Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions for a zealot build

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by stofsk, Jan 28, 2013. | Replies: 5 | Views: 1794

1. stofsk

stofsk IncGamers Member

Hello, I'm a long-time lurker to these forums, although I posted here quite awhile ago (I've long since forgotten which threads). I've started playing D2 after a long absence and I was wondering if anyone would like to answer a few questions I have?

I have a zealot in mind for a new character to play. Through my Sorceress I've picked up both Guardian Angel and Herald of Zakarum (I can't remember where GA fell, but I suspect either NM Diablo or Baal dropped it - Diablo the more likely; HoZ dropped somewhere in Act 1 Hell), and the plan is to up these when I get the runes available and/or when my pally levels up high enough. With this in mind, I thought I'd ask a couple of questions:

1. Does upping an item increase the required level to wear them? My gut thinking is that it doesn't, but I've never done it before so I thought I'd ask.

2. Given that both these items should take care of my max block, I've opted not to go for Holy Shield. Part of this is style as well, as I never really liked the holy shield 'look'. Given a standard zealot build (20 zeal, 20 fanaticism, 20 sacrifice), this means I have a good 20 points free to max or allocate into other skills. So I thought I'd ask for advice here. I am thinking of quite a few of skills, but can't decide. From descending order of preferred/not-preferred:
    -prayer and/or redemption, the latter mainly for corpse removal. I'm inclined to go down this route for theme/style reasons.
    -sanctuary, but I've heard it's bugged. If so, what specifically is bugged about it? Is it still bugged in 1.13? (if so, what a lol)
    -blessed aim, for the passive AR bonus. I don't know if this will be required though, but I figure it couldn't hurt. I figure I might throw any spare points in here if required, regardless of what other skill I choose to max.
    -one of the offensive auras, but I'm pretty ambivalent over this option. It'll give me a PI solution though...
    -maybe put ~10 points into each of the resist whatever skills, to potentially max out my resists. However, I don't have a lot of my endgame gear sorted out so this is probably the least favoured option. My understanding is you need to hit the 75% resist before the max resist bonus enters into the picture.

3. I am thinking of a physical immune solution. But I don't know how big of a problem it'll be, so I'm not sure how to approach it. Obviously if my Sorc or Fishymancer find a lightsabre or azurewrath I'll be set :V (I don't have a weapon planned for endgame yet; I figure I don't need to worry about it just yet). I'll be going with a cold rogue for my merc, so potentially I could just tank and rely on her and whatever elemental damage I've acquired through gear/charms to carry me over.

4. Those Fetish Dolls concern me. Is this just one of those 'shrug your shoulders and go "what can you do?"' things? I mean, I've never taken a melee character to Hell mode. Can anything mitigate the damage or is it just the price you pay for playing a melee character? Do they one-shot you?

Cheers! :)
  2. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

1. Yep, it does.
    2. Sanctuary doesn't deal bonus damage, but it reduces the physical resistance of undead to 0 and knocks them back. 1 pt for sure. Similarly 1 pt in vigor, redemption, charge.
    BA is important depending on your weapon. If the weapon does not have ITD ( ignore target defense ), it can be worth maxing it.
    3. Sanctuary will kill undead PIs. for the rest, get Reapers toll on your merc
    4. Just kill em. Pop rejuves and play a bit careful maybe.
  3. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

2.) Regarding Holy Shield, activating Holy Shield will bring your Paladin to 2 frames FBR. A Paladin normally starts at 5FBR and takes 86% FBR to reach 2 FBR without Holy Shield.3.) Reaper's Toll is the best option. If you don't want to do a lot of magic finding/trading to get one, Vengeance or running the Conviction aura with an elemental damage weapon (you can buy wands with a lot of lightning damage) will work.4.) You can abuse the AI and hire an Act 2 merc. If you are patient enough, you can make sure he lands all of the killing blows on them. They don't do death damage to Act 2 mercs (don't know about the other hirelings).
  4. el shendee

el shendee IncGamers Member

Which merc would you recommend, by the way? I suppose an Act 2 merc, but which aura?
  5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Might aura, and use HS. The defence is a hefty bonus, then any spare points after putting what you need in BA, and you can put points in defiamce for even more defence.
  6. el shendee

el shendee IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks!