Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Relatively new to Assassin class - advice pls

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Xehros, Feb 16, 2012. | Replies: 3 | Views: 1731

1. Xehros

Xehros IncGamers Member

Relatively new to Assassin class - advice pls

So I played D2 years ago and pretty much had all high end classes cept a Sin and a Droo. I just recently got back into D2 and thought it was time to make a sin. Due to not having much experience with them (mostly forgot) I thought I'd ask for some expertise here.

I understand there are sin guides but there seem to be so many and quite convoluted and really doesn't help with narrowing down choices and not sure which are out of date. I already have a zon and sorc so am looking for a melee sin build.

I am looking for a non trap build that has absolutely the best killing power in PvM. What type of sin would that be?

Also pls suggest best possible gear as expense should not be an issue.

Cheers in advance.

2. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

Re: Relatively new to Assassin class - advice pls

No traps period? Or just not pure trap? Because no build can be described as even remotely close to "the best killing power in PvM" without death sentry, period. It is like a necromancer without corpse explosion. It is possible, but it is nowhere close to optimal.

Now, if you're willing to hybridize into traps (at least enough to get death sentry), there's lots of builds that can work well in PvM. My personal favorite is Kick/Trap, but you can also do phoenix strike, or tiger strike + dragon tail, or dragon claw + venom, or whatever, there's tons of options.

If you're absolutely set on not using any traps, there are builds that work with it (in fact phoenix strike and TS/DT are both builds that can be done effectively without traps, among others), but the power of death sentry is pretty hard to argue with if your goal is "best killing power in PvM."

3. Kunivek

Kunivek IncGamers Member

I'm starting HC single player over again untwinked (because my stash got corrupted and I was an idiot and had no backups... no worries though I only had about 1 hr in wealth since starting over in HC only). I decided I wanted to start with a new build besides the standard Blizz sorc or Fishymancer that I've played 100 times to build wealth, so I decided to try an assassin. I've made a few pure-trapsins before but never a Hybrid or a pure MA assassin, and certainly never starting with one in HC untwinked.

Following Magicrectangle's guide and a few other guide's for Riftsin's I've started a kick/trap assassin and so far it has been a little tedious, but interesting. One thing I never realized was that Dtalon was a single target attack only - I always assumed it was like Zeal and would just transfer to another nearby enemy if you killed something in like 2 out of 4 kicks. Show's you how little I've dabbled in assassins lol... I can kill everything with a Dtalon or two but without mana leach its just a constant chug of mana potions. Things smoothed out significantly once I got Lightning Sentry and a decent amount of +mana on gear. Death sentry just makes things a breeze, and as Magicrectangle said, it is the assassin's best pvm attack by far.

Overall, at lvl 40 now I can say that untwinked, it feels a little worse than a pure-trapsin but it's a lot more fun because it is much more interactive. Hotkeys are your best friends, whether it be mind blasting a champion real quick, spamming DS, COS around a scary pack of archers, BOS to dash away, etc... If you think you can build up the wealth for a Rift runeword or a Stormlash (significantly harder in single player obviously) then I would say for sure go with a kick/trap hybrid. Otherwise a pure-trapsin I think is better overall in PVM based on my initial experience. Obviously I can report back when I get further in the game and update you if you'd like.

Cheers.

4. magicrectangle

magicrectangle IncGamers Member

A Gul rune can be pretty reliably obtained in single player, so Rift shouldn't be too hard to make. Stormlash obviously is much more luck of the draw, as you say.

Completely untwinked I'd tend to agree that a pure trapper is more forgiving than kick/trap. After all, you don't have to stand in melee with enemies. If he hadn't specifically said he didn't want to be a trapper, that's what I would have recommended as a first assassin. IMHO it is the most forgiving, it is powerful with trash gear, and it is relatively easy to play. I've started a few ladders fresh with a trapsin as my first toon, it isn't quite as strong as a fishymancer untwinked, but it isn't too far off either.