Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Resistances Question

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by eisendwat, Feb 26, 2013. | Replies: 7 | Views: 2256

1. eisendwat

eisendwat IncGamers Member

Hypothetical Scenario:

I have -100 to enemy cold resistance.
    My enemy has 75 cold resistance (CAPPED) and has equipped an item with 25 cold resist.

What is my enemies actual resistance?

I am guessing it's -25 cold resistance but I'm not sure. It seems like it could even out at 0 cold resist too.

Does anyone know how the calculations work?
  2. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Are you asking if resists stack or not?

If so, yes, they do and your enemy will be at 0 CR. Although 75 is the max EFFECTIVE elemental resist (unless you have +to max resist), the total is unaffected. You cannot have lower than -100 resist, but I don't believe there is a limit to how high you can stack.

+Add up all resist bonuses from items, skills, auras, Anya scrolls...
    -Subtract all penalties (difficulty penalty for nightmare/hell, auras, abilities, etc)
    =75(or whatever the max is) or the result, whichever is lower.
  3. tbiro

tbiro IncGamers Member

I have a question, I hope somebody can answer it for me! (sry for my bad english)

I wanna build a javazon, and I want to know, how does the merc's enemy resistance reduce count to my attack? So if my merc has a perfect infinity, with -55% res for enemies, with the aura, which gives another -85%, that's -140% in total. This resistance reducing works when I attack the enemy as well? Or it's just on, when the merc attack the monster with his Jab? Please if you know,how does it count, let me know! Thanks in advance guys!
  4. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

-res on merc gear wont affect you. Only the auras -85% will work.

But if the enemy is immune, the aura provides only -13% res..
  5. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Yes.

Actually, it's -17%
  6. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Oh, yeah... Miscalc.
  7. tbiro

tbiro IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answer guys, if you have time, here's another one! With that -17% which the immune monster will get from the aura, will my javazon can damage the monster effectively ? Or I should use items, which are reducing enemy resistance, to made myself effective ? And how far should I go ? A -20 griffon with rainbow + a 4 sox monarch all with rainbow will give -45 res for the enemies i can raise it with thunderstroke + rainbow up to -65 in total. Is it worth to use these items, or the merc's aura is enough and i can use andariel for IAS, stormshield for Dmg reduce and magic javelin with IAS and skill bonuses?

Thanks in advance guys, you helped me a lot with your last answer by the way!
  8. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I think you have the right idea, at least mostly. Once the Conviction aura brings the monster's resistance below 100%, your equipment that reduces enemy lightning resistance will operate normally. Griffon's Eye is popular for lightning-based characters. Thunderstroke is nice too. Filling a shield with Facets is probably taking things a bit too far, though. While it certainly would still increase your damage, you'd have a shield that wouldn't be good for much else. Also, wow, that's a lot of -5% Facets. Impressive, but I'd still probably want the Stormshield over it (and you could still socket it with a single Facet).