Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Problem with farming keys

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by sangfagel, May 5, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 2097

1. sangfagel

sangfagel IncGamers Member

I am trying to farm keys. Everything was well in the beginning. I got planes and one of every key. Then I got 8 keys of destruction in 20 tries, which is exact what I could expect playing MP4.
    But my luck (and any logic) has ended in Act 2. I killed Sokahr Keywarden 6 times on MP4 and 5 times more on MP5 without a single key drop. Since probability of such event is 0.208% I start start to believe that my “bad luck†is not accidental. Has anybody similar problem? Or maybe an idea about a reason to my failure?
    ... And yes - I stack 5 Nephalem valor before I enter Oahlgur Oasis - use to get some extra elites there as well
  2. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

There is only one thing that affects key drops and that's monster power.
    At monster power 4 there is a 60% chance that the key will not drop.
    That percentage doesn't govern a collection of runs.
    Instead, it's a percentage that applies to a single instance of a key drop.
  3. sangfagel

Well, in every INDIVIDUAL case was probability of non drop 60% (monster power 4) and than 50% (monster power 5). Probability for non drop in the entire sequence is different though:
    0.6*0.6* 0.6*0.6* 0.6*0.6*0.5*05*0.5*05*0.5=0.001458=0.1485%

Since it is more likely that I am stupid than unlucky, so I am trying to discover what I am doing wrong
  4. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

If you get 5 stacks of NV and then kill the warden on any MP1-9 without getting the key, you're just unlucky.
  5. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

This

After you do ~1000 runs at, say, mp4, you will probably average around 400 keys, maybe 50-100 less or more.
  6. Katniss

Katniss IncGamers Member

Everyone else has pretty much sufficiently answered your question/issue, but to add anecdotal evidence, there was a time where I would always get keys when going on runs with friends no matter what MP. And then a few nights ago I did a few runs with friends on MP8 for Act 2 keys and got zero. I think it was maybe 4-5 runs without a single key. Sometimes luck just isn't on your side! :)
  7. sangfagel

Thanks for all response!
    Playing statistics with little samples can be pretty misguiding - I should know better. The only stupid thing I did was calculating probability.
    Anyway keys start to drop for me again.
    Regards
    Sangfagel
  8. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

That being said, I can't wait to NOT play act3 for the next 100 keys :p
    I've stopped doing the Warden when I got to 52 keys, because I want to craft all of the machines at once.
    As soon as the patch is live on EU, I'll be farming 50xa1 + 50xa2 keys
  9. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Amen to that! :D
  10. Snelephant

Snelephant IncGamers Member

I noticed a similar anomaly for the act I keywarden. About 50 kills on MP0 with 5NV with no drops. That is less than a one percent chance. Whereas Acts 2 and 3 seemed to drop keys at the expected rate. Again, perhaps the sample size is too small to expect the average, but I wouldn't rule out a bug somewhere.
  11. Flux

Flux Administrator

Personally, I like to save my keyrun complaints until the HR crafting stage, when I can lament the terrible rolls I keep getting.
  12. sangfagel

Just of curiosity: What has “the patch†to do with it? Why do you wait with your farming of a1 and a2 keys until patch release?
  13. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

With 1.0.8 you get increased monster density in acts 1 & 2 on MP 1 and higher. Meaning farming for keys will also net him XP and potentially loot (in acts 1 & 2), instead of being a complete waste of time if he doesn't find a key.

I'm hoping I presumed your intentions correctly :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
  14. sangfagel

Oh, sure! ... But 1.08 is active in EU allready and there´s nothing wrong with monstes density. He don´t need to wait any longer :)
  15. Nightswipe

Nightswipe IncGamers Member

This is a little off topic but I felt this question isn't enough to make an entire thread of. I am farming for Leoric's signet at the moment(soon found 30 legen but no ring). I play on MP 10 normal. I have never encountered the keywarden in Dahlgur Oasis but I just did now.
    Is his appearance random in normal?
  16. InteNuIgen

InteNuIgen IncGamers Site Pal

Strange, since 1.0.8 the keywardens should only occur in Inferno
  17. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

I do think something is weird with Act 1 keyruns. I started a spreadsheet to keep track of this, im currently at 14 runs on mp2 with no key. I keep running the same warden until i get a key, then i move to the next act. well here is my small sheet since i started keeping score. I'm gonna keep going with this to get a better sample size.

[TABLE="width: 351"]
    Act 1 Act 2 Act 3 MP1 10% [TD="align: right"]12[/TD] [TD="align: right"]12[/TD] [TD="align: right"]8[/TD] [TD="align: right"]10[/TD] [TD="align: right"]2[/TD] [TD="align: right"]5[/TD] [TD="align: right"]44[/TD] [TD="align: right"]3[/TD] [TD="align: right"]6[/TD] MP 2 20% [TD="align: right"]4[/TD] [TD="align: right"]6[/TD] [TD="align: right"]7[/TD] [TD="align: right"]12[/TD] [TD="align: right"]1[/TD] [TD="align: right"]7[/TD] [/TABLE]
  18. sangfagel

43 failed tries in row on mp1 is impressive! Probability would be 0.9 raised to 44th power. It is very unlikely.

Playing Blizz games a long time I can say that all of them can be reduced to throwing a dice. Hundreds of thousands people throwing their dices every day hour after hour, year after year.

It makes possible that even (ALLMOST) impossible events can occur. Today I rescued a guy in a2, oasis - the one who was tied to a pale by imperial guards and leaved to die. He dropped Manticore for me. How likely is it?

And...I don´t want to hear any “congratulations”! I would loose 114116.2 dps if I used it.:badteeth: