Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pvm kicker/trapper paired with a conviction paladin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by mackscynox, Jun 16, 2013. | Replies: 6 | Views: 2784

1. mackscynox

mackscynox IncGamers Member

hey everyone,

i found an azurewrath and thought of a build for it. i have a question if anyone tried below build and lmk what you think.

helm: +2sin circlet
    ammy: +2sin ammy or highlords if speed needed
    armor: undecided, treachery probably wont use BoS and wont max fade
    boots: shadowdancer
    gloves: undecided, dracs or laying of hands, pala uses dracs already so might check a different glove here
    shield: spirit or stormshield, will try both
    weapon: azurewrath, no other choice here, purpose of the build/char
    belt: arachs
    ring: raven frost and a rare
    only torch atm, no anni

build is a general one but skills might be different. i will always go with a conviction paladin which can also deal good physical damage (fanaticism and conviction max'd). but my char will be take advantage of conviction. so a kicker/trapper hybrid is my choice.

+11 all, +2shadow
    20 venom
    18-20 dragon talon
    20 death sentry
    20 lite sentry
    # in fire traps? needed?

pala and me only run chaos sanctuary and cows, sometimes pits but rarely. for some resist reasons my javazon is too fragile and goes down quickly while pala is slow to kill so i need a strong glass cannon actually, i want to try sth different than a javazon next to pala. she has issues with lite immunes when pala needs to switch to fanaticism, becomes literally useless.

my main question is will above build compete with a pure javazon (assume similar budget build) ? lightning fury is too good to give up:) any comment on skills especially trap section?

what merc to use? can be act 3 ones also with the conviction pala around but do not know if i will miss the insight.

as i said above, there will be a pala also so i might skip some skills that are required for solo play (like dragon talon for example). that is why i ask for comments for above build, please keep that in mind.

thanks
  2. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Azurewrath isn't the best choice, personally I would go Stormlash or Crescent Moon for the CTC static.

You will never even get close to being as good as a Javazon for Cows or CS. Lightning Sentry isn't as effective against Conviction broken LIs as it gets no help from -ELR on facets / Griffons. (To be honest I'm not sure why the Paladin is switching to Fanaticism at all when there is a Javazon around - he should be acting like a glorified Infinity merc, Conviction should always be on.) Don't bother with Venom PvM, especially if using Treachery. Get 4/5 DT kicks and put the rest into LS synergies.

Your kicks will only be decoration if you don't get some Crushing Blow. Guillaumes Face and Upped Gore Riders are pretty much mandatory, especially as you have no CB on the weapon. I would go for crafted Blood Gloves too if you really want to stick with the Azurewrath.

Read Ilkori's guide in the Builds compilation.
  3. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Actually your best bet for Azurewrath is to make the most of it's Sanctuary Aura with Dragon Tail. That would also be fun with the conviction.

Check out my guide here. (shameless plug.)
  4. mackscynox

mackscynox IncGamers Member

thanks for the build, i have a tigerstrike-dragontail build but physical + venom based (ezod upped bartucs) build. i didnot think about that skills, i will give a try.

paladin switch to fanaticism because there are times he needs to leech or unbreakable lite immunes, some of the cows are like that and chaos sanctuary ghost champions are sometimes LI unbreakable. conviction means slower attacks = less lifetap from dracs = danger :)

stormlash is always better but wanted to try azurewrath, thats it. it doesnot fit the build, i know.

kicking is for unbreakable LI while paladin switches to fanaticsm, aura will increase physical damage greatly.

i have to test your build with some gear changes. thanks
  5. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Yes javazon is insanely good with high end gear but with lower end gear the difference between light trappers and light amas is smaller especially in cs where the packs arent as big.
  6. nolan16

nolan16 IncGamers Member

I'm building an Azurewrath kicksin also (first kick type weapon I found). I'm pretty fond of the setup I have planned:

Azurewrath with eth rune
    Stormshield
    Lionheart Mage Plate (Might go to fortitude later)
    Guillames with ias jewel
    Cats Eye Amulet
    Gore Riders - Upped
    Ravenfrost
    Attack rating/stats rare ring
    Dracs
    Thundergods Vigor

Use fade aura to high enough level for 50%dr including ss, ias jewel and cat eye for frw/ias breakpoints. Azurewrath doesn't help your ar much so I am putting an eth into it and collecting ar/life charms. Venom and Death Sentry are maxed, talon to the highest multiple of 6 including + skills, Shadow Master pump to at least 17 or max, few into fade and 2 into mind blast, from there will put some points into fire blast for ds shots and/or lightning sentry.

My sin is built for Hardcore. I anticipate Azurewrath being a strong kicksin choice as it removes undead physical immunities and hits for 500 - 1000 magic damage per kick. 50% crushing blow is enough imo.

The competing weapons to Azurewrath imo are:

Fleshripper - 75% crushing blow with same setup/switch weapons - Bloodlord health of 11,128 health in hell. .83 chance of taking out 1/4 health per hit. Kick does 1-2k damage. =
    Stormlash - does 500 magic damage per kick less on average, 83% cb.
    Rift - this thing is just cool. Frozen orbs are nicer imo than static field as you already do % damage via crushing blow, by the time your death sentries pop, static field does poor damage.
    Last Wish - too expensive for me to give any cares about this weapon.

View attachment 4563

Not accounting for chance to hit or open wounds, a Stormlash and Azurewrath will kill an 11,183 hp Death Lord faster than a Fleshripper (did not account for chance to cast static either, but it's 10% to do a 1/4 of up to half of remaining halves hp, does not seem like that much of a difference make to me). The smaller the monsters hp, the faster Azurewrath is compared to crushing blow. My kicksin boss speed always seems fast enough, I like the idea of killing smaller corpses faster for quicker death sentry pops, also with Azurewrath no worrying about most of the physical immunities in the game and do bonus damage to undead.

Also left out monster resistances (cause I don't have time for that), but blood lord for example have 66% dr and 33% cold and magic res, which would make the Azurewrath even more superior in this instance.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  7. maxicek

maxicek IncGamers Member

Stormlash is the kicker weapon of choice. Do not underestimate the static as it acts over an area.