Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Problem opening the Cow Level

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Falameezar, Aug 7, 2007. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1291

1. Falameezar

Falameezar IncGamers Member

Problem opening the Cow Level

I've just come back to D2:LoD after a very long break and I find my Matriarch Javazon can't open the portal to the cow level on Hell. I'm using the latest patch (1.11b). Any ideas as to what might be wrong?
  2. Naab

Naab IncGamers Member

You killed the king...
  3. AlienBoyz

AlienBoyz IncGamers Member

Another possible reason is you have upgraded the character from Classic and even though you were able to do cow runs you now have to kill Baal in order to do them again.
  4. WesleyJ

WesleyJ IncGamers Member

I don't think she would be a Matriarch if she converted from Classic, until she killed Baal.

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

You are using a muled-over Wirt´s leg and have not fetched a new one in that difficulty?
  6. Falameezar

I have killed Baal. The Wirt's Leg is current. I used to farm the Cow Level frequently with that character on Hell before I stopped playing. Has anything changed with regard to the Cow Level since 1.10 or even 1.09? I can't recall at which point I stopped playing.

When I try to transmute the Leg and the Tome of Town Portal, she says: "I can't do that yet."
  7. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Try open the character in ATMA and see if the quest box "Cow King is Dead" is checked for the difficulty you tried to make the portal in.
  8. AlienBoyz

She would have been a Matriach because Hell Diablo was killed in Classic, upon conversion to LoD She is still a Matriach but now has to kill Baal to do Cows again - or am I wrong?

9. Falameezar

I have killed Baal.
    Down the bottom of the screen in ATMA (on Hell) it says "*Cow King is dead".
    What does that mean? I know he's dead, I've killed him plenty of times.
    Has there been something new introduced with the Cow King since I've been gone?
  10. AlienBoyz

You are stuffed as far as that character is concerned as an opener - either you or someone in a MP game has killed the CK and got the quest.

Your only option is to use another char to open the level for you - the bit of good news about this is now you can kill the CK as much as you like and not ruin the quest for someone else!

I don't believe anything has changed with the dynamics of the CK - it works as it always has except you have to kill Baal to do it not Diablo as before.
  11. Sir Lister of Smeg

Sir Lister of Smeg IncGamers Member

There has changed something, before patch 1.10 you could kill the cow king as often as you want, now you can only do it once per difficulty.

Anyway, the note on the cow king is dead is still present when you change the difficulty under the quest list, right? I just find it odd what she says, "I can't do that yet" doesn't sound like something sensible when not being able to open it due to already having killed the king (only sensible when not yet having killed Baal on that difficulty), I thought that when trying to transmute things in the cube and not being able to the characters don't in general say anything.

12. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Why, back in my 1.09 bnet days (shudder), was I constantly subjected to "OMG DONT KILL TEH KING !!!11!!11!!!!one"? Was this updated via server-side patching on bnet?

And, does this mean that my 1.09 SP chars have been avoiding killing the cow king all this time for no reason?

-CG

13. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

Hmm...I'm very hazy on old patches now as I age into decrepitude, but I'm pretty sure killing the King has been a no-no for longer than just 1.10.
  14. Falameezar

Thanks for all your help everyone. I will have to use another character to open the portal - thanks to AlienBoyz for that suggestion.

And as I said, I have killed the Cow King on Hell many times with that character and have always been able to re-open the portal. I have never heard of a Cow King quest until now.

Nice work everyone, happy gaming!