Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions on hammerdin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Logician, Aug 8, 2013. | Replies: 9 | Views: 1561

1. Logician

Logician IncGamers Member

I have this gear

Shield - ??????????
    Weapon - Heart of the Oak Runeword - 40fcr, 40 Res All
    Armor - Enigma ???????????????????
    Upped Magefists - 30%ed, 20fcr, mana regen
    Arachnids Mesh -
    War Traveler boots - 50% MF
    Amulet - mara
    Rings - SOJ + nagel
    Helm - Shako - perf topaz

Q1 . What to put as a shield. Some said that spirit in pala shield is good, others recommend zaka
    Q2 - where to make engima? dusk, archon, mage plates?
    Q3 - What is the best merc gear? I saw people using BOTD while others use Reaper's + treachery and guillaume. I have no idea which one is better

So are my questions. Please answer :)
  2. sixwings

sixwings IncGamers Member

i'm using a spirit right now because I haven't found a hoz/don't have anything to trade for it
    i have an enigma in a 12% ed dusk, any of those should work for you. Archon plate can be expensive.
    On my merc I have kelpie snare (shuts down baal like a mofo), fortitude in an ebugged kraken shell, and a vamp gaze, a lot of people like infinity as their weapon and insight can work too if you're poor, but IMO, if you're poor, the kelpie snare is the way to go.
  3. jeffy

jeffy IncGamers Member

You want the 125 FCR breakpoint. This mean the following gear:

Shield: 35% FCR Spirit in the best base you can find. 45 res sacred targe is the best, but sacred rondache is almost as good (just a few stat points extra) and probably a tenth of the price if you are trading for it.
    Armor: Obviously Enigma. If you want to use the Enigma on other character you might want to go with something with low strength req, but if you plan to use it mainly on the hammerdin, you want an elite base for maximum def. probably dusk shroud. with maxed holy shield those extra points of defense will be significant.
    Gloves: Trang's gloves. 20% FCR and 30% cold res. Magefist doesn't do anything for you.
    Belt: Arachnid's
    Boots: Hotspur for the CS (the best target for hammerdins) for 90% fire res. For everything else you can use whatever you want.
    Rings: 1 SoJ/BK and 1 FCR ring
    Amu: Mara's or +2 Pala/10+ FCR. If you use a FCR amu you can replace the fcr ring with another skill ring
    Helm: Shako. Ber socket is probably the best overall socket since it's the only way to get more DR, and you can get resists and mf from charms. If that is too expensive, ptopaz, um, ist, whatever.

switch: CtA is essential if you want to play aggressively against De Seis. Pair it with another Spirit obviously.

MERC

Expensive option:

Act 2 defiance merc with:
    Doom runeword
    Fortitude (ethereal cube bugged)
    Andariel's Visage (ethreal with ias/fire res jewel) or Vamp Gaze maybe.

This will give you holy freeze + defiance.

Cheap option:
    Holy freeze merc iwth:
    Reaper's (shael)
    Fort
    Steel Shade (ias) - helps against fire in the CS, and makes it so that you don't need to teleport out of Diablo's ground fire thing which can get annoying.

Can't really tell you which one is better. The expensive setup is better against extra fast De Seis probably because your chance to get hit is much lower, but the Decrepify + holyfreeze in the second setup completely neutralizes everything else. The danger with the Reaper's setup is that sometimes Holy Freeze doesn't active, and if Decripfy also fails, you have nothing against De Seis's pack and that can turn bad. With Doom, Holy Freeze is guaranteed at least.

CHARMS

If you are running the CS (again, my gearing advice pretty much assumes this), you want to overstack fire resists. Meaning, should get enough resists that you have at least around 75, but 90 is better obvious, after conviction. If you don't do this and end up with 0 resists against Infector with conviction, you can get fried. You probably need 7 or 8 11% sc of fire res to do this. If you don't care about survival and just running to magic find or whatever, just load up on skill charms/mf/life according to your needs.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  4. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

I use Insight on my merc. It lets me hold down the left mouse button constantly without ever needing to drink a potion or toggle Redemption. Very convenient.
  5. freaking

freaking IncGamers Member

Hammerdin shield- this is an on-going war between spirit sacred targe vs hoz shield.
    Spirit sacred targe
    Easier to reach 125fcr
    55fhr

FHR is essential in pvp, and having a spirit ST means you will have good fhr to begin with and you can slap in some equipment to get 86% fhr which is the next fhr breakpoints.

125fcr on the other hand can be reach using non spirit shield like
    arachnid belt (20)
    2/20/2 diadiem/coronet(20)
    wizardspike(50)
    trang oul glove(20)
    craft ammy (10)
    fcr ring (10)

125fcr mean faster teleport speed=faster magic finding speed

Hoz
    High block means more extra point into vitality
    2 more combat skill=more damage per hit of hammer
    20str

My way of playing
    Use hoz first. Find 45res sared targe and roll till 35fcr. Use 45res spirit targe(you will get 80res on light,ice,poison and 45 fire, better than um hoz imo)

People use mageplate for the low strength requirement
    archon is better than mage in term of defense, but higher strength requirement
    I usually don't make enigma on duskshroud as the resale value of duskshroud enigma is lower than that of mageplate and archon enigma. Some people comment that duskshroud is ugly.

My way of playing
    I use mage plate. I put 0points into strength when using torch,mara,anni charm

Merc equipment (talking about act 2 merc, some people like act 1 merc when using hammerdin)

This is only my opinion.

Hammerdin is usually the damage dealer. However when you go into wsk/ancient tunnel etc to magic find, you will need your merc to help to kill magic immune mob, so it pays to have damage on them. There are 101 ways to equipment a damage dealer merc like fort,botd etc etc.

For the Reaper's + treachery and guillaume combination
    This combination is usually for sorceress merc as decrip will be cast frequently
    and it will reduce your chance of hammered by mob when you accidentally teleport into them. Hammerdin on the other hand usually have nice block, def and resist, so it's abit redundant.
  6. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

It's extravagant, but I might as well mention it. I use a Grief Phase Blade and an Exile shield on the switch. With one point in Zeal, all I have to do is press "W" and I can kill magic-immune mobs very quickly. Smite is another option, just in case. With the right switch weapon/shield, one definitely does not need to rely on a merc to kill anything.
  7. freaking

True. But i still like cta/spirit on switch, just my style of playing :D
  8. Logician

I don't care about PvP because I have little time to play anyways and I prefer killing monsters not people ;D That ear someone thrown at me was disgusting!

Back to topic, "My way of playing
    Use hoz first. Find 45res sared targe and roll till 35fcr. Use 45res spirit targe(you will get 80res on light,ice,poison and 45 fire, better than um hoz imo)"

I am a bit rusty on what you mean by roll til 35 fcr?
  9. freaking

spirit runeword has fcr(faster cast rate) range of 25-35 so you can get 25,26....35 when you make spirit shield and what fcr you get is random. And what i mean roll is using Hel rune to unsocketed the sacred targe and remake spirit till you get 35fcr on a 45resist all sacred targe.

By the way, having fhr helps in pvm as well. It helps your character shorten the 'stun' duration when successfully hit by monster,hereby allow you to teleport away. Some monsters like maulers may stun lock you if your fcr and fhr are low.
  10. Logician

Thank you. When I saw Hel rune I immediately remembered unsocketing :}