Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PVM Trapper Build

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by funkmu, Aug 18, 2013. | Replies: 12 | Views: 3795

1. funkmu

funkmu IncGamers Member

Hi everyone, a couple weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at trapsins for pvm after getting bored of light sorcs and hammerdins. I couldn't find a good guide online, so after some experimenting I've come up with a build that I think works pretty well. I want some critique on my build.

My objective is to hit:
    9 frame trap laying speed with fade
    102 FCR BP
    86 FHR BP

Here's my setup:
    Coa w/ 2x 15ias w other mods jewels
    2 Sin amulet w/ 7fcr str, res and other mods
    Silence PB
    Enigma MP
    Spirit Shield with 35FCR
    2x 10fcr rings with str res etc
    War Travs
    Trang Gloves
    Arachs.
    CTA/Spirit switch

Merc A2 Defiance:
    Eth Infinity Thresher
    Ebugged Fort Sacred Armor
    Eth Vgaze

Inventory:
    4x Trap lifer GCs
    1x Gheeds
    torch and anni
    2x4 free slot for loot

Currently I do 8.6k light damage, but I find that Death sentry makes for a better killer on many occasions. I'm super tanky with about 3.2k life, 130+ all resistances and 21DR using Fade. Using a phase blade means 9frame trap laying is just 42ias which I hit with silence + 2x 15ias jewels in my hat.

The only way I think I can do more damage is with a 2sin 20fcr 2os circlet with 2x 15ias jewels. I can swap the 10fcr rings for Soj/Bks, but then I lose the 86FHR breakpoint.

Let me know what you think! I believe this build, although less damage, to be better than using a Hoto + Shako because I'm forced to use Burst of Speed with Hoto and Shako which makes me significantly squishier.
  2. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

For PvM I would go dual claw personally. If you want w/s and fade, have a look at Tienje's PvP guide (in the stickies). It will work of PvM too. Silence seems like a wasted gear slot.
  3. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Dual Spirit for teleporting is also valueable. 110fhr/70fcr/220mana/44vita/resists. Cheap yet still powerful for any caster oriented char.

Change into Hoto/spirit. Or hoto/phoenix, which I use on mine. Shes lvl 92 atm.
  4. Gino

Gino IncGamers Member

Why phoenix?
  5. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Because it provides Redemption? It also has 15-21 FAbs, +10max Fres and +5max Lres.

A lvl 15 Redemption aura gives you a 80% chance each pulse, to heal you for 95mana+health. Its pretty nice for a pvm char.
    Combine that with fade, and ok block, and you cant die.
  6. Gino

Gino IncGamers Member

Can you provide me with your full gear? Also character stats such as dmg life res etc
  7. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

I would add that FCR is only going to help your teleporting- sorry if you already knew this, but it was unclear from your first post whether or not you knew that FCR does NOT affect trap speed. IAS does, and can be crucial if you are using Fade instead of BoS. Phoenix is a neat idea to keep on switch, but I've also found that on higher player settings DS is going to pop most of the corpses.
  8. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

I would like to point out that Redemption will affect your Corpse Explosions.

Also, I cannot for the life of me figure out why you would want a Silence runeword...

Same with War Travelers. I would use Shadowdancer for the hit recovery, dexterity, and bonuses to Fade/Mind Blast/Cloak of Shadows.

EDIT: Okay I can sort of see why you'd prefer Silence. But Using Heart of the Oak with Shadowdancers will give you comparable resist and hit recovery. Make up for the lost resist elsewhere.
  9. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

How can an Act 2 Merc use an armour that requires 222 Str?
  10. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

My lvl 94 mf sorc, has a merc with over 230str. Using Andariels Visage.
  11. NoisemakerArrow

NoisemakerArrow IncGamers Member

Well, yeah, if you use something like that, of course. I sometimes use Leviathan on mercs and they have a lot of Strength. But that guy was using Vampire Gaze and Infinity, and neither of those give Str. Even with a Fal in the helm, the merc won't reach 222. Maybe he's not using a Sacred Armor.
  12. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

Hmm.. good point. I think the A2merc maxes out at around 210str, at lvl98/99, so youre right. He cant be using SA.
  13. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

Getting a high-level merc to 230+ str shouldn't be too hard.
    But the OP claims to have a merc, that has max str of 213 (lvl 98) with no str from gear, wear an armor with req of 222, so in my opinion NoisemakerArrow's question is a fair one to ask. Even with a Fal/PAme/Jewel in the Vampire Gaze, the merc would have to be level 98 to equip the armor.