Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pride Merc

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hairless, Apr 4, 2012. | Replies: 34 | Views: 2422

1. Hairless

Hairless IncGamers Member

Pride Merc

I guess i will have to replace Reapers for Pride, one day.

Hang on...doesn't Reapers basically double my damage output and Pride would only increase it by < 1.3 times?

(note: i am Straferzon)

Unless i went an equipped an Atma's...hmmm. Maybe just go Doom. Shrug. Nothing really seems to be worth it to me. Anyone really keen for a Cham?
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

3. Fyourics

Fyourics IncGamers Member

Re: Pride Merc

I'm in the same boat as you. I have two chams and I'm having a hard time deciding which of the three cham runewords to go for.
  4. Hairless

my estimate of double is based on monsters having an average of 50 DR.

I'm going to put the Cham up for sale. My policy is to play self found, so i only accept PGems which i will use to reroll Ball GC's, and then sell them for more PGems, and so on.
  5. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

If you have an alternate source of Amp/Decrep it could work out.

But for the most part, -50% resistance usually wins out (note: it's not even *1.45 or whatever Conc Aura gives, since you have other sources as well, such as non-weapon %ED, dexterity, etc.), unless:
    - Your Bowie is tweaked out, pimped-my-ride style to the point where extra damage is more beneficial than the 50% resistance drop.
    - You're doing a speed run and can actually kill faster than Decrep triggers.

Congrats either way. :)
  6. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

Make a zod -> BOTD!

No they don't, not even close. I think monsters have about 25 DR on average, only a few get 50. Mephisto for instance only has 20 DR.

Regardless, reapers is still more damage. However the merc actually needs to hit stuff for decrep to go off, while concentration aura will e on all the time. This is particularly true for a bowie, where you might find that all the stuff dies before the merc reaches them.

7. Hairless

Thanks.

OT: omg: I was reminiscing about "Sticky Splooge" the other day...is he still around?
  8. Kaerion

Kaerion IncGamers Member

I might be wrong, but I thought all monsters in hell get a 50% boost in physical DR? Then an estimate of 50 DR is about right imo.
  9. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

It depends on what you mean by 'boost in DR' but in general, that's wrong.

Let's take a few random monsters, assuming Arreat summit can be trusted
    Devilkin: 0 0 15 ( normal nightmare hell )
    Warped one: 50 66 75
    Wraith: 30 40 100
    Flesh archer: 20 20 15

Devilkin's resistance is increased by 15%. Warped one by 9%. Wraith by 60% ( becomes immune ). Flesh archer drops by 5%

So in general physical resistance changes from monster to monster and there is no rule like that.

You might be confusing it with 'stoneskin' modifier on bosses, which does indeed increase physical resistance by 50%.

10. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

I think in some previous patch they gave everything in Hell 50% DR, but it's now closer to ~25 as zaph said.

Like he also pointed out, Decrep of course only works when it's procced while Conc is always on. So it really depends how quickly stuff dies. The same applies to Atma's.

Keep the Cham and wait for another one to drop so you can make BotD :D
  11. Hairless

The Pits are ~20 DR average, RoF and CS combined ~50.
  12. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Take into account that Pride doesn't have ED on the weapon. Your merc will do crap damage with it, and will die alot(due to leeching less). I'd make a Hand of Justice. Auras are cool.
  13. Hairless

The concept posted here interests me, but probably comes up short especially when value for money is included.

By the way, the 1.13d patch notes say "- Fixed another issue where players were able to stack auras in an unintended way."

Why it is so secretive is beyond me, does it mean that aura's from items don't stack anymore or what?
  14. RuddyC

RuddyC IncGamers Member

i think that was a b.net bug where mercs' aura stacking could be bugged by equipping and removing the same item multiple times. AFAIK, aura stacking from different items still work.
  15. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

That particular 'bug' was to have two of the same Dream item (2x Dream shield, or 2x Dream helm,) and swap the characters Dream Helm with the mercs Dream Helm (or replace both 'helm's' with 'shield') where the aura granted from Dream wasn't removed properly. From doing this, the auras granted weren't removed properly when the new aura was added, resulting in additive aura levels. Through this, the aura granted by Dream could reach rediculous levels, one-shotting basically everything.

Legitimate aura stacking is having various auras effective at the same time (a Paladin with Fanat, a Might merc, and a RW equipping a 3rd aura): stacking multiple varying auras at the same time.

Edit: pwned.
  16. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

I think you can also still put on 2 dreams for a level 30 holy shock.
  17. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

^Yep.

Unsynergised lvl 30 Holy Fire does like 270 damage... an interesting way to make the fire side of a elemental bowa (FA/EA) more viable, but nothing to write home about.
  18. zgpmf

zgpmf IncGamers Member

You're forgetting that ED from Conc aura aplies to the merc too so that makes up for not having ED on weapon.

19. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

Not really. The base damage on his weapon is going to be about 250 max(if ethereal superior collosus voulge or something similar). If you merc has 1000 ED(the sort that pride, might and strength give), he's going to do 2500 max damage. Many polearms don't have very good minimum damage, so his averege damage is going to be maybe 1800. I guess it's not completely horrible, but it's quite low.
  20. zgpmf

zgpmf IncGamers Member

Well, yeah, if you want to be a nitpick. :p

I'm not a big fan of merc's high damage (but of course the more the better), if I'm a caster I usually do all the killing and if I'm melee, well, again, I do the killing thing, so I only find him useful in one on one situations vs a tough minion boss and since I'm mostly playing on p8 there is no point in waiting for my merc to kill him.