Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

returned to D2, what should i make first?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by musicmuse, Feb 29, 2012. | Replies: 23 | Views: 1653

1. musicmuse

musicmuse IncGamers Member

returned to D2, what should i make first?

I just came back to D2 after some years (getting excited about d3 pushed me back into d2). I am not up to date with any of the old builds generally used anymore, could anyone suggest a fun build to make first?

I considered a sorc to MF with, but I read about how many issues sorcs have with hell level resist monsters, and this discouraged me a bit.

I also considered a hammerdin but I also hear everyone has one and I am not *entirely* opposed to being like everyone else, but if there is a better option Id love to hear it.

I do not plan on dueling at all, and focus mainly on running bosses and general PVM with friends. Any and all suggestions will be considered, and I would appreciate an explanation as to why I would want to pick X class/build first. Thankyou so much!

2. musicmuse

Re: returned to D2, what should i make first?

I read that fanat-zeal paladins were good for running ubers and hell bosses, but how does a zealadin match up for the rest of the game?

3. Fluffyknowsyou

Fluffyknowsyou IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if you're starting with absolutely nothing,but making a paladin with nothing will be a disapointment. But there are ways of making it on charity and following bots, so yeah the zealot is a strong build for any part of the game when properly equipped.

As a sorceress, your primary goal would be to kill hell bosses and skip as many as the minions as you can to maximize profits. Although it is up to you,but this is all I have to say on the subject.

4. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

Despite the problems with sorcs and elemental resistances, I still make a sorc. Blizzard/Nova is probably your best bet. It can deal with almost all resistance problems in the game, and it scales really well with cheaper gear (tal's) all the way to fantastic gear. You don't get gear to start either, but a few items like the tal pieces will go a long way.

An alternative is nova/orb. It plays very much like Blizzard/Nova, but you use orb instead of blizzard. It's about the same level of efficiency.

You can also make pure blizzard too, but only if you have someone to help with the content that you can't deal with that is necessary for progression. Pure blizzard will be very good farming some areas for gear because you're dedication all of your points to 1 skill, and it's going to do a rediculous 5-digit amount of damage. With a blizzard sorc, you don't even need any gear to make it work.

If all of this is too confusing, just make blizzard/nova. You won't be displeased at all. It works.

5. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

yep, make a hammerdin. dont listen to people who tell you you have to have enigma to make one, you can do just fine untwinked and walking.

6. Blacknec

Blacknec IncGamers Member

Summon necro is always my first char when ladder resets. Easy to level and use to farm gear for other classes I play.

7. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I would agree that this is a good character to start with too. My only personal issue with it is that it's slow, and once you get good items, you're almost certainly going to re-level a brand new sorc, hammerdin or wind druid to replace the necromancer. I used to do this many, many years ago, but it's pretty inefficient. So I just start with a blizzard/nova sorc right away. If there's any pain to get through, it's most certainly more bearable timewise than releveling a whole new character.

8. battbot

battbot IncGamers Member

I re-started d2 like you recently. I had no equipment, and no friends that still played d2. First thing I did was making a MF sorc. Read a bunch of posts and decided on a Blizzard sorc since it's supposedly low demand on equipment. Let me tell you, she was doing fine until I got to hell, then became completely useless due to all the ice immunes. I went back to research, ppl say lightning sorc is good, but without the runes to make a Infinity merc to break the Light Immunes, I still couldn't get anywhere. Tried dual-element with Ice-Orb and Chain-Lightning, but without a bunch of +skill equipment: Had no SOJs, no Sorc Torch, no Anni. It was fail there as well since the Chain-Lightning just didn't do enough damage without a full sync or +skills.
    Then I tried Hammerdin, and that's what I suggest u go with. With very low equipment: had some unique sceptor +2 pally skills, viperskin armour, a low maras, halequin shako, herald of zakarum, magefist. I was able to solo hell very easily. I wasn't doing crazy 14K+damage like the higher hammerdins, but i was still doing 9-10k dmg, which is plenty for soloing. Most of my equipment I got for free, the Herald of Zakarum i got for a Mal rune. The Maras a Um rune, the shako for a Lem. Trading mostly revolve around runes now, so MF isn't really useful. 1 Ber or 1 Jah rune can trade for whole sets of unique/set equipment easily.

In fact, pm me and I can give you some starter equipment for free. Now I have mules full of Shako and Tal sets that I have no real use for.

9. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

"viperskin armour, a low maras, halequin shako, herald of zakarum, magefist."

If you had this stuff, you could have went with blizzard/nova and did fine :) This was the one build you didn't try ;)

10. AmbrosiusAurer

AmbrosiusAurer IncGamers Member

Just an FYI, I just got back in a few weeks ago- maybe play 2-3 hours every couple of nights- I went sorc for my main char- Tried meteorb, was great to Hell, once hit hell though, it became a pain. I started with no equip, was lucky enough to get a free Arachs, but everything else i Mfed with this sorc- now rocking, occy, p'top shako, war travs, chance guards, Found my first Soj and BK(never found one of either in my first 7 years of playing), 35FCR spirit, and tals ammy.
    I switched to Lightning only sorc and works great, you definitely need to get an insight merc at first, I would eventually aim to get infinity later(i still can't afford). The lightning sorc gives me no issues- can't run Chaos or Baal due to light immunes, But I run pits, countess, meph, shenk and pindle, and can complete runs in less than 5-8 minutes. Am lvl 91 now and i really have no complaints....now just a little bored so making a zeal/smiter. But sorcys are definitely viable to start with again- just no Blaze/inferno sorcy...

Sorcy skills- max skills in this order- 20CB, 20lightning, 20 mastery, 20 CL, then rest in nova(for synergy-if sticking to lite only)- 1 in warmth, 1 in cold armor.

11. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I wouldn't go pure lightning over a nova/blizzard if you don't have infinity. Infinity is what makes pure lightning powerful enough to run with, and enables a number of runs that you otherwise couldn't do. With infinity, lightning sorc is fine, but I don't think that's the best build to go with if you don't have infinity.

12. diabloplayer45

diabloplayer45 Banned

I'd recommend a Hdin. They are easy and fun to play. Then you can always expand by making an MF sorc, goldfind barb, keyrunner and uber-killer.

13. musicmuse

I understand that hammerdin and zealots are very powerful with good gear, but what about the amazon with good gear? Is it just as good? Not for farming, I understand that its probably not as efficient, but for pure PvM purposes is the amazon focusing on bow skills just as powerful as a hammerdin with equal gear.

14. diabloplayer45

diabloplayer45 Banned

Depends. For MFing and general purposes, the Hdin is better. For cowruns, the amazon is probably best.

15. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I don't see the point to making a hammerdin if you have no good items. A sorc is much easier to start with if you have nothing. That's just my opinion.

16. musicmuse

Is hammerdin generally considered best with good gear?

Lets assume I had equal gear for any class, amazon, paladin, assassin etc.

I guess I should clarify my questions a bit. Im not worried about gear, I can get gear. Im looking for advice as to whats the most diverse and powerful class today in Diablo 2, given that they have the gear.

I guess Im kind of looking for a reason NOT to play a paladin like everyone else but still be able to deal with ubers and hell content.

17. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

Oh, in that case, let me backpedal on the sorc then about starting with that if gear isn't going to be an issue.

For ubers, it is true that a smiter is going to be the best build to deal with that. It's not the only one, but to be honest, I don't think any build is going to come close to him.

Some people do ubers with frenzy barb. I've personally never done it with frenzy, so I can't comment. I suppose it's possible to do with a kicker or wearwolf druid in theory too. As long as you have very high stacked resists, elemental absorbs, lifetap, and lots of crushing bow, you should be able to do it. Grief or Lastwish helps.

The reason smiter is so awesome is because you can also equip Exile, use holy shield, use salvation... and let's not forget Smite. These 4 things are going to make him better than everyone else.

As for hell content, your options open up. There are tons of viable builds, and many truly awesome ones.

I love wind druids personally. While they may not teleport the fastest and they have weird fcr breakpoints, you can do everything with them - duel, mf, whatever (except for ubers). They also have very, very low risk of actually dying because their health pools usually exceed 5k once you got good gear, and you can expect a lot more than that once you stack elemental lifer grand charms.

Lightning sorcs, blizzard/nova, etc. are all viable sorc builds that do fantastic. You can mf and clear every area in the game with these with ease - except dolls in baal's throne room will give you trouble.

200fcr lightning sorc is just ridiculous. You can't mf with them because you can't MF with 200fcr gear - but they are so ridiculously powerful.

Trap assassins are also very strong. I would say to do it properly though, you need 2 expensive claws, a good circlet and a 15% fcr craft amulet... so this is a much bigger investment. Still, you can also go more cookie-cutter like a hammerdin and use her for mfing and it will be fine too. She can be a very flexible character if you have a lot of gear to swap around between mfing, dueling, etc. I think a wind druid is a bit better for this dual-role though because most of the gear ends up staying the same... whereas it will drastically change in the case of the trapper.

There are many other builds that are also viable beyond this, but I don't think they are AAA builds. Whirlwind barbs with dual phase blades are really strong. Frostmaidens are really strong. Several other builds are really strong too, but none of them will match the power as the ones above 100%.

Of course, if you define niches, there are builds that are going to do them much better than the generalist builds.

Ask more specific questions and I can be more helpful... because after I typed all of this, I'm not sure how helpful I was.

18. musicmuse

Its looking more like Ill be making a paladin, I was wondering if having a hammerdin with 1p in Smite would be viable for ubers?

19. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I think you can get away with it, yes, provided you have alternative gear for life tap, crushing blow, etc. Like, your skillpoints will be hammerdin, but you will need alternative gear to completely switch to a smiter. The smiter isn't good because of the skill points - it's good because of the gear, and how the skills make the gear better.

If this is what you want to do, you can probably get away with spirit sacred targe. At least you won't have to swap the shield in that case.

20. musicmuse

So Im assuming fanat-zeal gear would be more ideal because of crushing blow and things like that right?

Moreso than hammerdin gear