Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

PVM Zealot Merc

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by LegionOblivion, May 17, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 7199

1. LegionOblivion

LegionOblivion IncGamers Member

Hey Everyone,

Have a quick question bout which merc to use that best suits my gear. I just got back in to D2, what with the release of D3 and all :) and I am back working on my Zealot. My gear is as follow

Guillys (Um)
    Fortitude AP
    Greif PB
    HoZ (Um'ed and Upped)
    Laying of Hands
    Highlords
    String of Ears
    Gores
    2 x raven frost

on switch I have cta and spirit

I do have 1 point into smite however this is going to be strictly PVM non uber build. What merc would you suggest with gear that would best suit my setup? Right now I am using a defiance merc with eth repears toll, guillys and leviathan. I was also thinking of switching out the HoZ for exile.....thought? Also would appreciate any other gear suggestions.

Thanks!!
  2. Krupa

Krupa IncGamers Member

it´s pretty straight forward actually:

act 2 offensive merc from nightmare difficulty aka might merc

gear: keep the reapers toll, the rest is pretty much secondary. i´d use treachery + gaze - or eth upped shaftstop 'um' + eth andy with 15 ias 30 fr. actually just keep him naked except for the reapers ;)
  3. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

HoZ's stats and increased chance of blocking should leave you with a more HP, while Exile gives you a butt-load of defense and ofc ctc Life Tap. With HLW/LoH hopefully maxing out your light/fire resists you shouldn't really need the extra res on HoZ. Up to you really. If you can roll a good one I'd say go for Exile.

The second RF is kinda silly as Grief's ITD makes AR unimportant for most things (and bosses you should Smite). Slot a dual leech/res/stat ring or other unique of your choice in there.
  4. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Personally I would keep the defiance merc. Might mercs die way too often and it is simply not worth the bother of having a little extra ed at the cost of having to constantly resurrect. The way I see it, the merc is mainly there for decrepify ( reapers ) and keeping himself alive ( which defense helps more than anything else ). I only use might mercs on characters who have ways of keeping them alive - high level shout/BO barbs, knockback/valk strafezon, summons from necromancers, druids. I tried might mercs for characters like kicksins but it was way too much of a bother to constantly mindblast and the benefit was so marginal that I gave up and switched back to defense.

Still if you go for a might merc there are two ways to give him extra defense - eth bugged fortitude sacred armor ( can get upto 10k+ def with chilling proc ), and 'exile' shield with its defiance aura. I haven't really tried either of them but they should work.

You might put some thought into going for 2 handed zealot. Personally I find 1 handers weak and useless, yes even grief. Pure physical zealots don't need blocking and more damage+more range is king.
  5. LegionOblivion

LegionOblivion IncGamers Member

good stuff guys, thanks for the help! Another questions, what would be the best pally shield to put exile into? Im thinking eth sacred targe with 45 res? Also, if I have exile is there any real point in having a defiance merc, how much more will that added defense really help? Thanks again!
  6. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

Only the higher level aura will apply, so no point to that.

Really any cube-socket-bugged shield with ~40 res and high defense will do; those are hard enough to find on their own. The other elite shields can have a lot more defense than a ST, at the cost of 2-11% blocking.
  7. LoboMau

LoboMau IncGamers Member

Hi, going for exile will be worth the effort. Best shield for any zealot in my opinion. As long as you're using HoZ: Get Draculs, LT is king. Regarding the basic item for exile: I would use a Sacred Targe since it has the lowest strength requirements, best chance to block and good smite damage. Without upped HoZ your strength requirements will go down to 103 (archon plate) what means more points to put in vita.

8. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

LT isn't really needed outside of ubers. Decrepify is better ( reapers merc ).
  9. pickadyp

pickadyp IncGamers Member

Personally I like to use Exile on my Zealot since the Life Tap can save your *** when things get hairy. Since Decrepify would override the Life Tap, I use an act 2 might merc with eth Pride, eth upp'd Gaze, and eth-bugged Sacred Armor Fort. With defiance and chilling armor the merc rarely dies and I get the benefit of Might and Concentration.
  10. Korlic

Korlic IncGamers Member

Hi I would lose one Raven. Then have a 11 Procent LL Blood ring. That means u dont need LT and can use Reapers.