Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Recently started playing again, have a few questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by koticgood, Jan 10, 2013. | Replies: 12 | Views: 7125

1. koticgood

koticgood IncGamers Member

1) I quit around the end of July, and dual wielding worked by alternating weapons. I see they changed it so most skills that use weapon damage only use your main-hand, so does off-hand dps even matter, or is it just a stat holder and attack speed increase? Also, I notice that regardless of the order of which I equip, and whether I equip in the left or right weapon slot, my monk always holds my echoing fury in right hand (lower dps) and fist weapon (higher dps) in left hand. Is this just a graphical thing, or is echoing fury main hand by default for some reason?
    2) When the character sheet says that dexterity increases my damage by 1% per point, what does that even mean? Surely I can't take it literally. If that were the case, 1% crit chance at 100% crit damage would be equal to 1 point of dex, which, intuitively, cannot be true. The 1% crit is worth much more than that. What am I missing here?
    edit: wow it's like asking why 20*5*11 is different than 20*6*10, I'm so dumb ...
    3) Is there a list of max attributes per slot somewhere? edit nvm found http://www.d3rmt.com/guides/diablo-3-item-stat-maximum-values/
    4) For a poor, slow farmer like me, what rares are worth picking up? Rings and Amulets seem to get picked up by everyone, is that all that's really worth grabbing?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  2. Snakefinger

Snakefinger IncGamers Member

For pickups, I'll occasionally do full A3 runs where I pick up every yellow. I keep an empty stash so that when my inventory is full, I TP back to town, drop off unID rares in my stash and rejoin my party asap. It allows for maximum drops on a run. Sure, I spend a lot of time IDing rares at the end of a run, but I'll clear 350-400k per run if I do it this way
  3. windstriker

windstriker IncGamers Member

1) It is only some of the skills that only use the mainhand dmg, most still use both of them as far as I know at least. SW and such should still be affected by both weapons dmg. And I believe that Echoing Fury in the mainland on the grafix is just a graphical thing.

2) You do indeed miss something. Let's say you have a weapon with 100 DPS and a total of 1900 dex. Then you dmg will equal 100 + 1900% = 2000 DPS. This will be your base DPS. Then you add other stuff by multiplying values. So, if you have 1% CC and 100% crit dmg you total dmg will be 2000 * 1.01 = 2020. Extra attack speed and other extra dmg is also added by multiplication, which means that the more base dmg you have the more you will gain from extra stats. That is why 2% crit for a guy who already have really good gear with high attack speed, high dex and 50% crit chance or more can be a REALLY big deal. It all increases exponentially :)
    Hope I managed to explain that so you understood!

3)-------

4) The affixes on rares are nowadays decided by monster lvl and not ilvl. As all mobs in inferno on MP 1 or higher (or MP0 in act 3) are the highest possible lvl, 63, they can all drop perfect stuff. The only thing decided still by ilvl is armor value on armor and base dmg on weapons. So, as you probably do not have that good gear, pretty much anything should have the possibility of being an upgrade. But I'd go for ivl 61 or higher probably on armor and 62 or higher on weapons.
    Myself, I only pick up ilvl 63 items except for rings and amus. As they do not have any base armor or base dog, any ilvl can drop with perfect stats.

Welcome back!
  4. koticgood

koticgood IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info! Had no idea about the item level change. Does that mean ilvl 61 items can roll the max amount of affixes? Also, the reason I asked about picking up rares is that it seems like most slots are very commonly filled by legendaries, and it would take an almost perfect roll to be better. Like shoulders, helm, chest, belt, and legs, it seems nearly impossible to find a worthwhile rare. Rings and amulets seem much easier, and gloves/bracers to a lesser extent. I don't think I've sold anything but rings and amulets since I started back up, and it gets to the point where I don't even bother looking at the other stuff and just ID then vendor them.
  5. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Not worth picking up these rares:

Shoulders (Vile ward beats any rare)
    Leggings (Inna beats any rare)
    Belt (Witching hour beats any rare)

Might be more i forgot about.
  6. Cpdoom

Cpdoom IncGamers Member

Boots and helmet as well. Chest can be discussed I reckon.
  7. imthedan

imthedan IncGamers Member

Rather than start a new thread, I decided I'd just post my questions in here because I am in the same boat.

I stopped playing around July as well and I was wondering if anything ground breaking has changed? I quit around the time when the whirlwind-nado barb was really popular. Are there any other 'cookie-cutter' builds that have emerged since then that may be more fun to play?

Did that add/revamp the items? I felt this was the biggest problem with the game. I remember reading about some updated legendary items, but I was wondering if they took it a step further and added more or buffed them even more? The last update I saw was a sword that had a chance to spawn a demon or something.

Thanks!
  8. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Tempest Monks are great, and multi DH are super fast. Wiz are still Archon and CM, though CM seems to be more a tank farmer than quick runner.

Oh, and Locust WD are very fast.
  9. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

Unless you're rich I wouldn't follow this advice.

Wouldn't bother picking up Wiz/DH/WD offhands + 2-handers or shields though.
  10. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Honestly, pick up any belts or leggings or shoulders anyways. Good mainstat + vita + allres + gravymod rares still sell for a couple hundred thousand or mil or two. That and some people build chars with survivability so inna's does not REALLY beat any rare.

I personally just pick up EVERYTHING, even 2handers, just because it's 1 more inferno essence :)
  11. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

I completely forgot wizard and witch doctor offhands and two handers.

Oculus/Chantodo/Triumvirate/Tal rasha beat any rare source.
    Thing of the deep/Uhkapian beat any rare mojo.
    Skorn beats any rare two hander.

It's sad that it's basically impossible to find a rare source worth something. It has to compete with all four of the above mentioned sources. :(
  12. Adeyj

Adeyj IncGamers Member

I pick up all rares, gems & tomes.... An inventory full of rares is about 50k, 3 or so of those per run adds up nicely.
    Id,ing them takes time but stops me going crosseyed too.
  13. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

If speedily gaining Exp or something is the goal, it's best to skip rares. The level 63 in a few slots are still worth it, but ultimately you're faster if just focusing on Legendary / Set.