Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

PVP prize fights

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by skien, Apr 8, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 814

1. skien

skien IncGamers Member

PVP prize fights

I have been thinking a lot lately about the RMAH, e-sports and people planning to make a living off of D3, and it got me thinking; is there any chance of Blizzard releasing a cash facet to PVP. I think we would have heard something along these lines if it was the case but from what I've gathered Blizzard has kept all information about the release of a PVP system close to their chest.

Personally I think it would be incredible being able to buy into tournaments and take away cash prizes for different places. It also shouldn't be limited by gambling regulations because it would be skill (and by skill i mean gear, skill, RMAH investment :p) based and therefore not considered gambling.

thoughts?
  2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

Re: PVP prize fights

gambling laws are very iffy. each country and state has different rules that would need to be followed. i am sure someone could find away to get around most of them but from a pr point of view its probably better to just provide prizes without forcing a entry fee.
  3. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

I don't think they can really balance D3 to be an e-sport, pvp-wise.

That said, if they could, I don't see what's wrong with some cash prizes for arena matches. It could be like a best out of 20 rounds or something since arena matches are quite short :p.
  4. skien

skien IncGamers Member

I understand the balance issues but that's easily solved by only allowing prize fights between characters of the same class. While this may sound a bit dull if you think about it would be similar to boxing weights or sports leagues. You don't pitch a light weight against a heavy weight, just as you don't see minor league teams playing for points against major league teams.

Playing for cash would have to be optional, so a free league would be in place. My premise works very well with heads up poker games, a player chooses a level of money they think they can win eg. $10, another player matches that fee and the site takes a cut. A similar principle could be put in play for 1v1 or team v team. I think it would add an intensity to the game that would be incredible.
  5. Apocalypse

the thing is with the poker game it would straight up be illegal in most states. poker is very sill based if you actually know how to play but they still consider it a game of chance so who knows what they would call video games where you could get lucky and crit a few times in a row and just destroy the other player

6. skien

skien IncGamers Member

I was a poker dealer for over a year and have been playing for ages, while there is a lot of skill in it I have to go with the haters and say it's still game of chance. Interesting metaphor though, I never thought about it that way, I suppose there is a lot of luck in it when you really cut to the core. The rarity of a character dealing out consecutive critical hits and drilling his opponent into the ground could be the equivalent of flopping a straight flush,

I would say poker is a more complicated game than D3, but I think there'd be more skill involved in D3 - It doesn't matter how good you are at poker, if you never win a show down you're not going to win a tournament, it's the skill that gets you to the final show down - so in other words, no matter how well you play poker you will inevitably need to be touched by lady luck to take the prize. If you're playing monk v monk and your brain is firing, you've geared your character for the spec, running your strats perfectly and executing the right rotation you're almost certainly going to win.

7. Apocalypse

i will agree that during 1 night luck is a huge factor in poker but i 100% believe its a skill based game. i have never in my entire life had a losing year of poker. i have gone 4-5 weeks without a win but at the end of the year i am always well up. the more you play with people the easier the game gets also. thats why the pro players have such a hard time now, what makes them great is also their biggest weakness. everyone can watch them, study them, know what they want to do and when they do it before they ever sit down with them.

tournaments are much different though and you will never ever ever win a tournament without getting lucky at some point. but being lucky still requires skill. you have to know when and where to go for that luck. can you afford the hit if you dont get lucky? whats the pay off if you do hit. are you gonna get more? can you tilt him? can you show the table something that will get them to pay you off down the road at the same time?

poker for sure has a big element of luck i just really believe that a skilled player will always come out a head in the long run
  8. Brak

Brak IncGamers Member

Chris Moneymaker says hi

9. skien

skien IncGamers Member

I agree with you totally man, I'm just saying that when you hit a bad run playing poker you can generally blame the cards, if the best hand you get in an 8 hour session is 2pair and your heads up against a guy holding quads there's no way of winning that hand. In D3 if you have an 8 hour session where you lose every game what can you blame? only yourself, because the only thing that can improve your win rate is you... You might get the critted hard and dropped again and again but chances are if you're being dropped by lucky crits you need more dodge, hp or armor.

10. Apocalypse

i fully agree that a video game is more skill based than poker i just get going when we talk luck vs skill in poker lol. you can have 2 pair and know you are beat so you have to lay it down. i swear to god i actually folded a straight flush before because i knew the other guy had the higher one. i mean there was 4 on the board so it was not like the greatest lay down in history, but its a lay down 99% of the players dont make. so i dont know if this makes sense but......you can be a sklillfull loser. you know limit your loses on a bad night. but ya for sure d3 would be far more skill based than poker

its my experience that tournaments are for bad players, cash games are where the good ones make the money

11. JaMonk

JaMonk IncGamers Member

I could see something like this manifesting in the event that the RMAH needs a jumpstart... Blizz announces a $$$ prize for a PvP arena match and all of a sudden people are shelling out hundreds to buy the top gear from the RMAH in the hope of winning thousands.
  12. Karpalo

Karpalo IncGamers Member

I doubt it. Competitive PvP and RPG don't blend well together. If someone can get edge with superior gear there ever won't be any serious competition.

Edit: Fixed.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. skien

skien IncGamers Member

that's a double negative man... syntax aside that's irrelevant because just as with any other game played for money, the bads don't play against the pro's - high stakes poker players don't play $1-2 games against casuals, mike tyson doesn't fight old mate john for $30. If
    I had a decked out character I wouldn't waste my time pwning small fries for 30c, I'll be taking on the big dogs for $50, just as I wouldn't pitch my newly 60 character in a big tournament.

14. psyadam

psyadam IncGamers Member

I would be interested in getting into the ring if diablo 3 was an e-sport, although considering how often I got "pwned" in d2 I think my chances of getting anything but embarrassed are pretty slim. I am also interested in knowing what the gambling laws are. Wish this site had someone in the know about legal stuff.

edit: I have a 40 hour a week job too, so that would probably limit my efforts as well lol
    edit2: I probably wouldn't in all actuality pay any entry fee to enter any kindof a contest since as I said before I'm pretty poor and I'm pretty sure I'd be pwned.