Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Read if you're buying the D3 CE at Walmart!!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by SKroo, May 4, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 2665

1. SKroo

SKroo IncGamers Member

Read if you're buying the D3 CE at Walmart!!

I've been a long time reader of this site. I'm not one that really posts on forums, But i thought this would be some good information for some people wanting to buy the Diablo 3 CE from Walmart.

The only reason I'm posting this, is because i know how much Diablo 3 means to people. We have been waiting for 6 years for this game. I would hate for someone that loves this game as much as i do, To miss out on there chance to get a Diablo 3 CE.

I have some details about the Diablo 3 CE, Pertaining to Walmart.

I have been working for Walmart for about 7 years. My job is the Zone Merchandise Supervisor. I'm responsible for completing merchandising/business related duties/Ordering Product. One of my areas has to do with electronics.

The past 4-5 weeks I have been interested on how many Diablo 3 CE's my store is going to get. Well it just so happened that my Regional manager walked into the store today. He is a very good friend of mine. Him and his team are over about 3/4 of the United states Walmart's.

We got to talking. From what he said, it looks like most if not all of the Walmart's in the US, are going to have around 3-7 Diablo 3 CE's(Now this is not exact, just a ruff estimate). The reason i feel this to be accurate is because we have had some major releases on popular games that had the equivalent to a CE. Diablo 3 is a big game. But there have been some major game titles that have been released and I think the most my store had ever gotten was around 6 CE. I live in a highly populated area, Every time there is a major release we always do a Pre-countdown/Pre-release "party". Give out merch, etc. I have had releases to where there are over 500+ people waiting to buy a game.

From what he said, If you are wanting to get your hands on a Diablo 3 CE, Your best bet would be to get there SUPER early and camp out(obviously). It is first come, First served. I have been at this store for 7 years, I do the electronic dept ordering, And i cant even get a copy to save for myself... It really is going to be that rare at Walmart.

With the Rarity of the CE, Some rural areas that have Walmart's, might not carry the CE on the launch day. Usually this is only the case in extremely rural areas of the US.

I also asked him if i was the first person in line, and had been standing there all day for this item, And lets just say there were only 4 CE's, Could i buy all 4? I was told NO. See Walmart has a general rule that if an item is a Collectors Edition, or something that is a one time release, They only allow ONE of those items per customer. Now I'm not saying that is every single store. But from what he said, this is a general rule they are starting to abide by company wide. It's the same for other items that aren't Games/Electronics. News to me....

My store is the 3rd busiest store in the Midwest. From what my regional said, We would be lucky if we get more than 5 copies of the CE. No one knows really until its shipped. Most if not all, wont be doing any ordering of the Diablo 3/Diablo 3 CE until next week at the latest.

Recap
    1. There will be a very rare supply of Diablo 3 CE( This is most likely true in most if not all of the US Walmart's) , Get there early.
    2.Only allowed to buy 1.(most, if not all stores in the US)
    3. We have been waiting for this game for 6 years, If you see a kid under the age of 18 with a Diablo 3 CE, Remove that CE from his hands and take it for yourself. Most of these kids under 18, where still swimming in daddy when Diablo 1 came out. =)
    4. Call and make sure that your store is going to order it. Some rural areas might not carry it. This is usually in only extreme rural places. If they tell you they wont have it in stock, You can simply ask them to order it or speak to a member of management, They will order it.

I hope this helped some people out on getting there Diablo 3 CE. And remember, This is only for the Diablo 3 CE. There will be plenty of Diablo 3 Retail at every store, across the US.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2012
  2. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

Re: Read if your buying D3 CE at Walmart!!

Good info. I worked in produce and my store had a decent number of cataclysm and starcraft 2 ce's. I would've gotten the ce at my store, but I figured I'd guaratnee a box form amazon.
  3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Um... the Collector's Edition was sold out at all major retailers in Australia weeks ago. If you miss out it's your own fault for not pre-ordering. They're called Collector's Editions for a reason.
  4. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

And the point of this was? The op has added info to help people. You can blame people for missing the boat or you can be nice and help them anyway.

5. meangreen

meangreen IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info OP.

I've already preordered a CE online but want to get another so that I can resell the one I ordered online and so that I will have something to do between 12-3 am while I'm waiting for the servers to come online(wanna watch the behind the scenes DVD). I've never gone to a Walmart midnight launch before and wanted to know around what time I should get there. I was planning on getting there around 3 hours before midnight just to be sure but is that early enough? My Walmart isn't too big but it's decent size for this area. Thanks.
  6. SKroo

SKroo IncGamers Member

It really depends on how populated your area is, and the number of games they sell monthly. The stores that have a High buying% on games, will always have more copies, its a simple business model. More buying%, more they are going to try to order.

What i addressed in my main post, Even if your store has the highest Buying% in the country, the diablo 3 CE is going to be rare.

IMO, I would get there as early as you can. If your serious about getting it, i would make sure i was the first person in line. I would go to the store in the morning, that's usually when most salary management are there and ask them how many people they are thinking they are going to have. I would get there that night around 3-4 hours early. Remember, its Diablo3. We have been waiting 6 years!!!

Hope this helps!!

Skro

7. Overpowerd

Overpowerd IncGamers Member

Re: Read if you're buying the D3 CE at Walmart!!

B-b-but I have waited for 4 years and paid for my CE already! Why? :(

8. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

If I were you, I wouldn't give a single ****, grab one right out of the delivery boxes, walk to the cashier and claim it rightfully mine.
  9. SKroo

SKroo IncGamers Member

Talked to "headquarters" today, It looks like my store is getting the D3CE shipment on Friday May 11th.
  10. WolfBear

WolfBear IncGamers Member

So what time would I want to be at Walmart to guarantee myself a copy of the CE?