Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] Regarding Diablo 2 and my GPU

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by samosiv, Jan 24, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 2734

1. samosiv

samosiv IncGamers Member

I recently bought myself a gaming laptop as an upgrade to my old desktop and every game (such as WoW) runs fine with my graphics card playing them all perfectly at high settings
    I installed Diablo 2 on this new laptop and saw that it was extremeley laggy with horrible frame-rate This was due to the game using the integrated graphics rather than the dedicated graphics card. Using the Nvidia control panel it did not allow me to set my GPU to run Diablo 2 and has grayed out the option to select what graphics I can run it with. In the grayed out box it shows that it runs it with my integrated graphics. This makes the game unplayable as without importing my previous data and testing out a new character even walking around Tistram gives a unplayable frame-rate. I am running this on windows 8 but this should not be the problem as it runs the game as it should the only problem being the GPU itself. I have also used the in-game patch and also run it as admin and also running it with right click selecting the Nvidia GPU. However upon the game playing it runs it with the integrated graphics. I have also updated all the GPU drivers in the device manager just incase that was needed. This laptop was already updated with the latest drivers.

My GPU is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

I have also provided a screenshot of my NVIDIA control panel regarding Diablo 2 :

View attachment 4047
    Help would be very much appreciated.
  2. Solar Ice

Solar Ice IncGamers Member

Windows 7 on some machines results in massive lag with D2. If you are able to, I suggest trying D2 on Win XP.

Have you tried Sven's Glidewrapper? I have found that it helped tremendously regarding framerate on Win7. Someone will need to confirm that it is safe to use on Bnet though. I have read that it is but don't quote me on that.

Here is a link to the thread in the Single Player Forum.

Here is the Wrapper

Hope this helps.
  3. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones IncGamers Member

It's safe to use in Bnet, I've used it for years and years, and never heard anyone getting banned for it.
  4. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I have used it on closed battle.net as well without being banned, on mutliple CD keys as well as accounts.
  5. samosiv

samosiv IncGamers Member

I am able to play the game but not able to run it with my GPU and instead with the intergrated graphics. How am I able to run it with my NVIDIA GPU?
  6. Goryani

Goryani IncGamers Member

Try the -3dfx option. If that doesn't work, use software rendering. D2 was made before 3D graphics were mainstream. It's 3d graphics engine was only designed for 3dfx voodoo video cards (circa 1990s).
  7. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

I remember when I brought home my Diablo 2 collector's edition, I was running a VooDoo 5 which was brand new at the time, so yeah... any kind of modern integrated gpu should be capable of running it fine, even the intel HD1000, and I suspect if your laptop has an nVidia mobile 635, you have Intel HD2000 at worst, and probably you have HD3000, which should run laps around D2. The problem is almost certainly not GPU related.

I'll do some research and see if I can find a way for you to force it to use your discrete GPU anyway just as a way to troubleshoot if nothing else.