1259

1. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

I know no one here ever knew her (other than perhaps a random photo or brief mention), but Champagne SuperNover has died. She was a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. She had just passed 186k miles, but a month or so ago. I was going up to pick up DMac at work, and she blew up on the expressway. She, being the trooper that she was, fought her way to her destination, managing to limp into the gas station parking lot next to DMac's work, more than a mile from the spot of her injury. She never gave up. That's the kind of Jeep she was.

My initial diagnosis is a blown valve, which is more work than I can likely handle on my own. If I'm right, I'll have to take everything apart to clean any shrapnel out of the cylinders. All the signs were there. She was running with tick, sipping coolant, and lately, had been making a disconcerting hissing sound. I presume the hissing was oil being squeezed out while under pressure. Over the last few years, we've spent a lot of time replacing things on her. Radiator, brakes, wheel hubs, window regulators, numerous bulbs, and random electrical issues, even had to reroute the cooling system when the heater core went and sprayed anti-freeze all over the passenger compartment. A lot of hours. A lot of miles.

Despite the signs, this is all very sudden for the family. We have not yet set a date for the memorial, but I will reply to this thread as the situation progresses.
  2. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

:hanky: :tombstone:

almost reminds me of Perry Winkle, but I don't think he died... well, he collapsed a few times, but died? No.. I know he was sold to another and I got Cherry, a 99 Pontiac Grand Am. As much of an old one Perry Winkle was (a periwinkle blue 92 or 93 Dodge Spirit) and as much as he kept breaking down, we had good memories.

Cherry, on the other hand, has given me nothing but bad memories and not because she was a *****, but because of all the drama that happened between her and other people . Moral to that story is:

1.) Don't get hit by a 9 pt buck.
    2.) Don't depend on someone who is on drugs try to fix your car. (EDIT: I did not know the person was on drugs at the time, so...)
  3. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Ah, condolences.

I had a Yamaha XJ900F for a few years, from new. He had a few minor scrapes in his time ... and some not so minor ... but he never really missed a bit, my old Igor.

Flipped upside-down in a ditch once, chipped my neck ... the bike's upper surfaces were flattened. A few parts, a fair bit of welding and he was up and running again.

Later, braking from about 100mph, he flipped down hard - two broken hands, two broken ribs, two broken vertebrae and a hole in my knee and elbow. Igor was up and running almost before I was, and still he never missed a beat.

The final straw was a u-turning Vauxhall Astra. That monster finished off my Igor (I received only a Barton's fracture of the wrist and a big ol' payout) and my brave XJ900 was no more. Fifty-eight thousand miles young, aged eight years old.

*sniff*
  4. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

5. Leopold Stotch

for mind-digesting an atrocity to fiction? absolutely!! :wine: :wine:

Loz, sorry to hear about Igor. As bad as your injuries were, they are so gnarly at the same time! Glad you are alive! ^_^ :heartbeat:
  6. LozHinge the Unhinged

I didn't survive, alas. My after-life is a kind of Jacob's Ladder. :yes:
  7. Leopold Stotch

I never saw that movie. :no:
  8. LozHinge the Unhinged

Come stay with me for a few weeks, Ms Leo. You won't need to watch the movie then :nod:
  9. Stevinator

I'm glad perry winkle could live again. Champagne Super Nover needs work that even if I do it myself probably outweighs her value. I might do it anyway, but I'll need to pull together some cash. I don't own an engine hoist, and if my diagnosis is correct, I'll have to take the whole thing apart to make sure there's no shrapnel in the cylinders.

When i said she blew up, I wasn't joking, she made this terrible pop, then her brisk jogging turned to painful lurching. It was like she had been shot. Smoke poured out from under the hood. I couldn't seem to get her to rev any higher than she was going when she blew. I wanted to stop and pull over, but Knickers (Dmac's GF), who had had too much wine while making dinner, grabbed my shoulder and said, "our exit is right there, we must go on. I know we can make it." I pulled into the slow lane, I told Champagne that everything was going to be okay, she just needed to get us to the gas station by Dmac's work. As we swung around the exit ramp, you could tell she was struggling. I said, "there's no way we will make it. we'll have to pull over." Knickers said, "we can't anyway, there's no good place, just keep going." We rolled through the first two lights, I switched on the hazards. The next light turned red and as we came to a stop, I heard a noise that will haunt me forever.

Champagne, clearly in agony, started to buck and smoke, and the entire cabin was shaking. I nearly lost the wheel. The smoke was a dark white--burning oil! I knew we didn't have long, but the turn seemed so far away. The first wave of horrific realization fell upon me. My breathing became heavy. The light changed. She stumbled into the turn lane in the median. we couldn't stop to see if anyone was coming. she dragged herself across, and collapsed in an angle parking spot. I turned her off and fell back into the driver's chair. defeated, momentarily accomplished, but as the relief from our pyrrhic victory subsided, we felt the cold of the air, and the dread of being stuck so far from home. Dinner was waiting for us. We wondered if we'd ever see that dinner again.

******Chapter two*********

Cold. Desperation. Lugubriosity. I closed my eyes, but when I opened them, it was still real. I pawed at my pockets searching for my phone. But who would I call?

Sorry I won't have time to finish the story for a while, but I thought I'd get it out there.
  10. Stevinator

That explains a lot. :)
  11. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

that blows steve...i probably wouldn't bother cracking the engine.

keep checking out craigslist for a 99-04 pulled engine...you might get lucky and find a good low mileage powerplant from a wreck.

a weekends work and a couple cases of beer and you'd be back on the road.

you can rent a hoist dirt cheap....if i was a couple hours east, i'd help out.
  12. Stevinator

I checked today, and i cannot use the engine from my bro's 98 cherokee classic because the mounts aren't in the right place. Grr! that would've saved me about $1000.

lol, I have a friend who wants to sell me a minivan. <sigh> Driving a minivan when you don't have kids is a lot like giving up.

It does have a lot of space for my various random projects though.....
  13. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

smeg drives a minivan.

still want one now?

yeah, the 98 won't fit...i think you'll need to look at 99-04.(not 100% sure though because i'm a ford guy)
  14. Leopold Stotch

you can fit a mini sexy party in your minivan! always look for the silver lining! :wink:
  15. stillman

stillman IncGamers Member

I have dark fantasies about cars dying.

16. Stevinator

Well, I could get one of these.
    [​IMG]
    or one with a stereo
    [​IMG]
    or maybe something more practical, like good gas mileage but handles well off road
    [​IMG]

It's hard to decide.
  17. Leopold Stotch

Nice choices!

Stillman, you don't know fun when you see it! hahaha!