Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Recently returned player looking for advice please

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Slevinn, Apr 19, 2013. | Replies: 14 | Views: 4693

1. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Hey folks,

So I, like most, played D3 when it first came out, then stopped for several months.. I recently came back, and I'm just trying to see if I can get a little of advice with my barb.

I'm mostly a WW barb. My damage is pretty decent, I feel like I do adequate damage considering everything.

My problem right now is I feel like I'm taking more damage than I should.

If anyone has some free time and would mind taking a look and suggesting anything, I would appreciate it.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Slevinn-1107/hero/855138

I don't really use the AH. I found Skorn myself, the set items I have were given to me.. But I really don't use the AH much to buy stuff, and don't have millions or billions of gold like some do.. So telling me to go to the AH and spending 50m isn't really an option.

What I'm more looking for is what stats should I focus on to help me survive better? Just plain armor? Is my life too low? Things like that.

Thanks in advace!

2. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

It's hard for me to tell without doing math (ugh, my head) what your total resists are, but they look decent. However, you don't have high enough damage really for Life Steal to be a better option for you than Life on Hit. I might suggest trying to go dual wield instead of Skorn and getting a weapon that has decent Life on Hit until your damage is closer to 80-100K. Then that Life Steal on the IK belt will help you out much more. Your life pool in general is SUPER LOW. You should work on upgrading your Vit gems and maybe going with one in your helm rather than the experience gem if you find you're having trouble staying alive. You kind of want a 10 to 1 ratio with Armor to Resistance, so if you have 500 AR, you should aim for 5000 Armor, etc. There are no hard and fast rules, but you can usually add more of one if the other is super high and gain more effectiveness that way.

Hope some of this helps. I can get more specific if you give me more specifics. Good luck. Ask questions!

3. mortuus

mortuus Diablo: IncGamers Member

u need alot more str... at least 2500 or so.. i feel i could use alot more for higher mp but.. try use gear that gives u some AS also since skorn is super slow u gain alot by having that if using WW skills. u should aim to get at least 150k damage unbuffed to get anywhere.

4. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it.

@Katniss I will definitely try to buff up my vitality gems. It's going to take some time since I don't really use the AH much but I will definitely work on it. I'll also keep an eye out for good 1h weapons to dual wield.. It just seems like dual wielding is less damage from what I've seen, but maybe I'm wrong?

In regards to more specifics, what do you need?

@Mortuus I do use WW a lot. I would love 150k unbuffed damage.. I just have to find the gear to accomodate that first :) I'll try focusing on strength a little bit more as well, though I have been trying to focus on that as I play.

5. mojolevel

mojolevel IncGamers Member

Agree with the points Katniss made about vitality and life steal vs. LoH. In my experience LS didn't become more efficient than LoH until I got close to 100k unbuffed damage. Until then you're pants are a good start, but I'd guess you probably need closer to double the amount of LoH you have at the moment in order to feel fairly safe with your current resistance level.

I'd focus on a couple of easier (albeit time consuming) upgrades. You definitely need more vitality...approximately double what you have now. But I think rather than upgrading all of those amethyst in each slot you should focus your efforts, possibly by putting one in your helm for the % life bonus like Katniss mentioned, and then maybe a higher level amethyst in your pants slot. You really should reserve the IK armor slots for rubies. You'll find that once you get decent rubies in there you're going to get a lot more strength which means more damage output AND more armor. The actual armor stats on your gear aren't that bad, so I think you'll get your best gains by focusing on increasing strength which will boost your damage substantially as well.

Ideally you should look for a relatively high DPS mainhand weapon with a socket and crit damage as an inherent stat, preferably an axe/mace for the bonus crit chance (you'd have to put weapon mastery on as one of your passives, I'd replace brawler). You'll have to make a judgement call based on when you make the weapon upgrade if you want to try and find one to use with Life on Hit or LS. Before I got my barb to the point where I could rely on LS I got the bulk of my LoH from one of my two weapons, a sword with over 700 LoH. Something like that could free up a lot of stat real estate on some of your other slots (like the pants, which aren't otherwise giving you much benefit).

With the right combination of stats, you'll find that dual-wielding is more effective than using a 2hander. You're probably seeing a drop in DPS comparing the skorn to dual wielding because you're comparing the skorn to suboptimal 1handers. You do get a good bit of strength and crit damage off of the skorn, so to offset that loss you'll need to make up strength and/or critical damage via your new weapons, or in combination with some new gear in other slots.

Hope that helps; I tried defining things as loosely as possible, since it's hard to create definitive criteria if you are playing self-found.

6. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Thanks so much for the post, mojolevel. I really appreciate it and that helped a lot as well. I'm going to start keeping an eye out for some decent 1 handers.. i wouldn't mind dual wielding.. I actually really like the look of dual wielding.. It just seemed pointless in D3 since it doesn't factor in the damage and only increases IAS and stats.. but I guess if you get good enough stats, it could be much better than 2h. I'm mainly using Skorn because I found it. If I had found a good 1h I would be using that and a board or dual wielding.. but I'll try to find some 1handers that I can dual wield. i'll also try to up my vitality and LoH.

should I switch my bloodthirst passive out for something else then if LS isn't going to benefit me as much right now?

7. mojolevel

No problem! The IAS/stats you can gain from dual wielding are worthwhile and will up your damage given the right weapons as you said. As far as the bloodthirst passive is concerned, it's hard to say. It's not that LS doesn't do you any good, but given a certain stat budget (i.e. you can only reasonably expect to have so much of LS+LOH total), you're better off right now tending toward prioritizing LoH over LS. I think you should consider getting Weapon Mastery on your passive roster in some form or another. Maybe you should consider trying Weapon Mastery in place of brawler. You'll get a 10% IAS boost if you keep using your Skorn which is needed given the slow attack speed on it, and it's an 'always on' damage booster rather than brawler which is conditional.

If you're interested, feel free to add me (Mojo#1577); I find a lot of 1-handers when I'm farming that are not quite good enough to bother trying to sell on the AH, but that might offer you a nice upgrade, or at the very least give you an opportunity to test some things out. I'm happy to give them to you, otherwise it's just one more irridescent tear/essence for me.

Edit: I forgot to mention, if you take some of these steps now, you'll probably find yourself nearing a range of damage where LS starts to have a higher payoff, which is why I was thinking that perhaps instead of getting rid of it (since you're still working on survivability issues), you might want to look at ways to up your damage in order to get a bigger benefit out of it.

8. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

That all makes sense. I will swap out Weapon Mastery for Brawler. I'll also add you in case maybe I have any questions I can bounce ideas off you if you don't mind? I'll try not to bug you too much, promise! haha.

I didn't get a chance to play my barb last night so I'll probably work on all of these suggestions tonight. Thanks guys!

9. mojolevel

Doesn't bother me if you ask me questions. Depending on what you're up to we can even plan to do some runs together at some point if you want :) I've got few very active people on my friends list at this point, so I'm always looking for new faces that I can reasonably expect to see around from time to time!

10. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Sounds good to me man! I've already gotcha added so maybe we can do some runs tonight.

11. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

I also second everything Mojo has said. I know him to be a knowledgeable player and some of his suggestions are things I hadn't considered/remembered (I don't know if I missed somewhere that you're self-found, but that makes a lot of Mojo's suggestions very powerful/useful given that circumstance).

12. mojolevel

I AM pretty smart! :p

13. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Slevinn-1107/hero/855138

So I know I haven't changed a whole lot, but how am I looking now? I've *almost* doubled my vit.. increased strength a bit.. went dual wield..

My problem is that the blackthornes gives me almost 300 vit / 10k hp with the stats, the gem, and the set bonus.. So I've having a hard time finding anything that will be an improvement on that so I can up those.. Do I just eat the HP and take the loss?

14. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

I think you're looking pretty good, man!

I would say at some point you should look into going with IK Boots instead (when you find them of course). You can move that Vit bonus from the Blackthorne's set to other pieces. It looks like you don't have any of the crafted armor slots yet, so I would say you should definitely try to craft new Bracers. You can get a lot of DPS there and you only need to roll Vit, All Res, and Crit for them to be good, so that should happen for you in a relatively small amount of crafts unless you're super unlucky.

Then you might want to try to craft some Vit Shoulders and that's where you'll gain a ton of Vit and still can come up with quite a bit of Strength. Because it's Vit as the main stat though, those tend to take a longer time to pull through all the stats you'll be looking for. I'm personally still trying to improve my own, but I hardly craft them these days.

Assuming you get some Vit on your Bracers and some Vit on your Shoulders, then you can go IK Boots and benefit from the full set bonus although it's not super useful really. You'll really just be happy to have the All Res the boots provide. It's a little harder to craft really good gloves, but you might try those after you get good shoulders and bracers and that way you can carry four pieces of the set again if you don't find the full set bonus beneficial to you.

How are you liking the changes thus far?

You've got really good LoH and LPS now!

15. mojolevel

It looks like you've made some really positive changes!

I would follow Katniss' advice on trying to move some vitality to a couple of other slots and like he pointed out, you can do it pretty easily through crafting. I would prioritize this if you can, because quickly you'll find that your blackthorne's pieces are your weakest slots (if they aren't already). Once you get away from your reliance on the Blackthorne's gear you can keep an eye out for 2-socket pants with high vitality and all resistances (I may even have a spare pair that I can give you, just remind me next time we're both online :) ) The ones I use against MP10 Ubers are like this: 60 str/200 vit/2 sockets/75 all resistances. It would also free you up to use something like Depth Diggers if you have a pair for farming. Basically, it's good to get a point where you can be flexible in that slot because you can repurpose quite a bit toward either damage or survivability by holding just 2 different pairs of pants.

Personally, I don't think it's worth using any more than 2 pieces of the IK set. After you grab the 60 all resistance 2-piece bonus, the diminishing returns of each successive set bonus trail off quickly considering what gear you have to give up to gain them. My guess is your best bet is to aim to keep the armor and the belt. The helm isn't bad and may be your best option at the moment, but I'd lose the gloves in favor of some crafted gloves. All you'd need to do is roll 2 of the 3 trifecta stats to gain a lot of DPS over your IK gloves, and don't forget the garuanteed high strength roll (you will more than double what you're getting out of that slot right now).

I think with a little crafting luck you can get your base DPS in the 70k range rather easily. Soon after that you'll start to recognize gains from LS over LoH and that will give you additional freedom to do things like upgrade your weapons to weapons with crit damage (as a fixed stat). You'll see major DPS gains once you're able to do that too. Your crit chance is at a pretty good level but you're missing out on DPS generation by not maximizing crit damage. A good rule of thumb is 1:10, Crit Chance:Crit Damage - so just keep that in the back of your mind as you're making some gearing choices and you should be good!