Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Quiting D3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by AnjaS, Aug 20, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 1029

1. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

I posted this on hardcore forum, but got just ridiculed being sarcastic. But that's not true. I'm deadly serious. So here's repost to proper forum:

Quiting D3

I'm going to stop playing D3. The reason?

I play for role playing attitude and D3 doesn't work for me as moving to Nightmare is not starting from beginning. I noticed that NPC talks were grayed out. Adria's journal didn't start when I was in her hut's cellar, etc. It's not for me to just mechanically play through the game without getting the background why my character is doing what she's doing.

In D2 playing Nightmare & Hell is starting the game anew with better equipment and tougher foes. In *Shock games selecting difficulty doesn't mean that you don't get the same story. But in D3 when I started Nightmare I didn't get any story; even New Tristram's Mayor was already moved. Why is that?

If I start a new character, even though the blacksmith is on his post at the beggining, he moves to his customary place when you acces that part of the quests. Same goes with Covetous Shen in Caldeum. Why not the whole storyline?

As long as the game works like that I've stopped playing, because just mechanically killing monsters with no background story is not for me.

Bye.

Anja

P.S. I still read these forums. So if a future patch corrects that boogaboo, I hope you mention it here. Please?

A
  2. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

The mayor was moved on a patch because it was blocking the path to jeweler, but you can't access other world areas in advance, like weeping hollow (the gates will be closed) or Wortham (the boatman won't take you). Since people really don't shop for blue items on nightmare, in the end of the day that cart was just blocking the dye merchant and jeweler. It wasn't blocking monsters, since you can't go ou and kill the monsters after the cart. Instead of reworking the npc positioning, they removed the cart. They won't likely fix this because of the dye seller, but they do plan to move the jeweler.

As for the texts, part of the journals, letters and pages aren't considered part of the "main storyline", but all of them are calculated character-wise because is impossible for a player to see all of them playing once (I.e. the ones you found across old tristram). I'm not 100% sure of this, but if you click on the log name or on the quest log, you can hear it again - or there's something on the options menu that allows you to do so. Or shift-click, mouse hoover - usually you can interact with stuff that shows inside the [ ]

Pretty sure if you submit a ticket on this, blizz will answer and guide you through their interface.

I'm not 100% because I listened to every single talk of this game once (I think - I got 10 lvl 60 chars and the talking achievements...), and then, so long. I kept it as muted and the UI as clean as possible. The RPG talking and tomes are cool, but the follower talk, omg... If couldn't shut down scoundrel I would buy a CC mempo... And the soundtrack, imo, isn't that compelling.
  3. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Oddly enough, many people complained about just the opposite of that.

I'm sorry that you don't like it, but Diablo simply is not a story game. Maybe you should find a different game? I can recommend plenty of story driven games if you want. Skyrim is super awesome, and that's just to start with. :) Secondly, I played Shadowrun Returns a bit, and that was great too. That game is 85% story.
  4. AnjaS

AnjaS IncGamers Member

LoD can be played story driven as all NPC interactions are just the same from Normal to Nightmare to Hell. But in D3 the speeches that the NPCs give are already grayed out so you don't know which ones you listened and which not.

The cart is in place when you start a new character on normal, even though Covetous Shen is in his New Tristram place. If new character can kill some monsters to get the cart moved, why can't a character in Nighmare do it? And one can listen all the lore the game has with one character if one wants.

Why not give the player the option: Achievements are per player or per character.

Anja
  5. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

After the first run through I never talked with the NPCs again, in fact I wish there was a squelch button for the mercs constant inane babble.