Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PvM Kicker, need some openion

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Ctrl+Alt+Delete, Dec 2, 2004. | Replies: 10 | Views: 525

1. Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Ctrl+Alt+Delete IncGamers Member

PvM Kicker, need some openion

Hi guys, I'm building a PvM kicker, and the following is my build plan. Please note that I havnt played D2 for quite a long while, so please dont flame me if my build is the cheesiest, corniest cookie cutter.

I picked DTalon + Venom as my bread and butter skill, with Shadow Master as tank, so Tiger Strike and Claw Mastery should be unnecessary. Also, I decided to give Blade Shield a try. At first, I planned to either max Blade Shield or put 10 sps in it for longer duration, but now I kinda get used to recasting it before charging into a group o monster, so lvl 1 should be enough right? Blade Fury is for use against Iron Maiden.

This build is uses C/S, so Weapon Block is only for prereq. I'm planning to use Storm Shield, so I guess my str and dex should be pretty high for str req of shield and maintain max block.

The rest are one point wonders and you know why I pick em.

Martial Art
    Max Dragon Talon

Shadow Discipline
    Max Venom
    Max Shadow Master
    5 BOS
    1 COS
    1 Mind Blast
    5 prereqs

Traps
    1 Blade Shield
    1 Blade Fury
    3 prereqs

77 total

110 - 77 = 33 sp left

Some questions :
    1. As you can see, i still have like 30 pts left. Where should I put the rest of em?
    2. Is my BOS high enough? Should i pump it to lvl 11?
    3. Izzit worth it to max Blade Shield for the bonus dmg and duration?
    4. Do I need lotsa vit? Or just dump em into str and dex for blocking, kick dmg and shield req?

Thanks in advance.

2. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

1) IMO, an elemental skill of some sort to deal with PIs. Venom will work on bosses but you'll have trouble with PI crowds(and a lot of PIs are also Poison resistant). If you want to stick with your current build, I would go with maxed PS and a decent amount of points in a synergy. If you're willing to cut back 10+ points from SM, though, you could also max LS and a few synergies. Either option works.

2) 5 BoS should be enough with a decent amount of +skills. This mostly depends on your choice of weapon and the amount of IAS you'll have on equipment, though, so why not post your planned equipment here?

3) Probably not. 1-5 points is fine, but damage progression on BShield is poor, and there are better places to place your points in rather than increase duration.

4) You'll definitely need VIT. Once you get just enough DEX for max block, I would start investing in STR & VIT in a 2 : 3 ratio (since you'll likely have a lot of DEX, you won't need as a high a STR as a conventional C/C kicker to get reasonable kick damage).

Another possible option is putting all your remaining points in STR for a really powerful, but also fragile build(commonly called a Titan), but doing so is very risky, and you'll probably have to give up BoS for Fade in order to make up for your life deficiency.

PS. Nice avatar. :) What does it say?

3. flapserdk

flapserdk IncGamers Member

1. I think it’s a good idea to use dual claws on switch when you face for example Burning Souls or other monsters with ranged elemental damage, because you can block lightning, fire balls and poison etc with dual claws. Aim for a WB block around lvl 16. You can also pump some points in Dragon flight. You don’t need to max it, but every points gives you additional 25 % ED.

2. NEVER more than one point in Blade Shield (BS), because the damage bonus is very low. BS is more useful in PvP than PvM.
    3. Never more than 1-5 points in BoS, because your skillers will pump it up in a decent lvl. BoS around lvl 10-12 with skillers works fine.
    4. Life is very important for a kicker, so only use enough strength to use Storm and enough dex to get max block, and the rest in Vitality. You should have at least 1k life with gear.

It’s a good idea to load your assa with Crushing Blow (CB) gear, because it will increase her damage output significantly. Aim for at least 50 % CB.

Good luck

4. Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Hmm, elemental damage... that's one of my concerns too. I guess I can have something like Barana's Star or Gimmershred + Tiamat's Rebuke on switch versus PIs. Elemetal damage on weapons transfer to kicks right?

Instead of PS, can I like... max Death Sentry (for radius) or 1 Death Sentry then max Fire Blast (for more shots)? Izzit a good idea? The reason i dont like PS in this build is that it needs synergies to work. While Death Sentry only needs maxing DS or Fire Blast with my remaining sps without altering my plan and can easily provide 2 additional elemental damages. (Lightning, Fire)

Guess I'll stick to 5 BOS and 1 BS, =).

I guess I'll have around 156 str for req of Storm Shield, enoguh dex for max block, then the rest in vit, like you suggested.

I will have 1 pt in Dragon Flight as a utility.

Yep, lovely crushing blow, Im using Guillaume's Face right now, very helpful.

I'll post my equipment plan later, coz I havent think about it yet, but Storm Shield's in it, =).

@Naliworld :
    Thanks, that's the scan of my traditional name chop/stamp, so that's my Chinese name carved on it, most Chinese and Japanese, or even Korean (not sure tho) have one, they can be used as a signature. You can get one for yourself too in asian countries for a pretty low price depends on the quality of the stamp stone. Be sure to get the red colored "ink" called "Zu Sha" (It's a kind of mineral) so that you can chop it.

5. Duncan Idaho

Duncan Idaho IncGamers Member

Hi !

It's been quite a long time since i have not posted here !
    If I remerber correctly, the 'effect' of CB diminishes with the number of player right ? -roughly, it deals as much dmg should you play in 1 player mode or 8 players mode no ?

Concerning sockets ... Jwls with +elem dmg are not efficient with DTalon right ?

Finally, i've search through the forum but could not find the answer ... Only the mods of the primary claw will be used with kicks ? (I'm thinking of socketing a claw with a Ber rune ... if I ever have another one :) )

6. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

W/S works just fine. Almost all the ranged attacks can be completely ignored once you toss up a Cloak of Shadows.

I would definitely max Death Sentry, but FB is only worth an extra 2 points (brining it to 3 for the first extra shot). Frankly, if you don't finish this build by level 80 I would be shocked. That is one reason not many people list a full skill distribution for this build. Although, as Naliworld mentioned, adding points into Lightning Sentry is a good choice for another form of damage.

My $.02 on equipment: read this. It's a guide I put together a while ago. The IAS information in this forum is more up to date, but all the equipment info in the link is good. You don't need to read the rest of the thread, but it wouldn't hurt too much.

edit
    Crushing Blow damage is not scaled up the way it used to be in previous patches. On the other hand, you are still best off at 100% CB (or as clsoe to it as you can get).

Jewels with elemental damage work just great - and facets work even better (especially if you decide to focus on a certain type of damage). The main thing to consider is that you will usually want those sockets for resistances.

Only passive mods work from the secondary claw. CB, OW, elemental damage, and so on are only effective from the primary claw. Passive bonuses such as +skills, FHR, and resists work great.

7. Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Also, in Nightmare, CB is capped to something like 20% and in hell, 50%. Even with the caps, CB is still very useful.

I'm using a single claw or weapon, so I dont have to worry about the parimary claw bonus thingie. =)

8. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Um, there isn't a cap on CB... you're thinking of Static Field.

9. Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Izzit? Fabulous then, lol. My LOD memory must be very very rusty, haha. Thanks for telling me.

10. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

I'm not a big fan of elemental damage on equipment, as the number you see is inflated most of the time. Resistances in Hell really reduce the number a lot. Another problem is that you're usually only making use of 2/3 or 3/4 of the elemental damage listed on the weapon at any one time(due to almost all monsters having one immunity).

As for max DS, it's your call. Personally, I feel the CE is not very dependable, esp. in 4+ player games, and if you encounter PI packs with no available corpses(while Venom will help you out here, it'll be pretty slow going). Not to mention you're only doing half of normal CE damage against PIs. Don't count on DS's lightning damage unless you've put at least 30-ish points into its synergies.

PS. Thanks for the tidbit of info. :) I live in an Asian country(Singapore) and I'm not even aware of this. :lol:

11. Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Well I can always change weapons, they're not cursed, lol.

Also, most monsters only have like 1 immunity, only bosses have multiple immunities, and that's quite rare, it's not like a whole map is crawling with bosses with Poison + Physical immunes, right? =)

I like PS, but too many of my assassins have PS already, and in this case I feel that 2 types of damage + elemental damage should be enough. PS is a great skill, but it also needs synergy to be powerful enough, and if I'm fighting monsters who is immune to the element of the synergy I chose, then the points are wasted as well.

If you're talking about PIs, I dont mind killing a bit slow. Plus Decrep from Reaper's Toll should help a bit too.

Btw, I'm almost done with my assassin's leveling. Beaten hell, all skills are pumped, except for the DS, half way. I guess I'll leave it like that. It's time to start another new assassin!

PS : Then we're neightbours! I'm from Malaysia, haha.