Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Question about /players in MP

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by cogline, Oct 27, 2008. | Replies: 2 | Views: 1779

1. cogline

cogline IncGamers Member

Question about /players in MP

Hi all.
    This weekend a friend came over and we played D2 LOD on the LAN
    (1.12)

For the most part, we played as-is, which is to say, we let the game allocate the number of players (from 1 to 3) depending on how many players had joined.

However, there was a brief period where I was left alone in the hosted game.
    Being short of cash, I started running through Lower Kurast.
    Based on habits, I typed "/players 8" and the message responded to say that the players setting had been set.

I would have thought this command to be disabled in LAN games?
    But when I continued, chests delivered bigger drops, and soon monsters were harder to kill.

And then my friend joined in, and the game announced that Diablo's Minions had strengthened.

Does anyone know if they "strengthened" back to 2 because there were two players now? We couldn't really tell, because so many monsters and chests had been generated now on two settings we couldn't say which was recently gen'ed.

So then we started experimenting. Players 3 with 2 players.
    Players 8 with two players, and so forth.

In the end, we were running Baal runs, but worldstone keep level 3 was quite nasty for us, so we ran that at players 1, and then back to players 3 for the bosses, and then players 8 for Baal himself.

Mind you, we noticed that only the HOST could change this setting, and the announcement was made for all players in the game. If said player tried to change the setting no response was made for any player.

2. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Re: Question about /players in MP

Hey Cogline, howz it going?
    Afaik, the players 8 setting sets the simulated players to 8. It allows others to join but if the number of actual players hits 8, then no more may join. As for LAN games (which I assume is the same for MPing) only the host can change player settings.
    For Baal runs, take the minions at players/8 setting then drop to p/3 for Baal. Experience doesn't increase for Baal at p/8 as opposed to p/3. I'm sure someone will be along soon with the real oil.
    Take care .... (Damn those Kangaroos, they killed the Kiwi's last nite :D)

3. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

Re: Question about /players in MP

If you set the # of players higher using the /players X command, characters joining the game does not reset the # of players. So if you are solo and set it to /p8, then someone joins, it's still /p8.

If you are solo at /p1 and someone joins, the # players setting is now /p2.

If there are three players in the game and you, as host, type /players 1, the game will say "players set to 1" but the actual players setting is /p3, as the # of players setting can never be lower that the actual number of characters in the game.