Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Questions about imbuing.

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Utherdin, Feb 28, 2006. | Replies: 15 | Views: 621

1. Utherdin

Utherdin IncGamers Member

Questions about imbuing.

1. Can ethereal non-socketed items be imbued? For example eth berserker axe.

2. Are circlet class items best to imbue?

3. Does a diadem found in the pits get better results than a coronet found in the pits?

4. Can circlets be upgraded? Is it worth it if possible

5. If I imbued in normal with a level 93 char I have, would it be worse than doing it in hell or does it not matter the dif?

6. Is it six possible affixes for any item?

7. Is it better to gamble or imbue circlets?

8. Is it worth it to farm imbues?

2. camelass

camelass IncGamers Member

crap good questions, i would like to know these answers as well. I havent used any imbue quests yet so i have at least 24 at my disposal.

3. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

1. Yes, and they'll still retain their ethereal bonus too.

2. Not necessarily. It would depend on the level of the imbue'er, but generally Circlets are better options than other items. If you wanted a necro shield though... Items with staffmods get a bonus to their staffmod count and number when imbued.

3. Nope. The reason for this is because both items would have the same ilvl, and both of their magic_lvl's would boost them past the point needed to be able to get all affixes in the game. In this situation, the only advantage to using a Diadem would be the greater defense.

4. Yes, though it's abit complicated. Circlets and Cornets are classed as "normal" items. Tiara's are "exceptional" and Diadem's are "elite". This is the order that they will also be upgraded in:

Circlet --> Tiara --> Diadem
    Coronet --> Tiara --> Diadem

Since you can only upgrade uniques and rares, then upgrading would only result in more defense, not better mods.

5. Nope, the difficulty doesn't matter, only the clvl of the person doing the imbue (and the qlvl of the item, of course; not to be confused with the ilvl of the item)

6. Yes, 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes. Some items can have staffmods in addition to this (eg, Necro shields with 3x +single skill).

7. With imbue, you have a guaranteed rare circlet, but with gambling you will more often than not get magicals. That said, it depends on your situation. If you have alot of gold, then gamble, otherwise if you find alot of circlets, and have alot of chars left over, then imbue them. A diadem imbued by even a lvl 8 char would have access to every affix in the game.

8. Everything in the game is luck. It would depend on the trade values of a good imbued circlet, so I'll leave this question up to someone else.

4. Utherdin

Thanks a lot for your answers. It's exactly what I wanted to hear. Now im' going to pick up all circlets class white items and imbue like a bastard. Mass imbuing would be so easy because I could easily create a char and quickly kill smith to get another imbue. I would love to take an eth berserker axe and get 450% ed, 40% ias, 1500 ar based on level, 2 sockets, and self repair. Of course the chances of getting all that would be very slim, but i'm gonna try. But is it true you can only get 3 prefix and 3 affix and not get 6 pres or 6 afix?

5. camelass

camelass IncGamers Member

eek i wouldnt waste an eth zerker and imbue it! but i guess if you are feeling lucky then go for it. i would socket it with socket quest and make a botd. seems the better route to go.

6. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

A couple of points:

- No, you cannot get 6 prefixes or 6 suffixes. 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes is the max that a rare item can have.

- You'll need to be level 7 or 8 in order to be able to complete the smith quest (can't remember which one), and thus be able to do an imbue

- Circlet's are different to berserker axes, in that they have a magic_lvl. If you imbued a berserker axe with a level 8 character, it would be able to get any affix available to it with an alvl of 71 or less. You'd still have alot of affixes open to you, but you wouldn't be able to get the "Condensing" prefix or the "of Transcendence" suffix, for example.

7. Utherdin

Dohhh! What was I thinking. Only the character that gets the quest can imbue. For some reason I thought the 93 could use his imbue. What level do you suggest I get to to get all affixes available?

8. phool

phool IncGamers Member

I remember reading that the 6 pskull recipe doesn't reduce items' ilvl, uniquely in the case of diadems. If that's true maybe one very high diadem imbue followed by pskull recipe would be effective.

9. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Any character who's less than level 83 will be in the same boat as the level 8 character I described above. I haven't verified every affix available to the berserker axe, but I believe the one with the highest req is alvl77. In order for your imbued berserker axe to be able to get that, your character would need to be 84, which would give the item an ilvl of 88.

No, it still reduces the ilvl of the diadem, it's just that the diadem's high qlvl (85) and it's magic_lvl bonus (18) are enough for it to get every affix available to it regardless of it's ilvl.

10. marcello

marcello Banned

lvl 8 is the req for doing the smith quest.

11. HobbesAC

HobbesAC IncGamers Member

from Arreat Summit:

Selecting Prefixes/Suffixes in Imbuing
    Imbue is a quest reward. You receive one Imbue per Difficulty level after you complete the quest. You can save your Imbue for later if you wish. To use it, you must create a game or join a game on the same difficulty, so create/join a Normal Difficulty game to use your "Normal Imbue".

Imbue creates a new rare item out of the base item you want to imbue. The stats of the base item do not matter as the item used is only used to determine what type of rare item will result from an Imbue. Any properties of the old item are lost when the new rare item is created. Having a Superior Item, such as a piece of armor with higher Defense does not matter since the item is only used in determining what type of Rare item is created. Therefore, it is possible to get a lower Defense on a piece of armor or equipment if you do not receive an "Enhanced Defense" Magical Prefix.

For the best result you might want to save your Imbue for later. It's up to you to decide. If you save your Imbue you can find the best type of item to imbue such as Ornate Plate vs a lower quality armor. Also you might want to wait until your character level is such that all Magical Prefixes and Suffixes are available. As to which item to Imbue, you might want to pick an item type you're unlikely to upgrade often such as Belts, Boots, and so on. We'll leave the decision to you.

The Rare item will be created in the same way as any other Rare Item is created. The level of magical properties selected is set to Character Level + 6. So higher level characters will have more Magical Prefixes and Suffixes options available to them which may explain why higher level characters receive "better" stuff. This also explains why low level Imbues often result in "junk" stats. Remember, Circlets can increase the Character Level.

12. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

Imbued items will actually have an ilvl of clvl + 4, and not clvl + 6. Circlets do not actually increase the character level, and they do not even increase the ilvl of the item. Rather, they increase the alvl, so do not let that mislead you :smiley:

13. HobbesAC

HobbesAC IncGamers Member

hmm ok thanks. didnt know arreat summit can be misleading ^^

14. McCain123

McCain123 IncGamers Member

So I could reroll a rare diadem with 6 pskulls as often as I want and it would still be able to get every affix?

15. monte cristo

monte cristo IncGamers Member

Yes........

16. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

AS is often misleading! - exactly as most of sources. As it is for now the only secure source is... RTB... and may be 2 guys on AB forum :rolleyes: