Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Rate My First Amazon Build

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Quingu, Dec 20, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 2706

1. Quingu

Quingu Banned

This is my first serious Amazon. She is intended to beat Hell and retire. Please, help me to polish my build. It's a bowazon.

Stats:
    Str: enough for gear
    Dex: base
    Vita: rest
    Ene: none

Skills:
    Passive: 1 in all, Valkyrie 20, Critical Strike 20
    Multiple Shot 20
    Strafe 20
    rest into Magic Arrow, for beating those rare physical immune stone skins.

Merc:
    Act II, Might

What do you think? Is it hell viable with good gear?
  2. KremBanan

KremBanan IncGamers Site Pal

Rating: 2/10
  3. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

Instead go with Stats:
    Str: enough for gear
    Dex: rest
    Vita: enough for ~1k life (or base life if you can swing it)
    Ene: none

Skills:
    Passive: 1 in all, level 9 pierce (with +skills), level 17 Valkyrie (with +skills), level 13 Critical Strike(with +skills)
    Bow: Multiple Shot ~12 (with +skills), Strafe 20, Frozen arrow 20
    Rest into penetrate if you dont have an ITD bow, decoy to buff up valk, or frozen arrow synergies.

Merc:
    Act II, Might

There, Krem, rate mine.
  4. Quingu

Quingu Banned

1. Maxed Critical Strike is essential. Every single point gives you a higher chance to do DOUBLE your damage, which works ALWAYS, with or without pierce.
    2. Why go for Frozen Arrow, which deals like 500 cold damage maxed, without synergies? I would rather spam Multiple Shot and Strafe for maximum physical damage. Also, there is a huge penalty for freezing time in Hell mode.
    3. Why go for synergy with Valkyrie? It gives only life from Decoy. If she dies I can summon her again in split second. Decoy is wasted points.
    4. Pierce is a waste of points. I will have about +10 to all skills, which gives me about 70% chance to pierce with just single point spent, which is enough. Also, monsters are rarely lined up , so it's often a waste to pierce through them. High Critical Strike will always boost my damage. CS is also much better vs bosses. With Razortail, I will have 100% pierce, with just one hard point spent.
    5. Why max dex without shield? Dex is for block. You get hit chance with level. My barb has base dex and is doing fine in Hell.

I think, I might consider maxing Penetrate instead of MS though. I noticed that neither Strafe, nor MS increases AR. With a good Raven and maxed Penetrate, I might get away with base Dex. I have to think about it, though. I don't need so much life. Amazon has only +5 to AR alvl, while a barb has +20. Hmmm...

Is Magic Arrow good vs Physical Immunes?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  5. crawlingdeadman

Krem rated your build correctly, I was trying to help.

1. No, it's not. Use highlords wrath. You'll get close enough to max chance to do double damage. At higher levels, you're spending 2 or 3 points in CS to get 1% more chance even with a build that has extra skill points to spread around, it's a waste.
    2. FA isnt for killing physical immunes, it's for crowd control. 20 points is great for freezing things in their tracks even in hell. Even if you dont use HL and use atma's or cat's eye or something else, it's still a waste of points past slvl 13.
    3. No, it's not. You should be using decoy for crowd control too, she'll be a life saver.
    4. I didn't say to put 10 points into it, I said to have it at level 9 with +skills. If you get that with one, all the better. With razortail, 100% pierce is given. Monsters dont have to line up for you to get greater DPS via pierce, they can be in a crowd and you'll pierce them too. Hitting the back of the crowd at the same time as you're hitting the front means they all fall down at the same time.
    5. For a bow using character each point in dex is 1% more damage. You need all the % damage you can get.

Magic arrow is great vs physical immunes at level 1. You dont need to max it. Bowazons are very flexable in their skills, make it how you want. With a good bow (faith or WF) you can put skill points pretty much wherever you want. If you have crap though, my skill placement and stat distribution are better than the ones you suggested.
  6. Quingu

Quingu Banned

First of all, thank you for kindly teaching me. This exactly why I posted this build. I know nearly nothing about Amazons. :)

OMG! I just learned that 1 point in dex gives 1% ED when using bows. XD I didn't know about that! Surely, I will pump dex to the max. Like I said, it's my first zon. I thought it's like with Str on melee, you just don't care. :)

About FA. I heard that if you stack cold scs, then you can improve freezing length much more than by pumping Ice Arrow. Is that still true in 1.13c? If it's about cc, not damage, then just one hard point with +10 skills should suffice, no?

I still don't understand how can you say that MA is good vs PI with just one point. My idea is to convert tons of damage to magical, so that I will trash those PI stone skins in split seconds.

I think you are right with CS, though. I didn't notice that there are strong diminishing returns there. One hard point is enough. Especially, since I plan to use HL.

I'm not sure about Penetrate, though. Assuming I will use Faith GMB, do I really need more than one hard point in it?
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  7. crawlingdeadman

-Surely if you want to put points into MA, go ahead. I've never done it myself and have always gotten by on just one point.
    -Penetrate isnt as big a deal if you're going to use faith. It has ITD for the normal monsters and a big %AR for everything else. It was just something to spend points on if you need AR.
    -Using FA for crowd control depends on what you need. If you have a weaker bow, put more in to make yourself safer (this is my personal opinion ofc). With a powerful bow like Faith, you can probably get by on only 1 point. I use FA on right click so that when ever I need to slow the oncoming monsters down, it's quick. If you're mowing everything down before it gets close or if you have a pumped up valk, a decoy that can take a few hits, and a merc that's sturdy, you can probably get by without FA at all.

Bowazon is a gear dependent build when it comes to skills. You either have plenty of spare skills (good gear) or you have to make up for lack of one thing or another (poor gear).
  8. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator; Clan Officer West

and yes, use cold small charms to increase freeze length.

FA is one great skill not only for crowd control but also for damage. Get enough mana leech and at higher levels you can spam FA until mana is nearly gone, then spam strafe or whatever to fill the bulb again.