Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PVP es/orb soso

Discussion in 'PvP' started by theredpredator, Jun 28, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 6103

1. theredpredator

theredpredator IncGamers Member

Been thinking of creating a PVP orb/es sorc. I'd like to discuss the gear setup, maybe anyone has any experience/tips?

Nightwings
    Amulet with 20fcr and some mana
    Vipermagi 13mdr
    Deaths Fathom
    That green shield, forgot the name, best block in the game.
    Arach
    1 soj 1 fcr 110 mana blue ring
    Frostburns
    Crafted caster boots

My goal is high mana, high damage, max block and 105 fcr. FHR is not needed right?

Ive heard of people using ormus robe instead of viper? Is this setup pretty standard?
  2. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Equipment you listed does not provide you with 105 fcr breakpoint, you are 5 fcr short of it. This means you can swap Frostburns to 20 fcr gloves and your fcr ring to second SoJ.
    If you use Ormus, you lose another 10 fcr you need to take care of with ring slot. Some people do use Ormus, but I guess they don't go max block.

As for fhr, I would say it is important to have at least some. With 0 fhr you have 15 frames hit recovery, meaning anything that can put you to hit recovery will easily just kill you cause you will be in nearly constant fhr lock. Also 0 fhr means you will instantly lose all matches when random assassin with mindblast is in game. Some skills automatically put you to hit recovery, so you must think about it or you will have hard time playing against them.
    How much do you need is up to you to test and see with what number are you satisfied. That way I determine what fhr breakpoint I want on my character.
  3. theredpredator

Somehow i thought vipermagi was 35fcr hahaha. Its only 30, thanks for pointing this out. Regarding the fhr, i thought u would only go into fhr mode if u lose a certain portion of ur life, which isnt an issue with es. If es is down, u die. Mind blast however is a good pointer there.
  4. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Not only damage, but some things automatically put you to hit recovery no matter what damage they do.

1. Leap from barbarian causes double hit recovery meaning you will be "stunned" like mad when one barb is leaping screen away from you. You will be a sitting duck for him and anybody around that time. Max block might save you from barb himself, but someone might notice your terrible hit recovery and will use that time to kill you.
    2. Knockback puts you to hit recovery, however max block might deal with that problem
    3. Necromancers Spirits automatically put you to hit recovery when they hit, no matter the damage
    4. Necromancers Teeth automatically put you to hit recovery when they hit too
    etc.
  5. PatBateman

PatBateman IncGamers Member

The 'green' shield you refer to is Gerke's Sanctuary. A very, very nice shield for an ES sorc as it has both physical damage reduction and magic damage reduction. With enough of both , combined with ES, your sorc will be invincible (although not like to deal enough damage to win any fights!). Open wounds and poison dmg will be the only things that can get through the shield. I think it comes down to some specific ring to finish you off (one that gives poison creeper?). The shield has no FHR and it's resists are not the best but, like you say, highest block for sorc iirc. It does have a high strength requirement, though :(
    Then comes a difficult question about whether to max your block or not. PVP ES sorcs (esp the 'invulnerable' kind) will probably want as much mana as they can scrape - putting everything into Energy. Not sure whether a hybrid would work. I'm only theorising here; I have no such experience.
    Anyway, GL!

EDIT: BTW, Gladiator's Bane gives 30 FHR and CBF as well as dual MDR/PDR. But Viper is probably your best bet.

2nd EDIT: I forgot, Gerke's has no FBR. Is that a no-no for PVP? PVM not so important...
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  6. theredpredator

Gerke's is not a green shield but an unique. I was talking about Whitstan's Guard. Round Shield

Defense: 154
    (Base Defense: 47-55)
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 53
    Durability: 64
    Paladin Smite Damage: 7 to 14
    Chance to Block:

+175% Enhanced Defense
    Half Freeze Duration
    40% Faster Block Rate
    55% Increased Chance of Blocking

+5 To Light Radius

WHo needs resistances when they have es ekekkekekeke
  7. PatBateman

PatBateman IncGamers Member

Aha! Yes, okay. PVP you do not need resistances with this type of setup. But PVM unfortunately you do, thanks to the MDR 'bug' possessed by inferno-breathing things such as Infector and his boys in CS. But this is PVP! Let us know how you get on...
  8. theredpredator

Absolutely raping the pvp scene xd
  9. PiercingTrident

PiercingTrident IncGamers Member

ES works in the damage mitigation chain sort of like this in PvP:

(X/6) x ES%) x R%)x A%)- MDR & DR) - A#)= D)+ Ar%)+ Ar#) = Shown Return
    X = Opponent Damage Dealt
    ES% = Energy Shield Reduction %
    R% = Resist %
    A% = Absorb %
    MDR & DR = Magic Damage Reduced & Damage Reduced (note: Damage Reduced by X% functions as a resistance for physical damage)
    D = Damage Dealt
    Ar = Absorb return (or healing provided by absorb, functions the same numerically as it does percentage based)

So, say you're an Orb sorc taking a 6k Bone Spirit with lvl 40 (95% reduction) ES, and you have 35 MDR, you'll see an effective loss of 15 HP. To reduce 6k Magic Damage to zero, you'll need right at 50 MDR. Any elemental damage at 6k with -100% resist will show you an effective loss of 65 HP, as MDR also works against all non-physical and non-poison damages.

Fortunately, the "Replenish Life" affix also benefits heavily from such a high % of ES. The extreme damage mitigation means that your HP is effectively much more valuable, and boosts this affix much higher in effect.

You might want to look into keeping ES prebuff items in your stash. A +3 ES Ormus, and the runeword that provides bonuses to ES slotted into a +3 ES base staff alone works wonders. As long as you cast it at level 40, you'll keep the 95% reduction.

Bone Spirit, and teeth, do -not- cause automatic FHR. Any attack dealt while the stun animation is active does. Knockback does as well, which is what leap's function is in the game. Telekenesis also offers the same effect, although it's not as dependable as Leap's, as it doesn't apply to every hit.

Taking more than 1/12th of your life in one hit also sends you into FHR.

My personal gear choice for a block Frozen Orb sorc were:

-Gerke's Sanctuary (Eld preferred for saved stats, 5/5 facet or 15 res/-15% req are also good options)
    *Alternatively, you could seek out a Jeweler's Monarch of Deflection, and drop in 4x 5/5 cold facets for a huge damage boost. Whistan's would be your last choice. You gain literally nothing but a slightly faster block rate and run/walk speed from using this shield. It's pretty much the poor man's sorc shield... and I'd honestly rather use Sigon's for the +1 skill...

-Vipermagi (Mal rune is feasible, 5/5 Cold facet is also a nice choice.)
    -Death's Fathom (5/5)
    -2/20fcr Amulet
    -2/20fcr/2socket circlet (one socket is welcome) the stats you're interested in here are primarily STR & Dex, then Mana/Life/DR & MDR, then Res% in that order. Primarily, though, you want +2 skill/20 fcr with at least one socket, preferably 2. Life Replenish is also a decent mod. 2x 5/5 facets are preferred, one will suffice.
    -Arachnid's Mesh
    -2x SoJs
    -Frostburn
    -30 run/walk 20 fhr high str/dex boots with res (preferably poison)

If you can't obtain a great sorc circlet, Nightwing's will work, but you'll need to drop Frostburns for Magefists. You lose HUGE stats (read: mana) on this tradeoff, but you gain some damage and a higher level of BO from your CTA on switch, so it's not all bad.

I believe the FHR breakpoint I aimed for was 86%, which means you'll end up using a lot of FHR charms. Ideally, you'll want to run a Hellfire Torch, Annihilus, 3 +1 cold/FHR charms, 3-4 +1 cold/Life charms, 6 FHR/Mana small charms, and the rest would be life/mana small charms.

Getting hit by caster poison attacks (Poison Nova) will kill you instantly if you're at 1 life. Anything else that you have enough DR & MDR to mitigate will literally do nothing to you at 1 life. Whirlwind Assassins' Venom won't break through, though Poison and Open Wounds will quickly reduce you to 1 life.

Your toughest fights will involve strong melee chars (Telebarbs with OW can make quick work of you if you don't utilize the replenish life attribute) and any kind of well played Assassin. Other Sorceress' will overpower you head on, but if you play skillfully you can whittle them down and eventually win. Most druids will end up as a stalemate, as you have to perfectly place high damage orbs to break their cyclone armor and deal damage. Everything else will be cake.