Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Project - Critless Tank barbarian build.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Asmodeous, Feb 5, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 4655

1. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Firstly, let me say that the idea for this project is not mine. It was inspired by a guide posted on the battle.net barbarian forums by the8thark.

Right, so what is this build about? well, it's a cookie mould breaker, a character who does not use any critical hit or damage from items or skills. It's a new idea which I think will be viable in v1.07 with the planned changes to Ruby effects when socketed into weapons and the new Archon craftable items.
    Instead of the normal godly item wannabe's, the critless builds "trifecta" items are Primary stat, Average damage and IAS. The original guide written by the8ark was comprehensive, but didn't go far enough into boosting the builds DPS. The OP's character the guide is based on has only 35k dps. But old asmo was inspired by the guide and knowing what is coming with v1.07, I punched some numbers into an online calculator and figured that 100k dps and more was very achievable from items that most people do not want.

So, for this barbarian, I plan to go with a big nasty socketed two handed sword. Into this I'll plug the shiniest Ruby I can muster, build the strength over 3,000 and have average damage on every item I can.
    The new craftable amulet, armor, braciers and gloves all can start with 200+ strength and 6 variable slots. All I need do is roll IAS and average damage on any of those six slots for the win. As a side spin off, If I happen to actually roll a nice CC/CD item, well I have my 50%/400% SnB barb who would love such items. It's a plan.

With IAS on every available slot, a two handed sword is going to be waved around rather quickly. Grandfather or Warmonger are the likely candidates. Grandfather will boost the life very nicely while warmonger has very nice life steal.

Skills? well, Im not sure atm. Obviously I have some freedom with my passives as Ruthless is out of the question. Weapon master and Iron skin are sure things and probably animosity. For the overall build, well perma anything is unlikely as I can't use battlerage or overpower. So there is the tried and trusted HotA or Rend/revenge builds. It's going to have to be a low fury build without generating fury on crits. I know the rend/revenge build will work here and the bul kathos trio could work as well. It's not like skills are hard to change.

So off I go. Here is the character. Wish me luck and feel free to check her out every now and again and see how im doing.
    Oh, and if you find any nice tasty str/ias/average damage toys, I promise to pay far more than the merchant will for them!
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  2. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

I made a totally critless DH focusing on Sentry (sentry cannot crit so you get your full dps into the turret). She reached around 100k dps and had alot of survivability and a huge attack speed. The most important stat to have is + average dmg on rings and amulets. Search for at least 45+. My monk borrowed some of her gear though so I cannot show you her stats atm.

A thing to note is that you will have an insane attack speed. So try to focus on skills that work well with that. You can probably get a pretty insane fury generation based on that attack speed (at least 2.5 attacks/s), so going for Thrive on Chaos should be a viable option. But then you should go for dual wield in stead of 2-hander and socket both with rubies.

The go for either dagger/sword in main hand for the 15% increased dmg or, mighty weapon for extra fury regen (if you need it to keep WoTB alive).

Here is the build I had in mind. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#aSXVkP!YXW!YZaacc

Try it if you like it. I would love to try it myself :)
  3. Causa

Causa IncGamers Member

Snurrflint, am I missing something from your build? Where is the fury spender? If I understand it correctly you only gain more fury if you're not already full. So you would need some spammable spender like ww, HotA or maybe sprint with run like the wind. Also in this case Berserker rage passive would not be very usefull. I'm not totally familiar with all mechanics so maybe I'm missing something.

-Causa :thumbup:
  4. Asmodeous

Well, the character is progressing slowly. I planned to spend several hours playing it yesterday during my day off, which was the exact time the servers where down for maintenance. :badteeth:
    None the less, I still managed to reach level 36 act 1 nightmare so far.

The item search has begun. I found a nice hellfire ring I forgot I had on my DH's templar. All resists, strength and average damage. For the other ring I searched the Ah for str/ias/average and tried in vain to wade thru them all as they all had CC or CD as well. In the end I arranged by "buyout" lowest price first and voila, rings with no crit chance/damage and all for nix. My first bargain of the day.

Feeling warm and fuzzy I searched for some amulets, all rather nice then searched for a blackthorne's duncraig cross and found a beauty. Strength, average damage, IAS, vitality and life%. It blew the budget I wanted to spend on an amulet but well worth it.

Back to saving gp mode again, I picked up a nice war monger sword, 1270 dps with 240 odd strength, tasker & theo gloves with 200 something strength and 9% ias and a socket for more strength and put a bid on a 190 odd strength mempho. I quickly found that mempo's with over 200 strength are pricey, but sub 200 str are where the bargains are.

Next, I hope that lacuni's without Crit chance are cheap. Im thinking I might need some all resistance so I'll try my luck at sniping a lacuni with AR, 9% IAS and as much strength as I can get.

Also, two part Blackthornes set bonus is a nice idea and the leggings is the obvious choice. I think for the beginning I'll borrow them from my primary barb which has 160 str/170 vit approx with armor.
    Im considering two part IK as well here. I have a spare belt which I havent' had any luck selling so far, it has 196 strength, 5% life, 3.0% life steal and revenge skill bonus. Combined with the war monger this barb won't lack for life replenishment that's for sure. The second IK part will have to be either boots or chest, neither are cheap. Im thinking maybe not for the IK two part which leaves the belt slot open for black thornes perhaps. Hmmm.

The problem I look like having with this build is all resists. I wont have any AR on the amulet, gloves and probably the chest piece and belt and without IK two part set, im behind the 8 ball so I pretty much need AR on every other slot. Luckily mempo's have good AR.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  5. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

Edit: Technology fail... managed to post a draft instead of saving it, then my phone restarted, then the forum app had issues... Sorry for the double (or more?) Post. Corrected version should be below.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. tougeznut

You really got my attention. I'm at work right now, and can't wait to get home and do some experimenting with a critless build. This gives me very high hopes for the return of the true Frenzy barb. Here are my suggested skills with some flexibility with runes:

Left click: Frenzy (sidearm for AOE, triumph for life steal, maniac for 20% damage boost)
    Right click: Furious charge (merciless assault - good escape skill and great AOE)
    1) War Cry (impunity if you need res, hardened wrath if you need armor)
    2) Battle rage (marauder's rage)
    3) Ground stomp (wrenching smash - to draw them all together, good synergy with brawler passive)
    4) Rend (Ravage for larger AOE, Blood lust for leech)

Passives:
    Weapon mastery (15% damage bonus with a sword!)
    Berserker's rage (25% damage bonus with max fury... and you'll be at max fury)
    Brawler (30% bonus when surrounded)

To summarize the passive damage potential here: maniac (20%) + marauder's rage (30%) + weapon mastery (15%) + berserker's rage (25%) + brawler (30%) = ...Wait for it... 120%!!!

That looks pretty darn good to me. Especially because most of the gear for this build is MUCH cheaper than the popular crit build gear. Attack speed can be stacked up to +96% (using every possible ias slot) if dual wielding giving you 2.74 APS with a 1.4 attack speed sword! After frenzy stacks and the ias potential rolls on swords this can be a VERY fast APS build. My friends I think 1.0.7 and the ruby damage bonus will make this a serious contender for alternatives to the Sprint barb.

Edit: Got home and tried it out! Spent about ~10m trying a few different things out and I have formed a better opinion about it. I originally thought this would be best with dual wielding... and that may be the case... if you're obscenely rich. A 1-handed sword with +str, a socket, and 1150+ dps is upwards of 300m right now. I found a 1450 dps Grandfather with life leech for 4m and it worked better at 2.0 APS than dual wielding twin 1150 dps 1-handers with life leech and str at 2.5 APS.

My profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tougeznut-1970/hero/25023167
    Base dps: 75603 Fully buffed & surrounded: 126k
    Base armor/AR: 7000/700 Buffed Armor/AR: 8600/860
    I did a couple runs on MP3 in Act3 and I never died. The only time I came close was a reflect champ mob with about 6 arcane sentries out that kept hitting me with mortars... I charged away and stomped them to me to ended it quickly. It is a very fun change from the ww/nado "spin-to-win" class... but it doesn't even come close to matching the killing speed. With my ww/nado set-up and gear I have a base dps of 125k, and a fully buffed dps of around 250k, and we know that stat sheet dps doesn't even come close to estimating true dps with nados.

This still is a VERY viable build for anyone who wants to tank (HC especially), and anyone who wants to play D3 without submitting to crit chance. With enough luck and gold, you could potentially break 100k base dps, but 75k was the best I could do with 10m (not including gear I already wore) and a couple of hours.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Asmodeous

Thanks for the post tougeznut. Your thoughts are very similar to mine on many points.

Right, well I reached level 60 over the weekend and it became time to load up the goodies. The warmonger quickly proved inadequate. 250 strength and 5.8% life steal is very nice indeed but ultimately, 1270 dps just isn't as good as a 1510 dps grandfather with socket for 2 million gp.

Skill wise well, things are very unconventional. Because this character has very little chance of generating fury from critical hits, I decided to go for a build that doesn't use fury and therefore, use the berserkers rage passive.

The set in concrete skills are;

Frenzy. Single target fury generator. left mouse
    Cleave. Multiple target fury generator. right mouse.
    WotB insanity.
    War cry.

Passives are weapon mastery, berserker rage, blood thirst.

The other skills I am experiementing with atm, currently ground stomp and revenge.

Playing the character is a bit like trying to control a chipmonk on crack. Frenzy with a big two hander at way over 2.0 APS has to be seen to be believed and even cleave, usually a slow ponderous skill suddenly becomes rather good.
    Getting used to using two fury generators takes a bit of getting used to. For elites and bosses, frenzy and WotB insanity is a brilliant combo and for the trashies, the big two hander combined with revenge and cleave clears the screen pretty darn quickly.

Mp4 feels pretty good for the character at this point. But with v1.07 and the extra 100 or 120 damage socketed into the weapon, it should ramp up to mp5 pretty well.

At this point im still juggling the equipment load out. 100k dps is very possible but it isn't very budget friendly. I managed to build the strength up to 2300 for 75k dps. every 100 strength after that adds 2.9k dps so 3,000 strength plus the v1.07 ruby will exceed 100k dps.

But to get that sort of strength I need items such as a 250+ strength mempo, boots either ice climbers or firewalkers, those two items just thermo nucleared any sort of hope of doing this on a budget.

So to summarize, budget is good up to about 70-80k dps I figure in v1.07. But after that the massive price difference for higher end items puts the build into the 100 million plus league very quickly.
    Still, if you have that sort of loot available or get lucky enough to find those sorts of toys, this could be a very fun and viable build to consider.
  8. blinkyvv

blinkyvv IncGamers Member

you need a grandfather? 1260 dps, 490 str 165 vit, 16% life, 11% IAS
    -1.22 APS
  9. tougeznut

I put a bid on a 1530 dps grandfather with a socket last light. I'm hoping when the servers are back up that I won. I imagine a 1650 dps (after ruby) will bump the base DPS closer to 100k, and I can give this another shot. Excited to try it out with 1.0.7 live.

Edit:
    Base: 90k dps & Buffed (and surrounded): 178k dps w/ 1736 dps grandfather (w/ radiant star ruby)

I tried some of the skills you suggested and found that it does work better with two fury generators instead. I dropped frenzy for Bash (punish) and used that to buff Cleave (broad sweep). With the 3% life steal belt and a 700+ LoH amulet I managed just fine on MP2 with only the occasional use of rend. Frenzy just doesn't hit hard enough (even with a 12% extra damage from the belt...). I might even suggest buffing cleave even more if you can find it on a belt for a decent price. Since rend doesn't seem necessary I'm going to try to use revenge in there for those sticky situations instead. I can't really agree with the use of WotB at all with this build though. The extra 100% damage is nice, but elites already die within 10-15 seconds, and I think an escape skill like leap, or charge would be a better utility.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013