Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pulse shock runes - weird and useless?

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by MrSmith, Apr 23, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 1696

1. MrSmith

MrSmith IncGamers Member

Pulse shock runes - weird and useless?

as for now, you get access to explosive bolt pretty early (lvl9) and it is SO STRONG. why on earth did they put this this early while all the other rune effects seem to suck?
    and can someone explain to me what the difference between "piercing orb" and "living lightning", except that living lightning is unlocked a lot later and seems to do the same but a lot weaker?? wtf??
  2. Dahmer

Dahmer IncGamers Member

Re: Pulse shock runes - weird and useless?

Not sure about explosive bolt since I didn't use it but I can see one major difference between piercing orb and living lightning. Living lightning looks like the aoe version of piercing orb.
  3. YOUR

YOUR IncGamers Member

I was allways wondering about the "aoe damage on kill" abilities, that mostly seemed overpowered to me. Maybe mobs in the later gamestages have significantly higher HP then we deal damage...

I think the piercing orb, is pretty much what lightning is Diablo 2. It drifts forward, deals heavy damage (i expect this rune to become fairly popular). As for living lightning, I really don't know. Maybe a short time summon? Or it can probably deal damage multipple times. Another application would be it dealing damage to a lot of opponents at once, giving high chances to proc passives and criticals and thus other effects. We'll see i guess
  4. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

AOE damage on kill can become pretty useless as monsters take more hits to kill. Whether that actually happens later on in the game or not is obviously not yet known.
  5. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

They all seem to have uses. Fire bolts could be particularly useful if there are any items that buff fire damage.

Piercing Orb sounds like it works like Frozen Orb in D2, which you might say was a pretty good skill.
  6. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

The explosive bolt looks to get a bit less entertaining in later levels, as it mentions "explosion on kill". This will be harder todo later on i guess. The firebolts version is just a means to get some fire signature spell, which is not present otherwise!

Living Lightning will be interesting to see. Sounds a bit like a summoned being.
  7. Razehel

Razehel IncGamers Member

Living Lightning can be seen in the Wiz spotlight video at 2:39:
    http://youtu.be/VgAoVpBohas

An advantage it has over the other rune effects is that it looks to have a predictable, straightforward path. I'm sure it pierces like Piercing Orb does, except it does 1/3 of the damage so I wonder how often it's able to strike a stationary enemy, let alone one charging at you.

I'm looking forward to seeing just how big this so-called "giant orb" is too, though I'd be surprised if its Meteor-sized despite the fact that it's supposed to be 3 shock pulse bolts combined. Seems like it should be hitting a bit harder than a single bolt, but maybe its relatively predictable zig-zag path + pierce will make it one of the more reliable Shock Pulse rune effects damage-wise.
  8. Elfik

Elfik IncGamers Member

Nice, I like that living lightning thing. I would expect piercing orb moves faster to make up for the higher damage, or something. I think shock pulse is a nice iconic diablo skill. It mght end being the worst signature skill, but if so they'll patch it hopefully.
  9. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Wow, I didn't notice Living Lightning in that video, really nice catch Razehel. It works like the Mage's Flame Orb in WoW, which was an amazing spell idea. I really like it.
  10. YOUR

YOUR IncGamers Member

To be honest we dont really know if this is correct. The video has been taken with the use of a server emulator, thus its possible that the living lightning might move at different speed or have some sort of AI
  11. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

The linked video was the official Wizard spotlight released by Blizzard. :)